“unusual” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Axum

Axum
1279 E Hastings Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V6A 1S4, Canada (Mt. Pleasant)
604-253-2986
Neighborhood: Mt. Pleasant
vancouver bc canada
“unusual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed our meal here. The atmosphere is a zero, the service is kind, and the food is, well, weird. I know north African food well, and have eaten Ghanaian food, but this was a little odd for me. They serve a sour, spongy bread made of teff - a grain native to parts of Africa - and a series of what I would call sauces. It was good, but strange, and all four of us experienced some intestinal surprise. It wasn't that we were sick, it was just that we ate lots of foods that we are not used to, and we all felt a little strange. The people who own the restaurant are lovely.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“I'll never eat here again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

If you're visiting Vancouver, trust me, there are really good Ethiopian restaurants in town. This isn't one of them. I went to get a to-go order. The restaurant was completey empty. Just me. I asked for extra 'bread' with my order and said I'd pay for it. I was told 'no' and that it was for her dinner business. I was really surprised to be told my business wasn't as important as her dinner crowd. I really don't care if the food was good, to be honest. If the service stinks, I don't go back, and the service stunk. Look up other places in town. There's a nice one on Commercial Drive. I always feel welcome at that restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Inexpensive, good food, nice veg selections.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We went to this restaurant for the first time, with the Veg Meetup group. The restaurant had arranged a buffet for us -- essentially all of the $8 veg menu items. They were generous with the food -- at other meetups, the restaurant let the dishes run out -- there was plentiful injera and lots of all of the other food, so people could fill their plates and get seconds if wanted.

Our meal consisted of spinach, cabbage and carrot, green beans, mild split peas, mushrooms, and spicy split red lentils. I particularly liked the spinach and spicy red lentils. I think the spinach was a favourite all around. Others, who were not used to spices, liked the mild yellow split peas. These were also nice, but somewhat generic.

As mentioned, all of the above are $8 on the regular menu. You can also order a "veg selection" choosing any 4 of them for $10. They have a couple of $10 dishes including marinated portobello mushroom.

For our group, there was a guy doing live music. Not sure if this is always the case. There was someone just helping out for the evening, doing his very best. They were attentive to filling water glasses.

There is a small parking lot (shared with an auto shop during the day) and free parking on the street; also on bus routes. Very easy to find. Bathroom was clean. Decor is fairly standard, not inspiring but pleasant enough. They seemed to have a full bar but we just drank Diet Coke with lime.

Can't comment on the non-veg items. However, we were so impressed with the spinach and red lentils, we will return just to eat these again. Looking forward to going by ourselves/with friends, rather than in a huge group.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roatan, Honduras
“Don't let the location scare you - Axum is amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I am not Ethiopian but I think I have been to every Ethiopian restaurant in Vancouver, and Axum is one of my favourites. I see a lot of people complaining about slow service at these restaurants but this is just the way the food and culture is - slow down and enjoy (just don't go if you're in a hurry). I love the owner here, she is the absolute sweetest lady and always helps people order if they're not familiar with the food. I have some allergies and she works around them beautifully. The vegetarian platter for $10 is a struggle to finish with so much food on it - I get this every time and I love it. Everything is spiced perfectly and the injera has a great tang to it. I would encourage everyone to check out this restaurant - while the 'hood is a little sketchy you will find Axum warm and inviting with delicious food.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Ethiopian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Who would have thought such a great restaurant would be hidden in this location? I had heard from a few friends that Axum was the best Ethiopian joint in town and I was not disappointed. Love the injera and the spicing! The atmosphere is the only thing stopping me from giving it 5 stars.

• Visited December 2011