“Weekend getaway, almost perfect hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Hermitage Hotel

You added L'Hermitage Hotel to your Saves list
L'Hermitage Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   788 Richards Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 3A4, Canada   |
Special Offer
Travellers Choice Package
Ranked #1 of 96 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“Weekend getaway, almost perfect hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Each year a do a weekend Christmas getaway just before Christmas, and this year I decided on the L'Hermitage Hotel based on excellent reviews and reasonable cost. I'm an experienced traveler for both business and pleasure.

Overall this is an excellent hotel with exceptional service with only a couple minor tech related issues (see at bottom)

The location of the hotel is ideal, within only a couple of blocks of all the major downtown activity centres and transportation hubs. I was dropped off so did not have to worry about parking. Check in was efficient, pleasant and the staff are very welcoming. They made sure I had any information I needed about the hotel and the city.

My room was a corner regular room on the 5th floor. Not much of a view, but plenty of natural light during the day. The room is exquisitely decorated and appointed, and of a decent size. All the normal creature comforts were taking care of (with a minor exception noted below). The bathroom was spacious, with a nice sized tub and separate shower.

The bed was very comfortable and I had a good sleep. The room was quiet even though it is right next to the street.

there is a very nice lounge where you can relax and where they have a basic breakfast bunch (separate charge). The outdoor pool looked very inviting, but alas it was raining and cold, so did not venture out. There is an italian restaurant attached, but I decided to take in the many options for food around the downtown area.

I only had 2 minor issues with the room at the hotel:
- Internet speed is very poor. The wifi signal was strong, but average speed was barely 1Mbit/sec, making web pages load slowly and viewing online video almost impossible.
- there is no convenient power outlets. At the desk, you have to hut down behind the tv to plug in something on the floor. By the bed, there was no free outlets on either side, making it impossible to charge/use a device at the bed. this is ironic since the internet cable is located next to the bed. A simple bedside outlet, either separate or part of the lamp would be ideal.

these are minor issues, but given the high standard set by the hotel, and the fact most newer hotels do not have these issues, I find it surprising.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the hotel and staying again in the future.

Room Tip: Corner room is slightly larger than the regular size room, and has plenty of natural lighting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Hebrew first
Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We booked 3 nights for a pre-Christmas getaway and to celebrate my wifes 50. birthday. It was the perfect choice, A very nice and clean room, outstanding service from an amazing and friendly staff. It was a very special stay and we will come back to this exceptional boutique hotel in downtown Vancouver next time.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel in the heart of downtown Vancouver and we couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel service was excellent, with valet parking and pick up within minutes; very attentive doorman and concierge; friendly and helpful check in and support. We were provided with a corner room with floor to ceiling windows on two sides. Room was attractive with faux-fireplace, state of the art bathroom and bed superbly comfortable. I appreciated the very solid doors and high quality hardware, rugs and wallpapers plus Nespresso machine. The hotel was so clean that you could practically eat off the elevator floors,despite rainy weather outside.
Breakfast was very good, with delicious scrambled eggs and bacon, bagels,yogurt and very attentive service. Very well situated within walking distance of most of the downtown core. Can't speak for the spa, as didn't have time to use it. The only cavaet, and I am hard-pressed to say anything negative, would be to ensure the room is sufficiently warm before our check-in.

Room Tip: Corner room with two sides of windows.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We booked the Traveller's Choice two night special. Although we were attending an event at the Rosewood, we knew we made the right choice. The rooms are nicely appointed and contain everything you would need. It is the staff that makes this hotel so special. From the moment we came in the door to the minute we left, we felt like we were royalty. There was not a single moment when we did not feel like the most important guests in the hotel. From the valet to the front desk to the room staff to the breakfast servers, each and everyone of these people must have been carefully selected for their service skills and personality. We live 40 minutes from the hotel so staying in town is not something we would normally do, but we are already talking about returning in the spring for a weekend. The close location to everything made it easy to walk everywhere. Breakfast was fresh and hot and delicious, and the rooms were very comfortable.
Next time I will definately remember my bathing suit.

Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night at this hotel in December for a couple get away and shopping trip. We wanted somewhere nice with good service. I looked at the Fairmont and Four Seasons and the like online and was not that impressed with the quality for the price. We stayed at the Fairmont Whistler in May of this year and were not impressed at all. The rooms were tired and service was OK. We are not overall picky travelers and have stayed anywhere from high end to low end. Our main concerns, most of the time, are value for money, cleanliness and service.

We booked a suite and were upgraded (reasons unknown) to a suite with a kitchen and it was very nice, spacious, and very clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom lovely with a nice rain shower and deep tub. The kitchen was well organized and had everything that you would need. Nice high end appliances as well.

The best part of the experience was most definitely the service. As soon as we came in the door we were greeted with a smile. The check in was very efficient. As we were early they took our bags immediately with a reassurance that as soon as our room was ready it would be put in our room and they would call us on our cell phone to let me know the room was ready. The vehicle was taken and parked quickly and efficiently. Same for when we needed it again. I did not encounter one staff member there that did not have a smile on their face or a greeting for us. The manager greeted us personally and explained all the amenities. We ate in the restaurant on site. It was, again, great service and food was very delicious. Earlier in the evening we had a lovely snack in the lounge followed by a hot tub and even went in the pool! Again very nice.

Hotel was quiet and since there was construction across the road we received a 20% discount to use in the restaurant. We did not hear the noise when we were sleeping at all and we faced directly towards it.

I think this is a great hotel for romantic couple get away and for business. It is possible for families but it is very quiet so may not be great for families with smaller kids.

Location is great for shopping (Pacific Centre Mall down the street) Robson a block up. Robson square for ice skating. Good location for seeing a concert, going to Art Gallery or to a show. Any kind of food you would like is going to be accessible close by and Stanley park is some distance but easily bussed, driven too or for a longer walk.

Great service, nice hotel and good location.

Shawigan Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I recently was invited to a Mother/Daughter get-together held at this hotel so decided to stay there for the weekend. Absolutely no regrets, other than I did not take my bathing suit. One could not find a friendlier, well-run place to stay. Everyone working here has a knack of making you feel right at home the minute you arrive. Beautiful, comfortable rooms and a wonderful buffet breakfast just topped it off.

Room Tip: We were on the fifth floor facing Richards Street...had a wonderfully large deck, but unfortunately...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I booked L'Hermitage for one night while I was on lay over in Vancouver before my long haul flight the next day. I can't say enough about how impressed I was. First, the staff were so friendly and welcoming. What a pleasure to see genuine smiles and wow, what great service. The room was perfect and I can honestly say it was one of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in. The free WiFi access was wonderful and next time I'm through Vancouver, I'm definitely taking advantage of that gem of a pool I could see from my window. Totally recommend A++.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to L'Hermitage Hotel? Share your experiences!