“Delicious, creative cocktails and "fresh board"” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Eclectic
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
“Delicious, creative cocktails and "fresh board"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

First, the cocktails, the Tommy Collins was as refreshing as a mojito but more complex. The sangria take-off was also a pleasure. The rockfish with scallops was perfectly prepared. The wine list is well chosen with a good selection of BC and imported wines. The service really stands out - friendly, "real" - not fawning but attentive.
Limited number of tables so be sure to make reservations.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“A busy Friday night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

There was something about this place I didn't like but I can't pinpoint what it was.
The food was ok but not memorable; I wouldn't order the southern dish again; I'd try something else. The only dessert we wanted was sold out and it was the only Vegan dessert. That was a big disappointment, I guess we should have voiced what we wanted when we ordered out entrees.

The 2 people in our group that ordered the seafood dishes liked theirs. It was more like a cafe and not the nicest looking cafe and the prices were more in line with what you'd except for a nicer restaurant; the atmosphere needed something.

They did something wrong with our billing and got us a little confused. I just felt like things were too rushed. Perhaps you will have better luck. It's doubtful I would go out of my way to give them another try but if I were in that neighbourhood again, chances are I'd choose The Acorn over Grub any day. It wasn't bad and it wasn't good but the seafood was good!

There are many other restaurants we like much better.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“disappointed after reading great reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to Grub after reading great reviews about the restaurant. As a chef myself, I pay attention to the small details when serving food. The first and foremost is hot food, my food arrived lukewarm, and the vegtables were actually cold, the plate also stone cold. I had ordered the steel head trout which was cooked very nicely, moist and flakey. However, if you're going to leave the skin on at least crisp it up and serve it skin side up. There's nothing worse than slimey fish skin which is slightly warmer than room temp. The service was okay, although I had to ask for salt and pepper twice. Perhaps it was an off night, but I shall not be returning or recommending Grub

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, BC
“Tasty, intimate local option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really enjoyed my first experience at Grub, I will be returning!

Quite a small space, seats maybe 26-30 people in the whole restaurant. When we arrived it was full sans for one table for 4 with a reserved sign on it. The server didn't hesitate to remove the sign and seat us there. (guessing someone was late for their reservation).

Had a really hard time deciding on a dish, so many of them on the fresh sheet sounded fantastic.

Finally settled on the Arctic Char $19. Served with a delightful creamy seafood (crab & scallops) risotto and a few veggies (broccoli). The risotto was done to perfection and it was a fair sized serving. Definitely wasn't hungry after this!

My date opted for the 3 course option (for $30 receive a personal size antipasto, fresh menu item & dessert)

We shared the personal sized Pescitarian antipasto (Salmon gravlax with avocado salad, seafood ceviche, smoked trout brandade, chilled prawns with tomatillo sauce and purple cabbage slaw).
I'm assuming the full size order ($15) of the antipasto is more impressive, but i thought this was an excellent taster size... and was even enough to share on top of the main courses.

For dessert we shared a pear strudel with creme fraiche & caramel. This is probably a better solo sized portion. Tasty, but not the best part of the meal.

To drink we tried the Prohibition Punch ($24 even though their website states $19). This was delicious! I will be trying to replicate this recipe at home. Pimms, gin, lime syrup & ginger beer. Garnished with strawberries, cucumbers & pear slices. Comes in a huge punch bowl with tiny glasses. I would recommend the punch for a larger group, as there is quite a bit of ice melting in the bowl which waters down the flavor eventually.

Good was fantastic, service was quick and friendly, ambiance is pretty unique (almost feels like a cottage with rather strange wallpaper). Would probably recommend a reservation as I feel we were lucky to grab a seat on a thursday night.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Great Expectations - Exceeded!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

For the last 15 years, we 3 friends of old, meet to celebrate our birthdays. Sometimes it's a spa resort, a rented cottage on a gulf island, the beach, a whistler get away. This year, we had troubles coordinating our schedules and had to 'settle' for a dinner out. I knew the place was small, so when I made reservations I told them that we hadn't seen each other in a long time, one was coming from out of town, and it was one of our's birthday dinner, so best not to sit us in the middle of diners for their sakes as we were going to yakking all night. She told me that she couldn't guarantee it, but she'd try to find us a table slightly removed, and make a note that we would likely stay for the night so she wouldn't book the table for any later reservations. Although we arrived a little late, I noticed that the place was packed, but the best table in the house, in the corner by the front window was held for us. Good start. Oour tradition is to make a picnic out of it and share instead of order individual meals. We ordered the daily soup, a special salad, the bread with chipotle butter and humus plate, and the lamb from the board. Our server said, "why don't you just order the Fix prix meal - you get the same choices, but it's cheaper". Not to brag, but we've dined in a LOT of restaurants, around the world. The meal, the service, the vibe, the vegan gluten free dessert - DIVINE. Casual elegance at it's best. Although we didn't get our usual getaway, we all agreed that this was another stellar celebration, and for 3 hours, we got away.

• Visited December 2012