“Tasty, intimate local option” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Vancouver, BC
“Tasty, intimate local option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really enjoyed my first experience at Grub, I will be returning!

Quite a small space, seats maybe 26-30 people in the whole restaurant. When we arrived it was full sans for one table for 4 with a reserved sign on it. The server didn't hesitate to remove the sign and seat us there. (guessing someone was late for their reservation).

Had a really hard time deciding on a dish, so many of them on the fresh sheet sounded fantastic.

Finally settled on the Arctic Char $19. Served with a delightful creamy seafood (crab & scallops) risotto and a few veggies (broccoli). The risotto was done to perfection and it was a fair sized serving. Definitely wasn't hungry after this!

My date opted for the 3 course option (for $30 receive a personal size antipasto, fresh menu item & dessert)

We shared the personal sized Pescitarian antipasto (Salmon gravlax with avocado salad, seafood ceviche, smoked trout brandade, chilled prawns with tomatillo sauce and purple cabbage slaw).
I'm assuming the full size order ($15) of the antipasto is more impressive, but i thought this was an excellent taster size... and was even enough to share on top of the main courses.

For dessert we shared a pear strudel with creme fraiche & caramel. This is probably a better solo sized portion. Tasty, but not the best part of the meal.

To drink we tried the Prohibition Punch ($24 even though their website states $19). This was delicious! I will be trying to replicate this recipe at home. Pimms, gin, lime syrup & ginger beer. Garnished with strawberries, cucumbers & pear slices. Comes in a huge punch bowl with tiny glasses. I would recommend the punch for a larger group, as there is quite a bit of ice melting in the bowl which waters down the flavor eventually.

Good was fantastic, service was quick and friendly, ambiance is pretty unique (almost feels like a cottage with rather strange wallpaper). Would probably recommend a reservation as I feel we were lucky to grab a seat on a thursday night.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vancouver
“Great Expectations - Exceeded!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

For the last 15 years, we 3 friends of old, meet to celebrate our birthdays. Sometimes it's a spa resort, a rented cottage on a gulf island, the beach, a whistler get away. This year, we had troubles coordinating our schedules and had to 'settle' for a dinner out. I knew the place was small, so when I made reservations I told them that we hadn't seen each other in a long time, one was coming from out of town, and it was one of our's birthday dinner, so best not to sit us in the middle of diners for their sakes as we were going to yakking all night. She told me that she couldn't guarantee it, but she'd try to find us a table slightly removed, and make a note that we would likely stay for the night so she wouldn't book the table for any later reservations. Although we arrived a little late, I noticed that the place was packed, but the best table in the house, in the corner by the front window was held for us. Good start. Oour tradition is to make a picnic out of it and share instead of order individual meals. We ordered the daily soup, a special salad, the bread with chipotle butter and humus plate, and the lamb from the board. Our server said, "why don't you just order the Fix prix meal - you get the same choices, but it's cheaper". Not to brag, but we've dined in a LOT of restaurants, around the world. The meal, the service, the vibe, the vegan gluten free dessert - DIVINE. Casual elegance at it's best. Although we didn't get our usual getaway, we all agreed that this was another stellar celebration, and for 3 hours, we got away.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Something a little different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I have visited Grub several times over the years. What started off as a wonderful surprise for a tiny restaurant located on the busy Main Street has, unfortunately, deteriorated somewhat over the years.

Don't get me wrong - Grub is still a nice restaurant to dine - the atmosphere inside is great; the menu continues to feature a choice of beef, lamb, pork, vegetarian, and vegan (new for our most recent visit) as well as the daily special, and the tastes continue to be above average, even mildly delicious... however, the portions of the food has definitely gotten smaller each time we visit. Case in point: the rack of lamb has gone from a gigantic rack of five or six healthy-size pieces that would fill you completely to three or four thin slices that leave you hungry for more. To us, that is very disappointing.

The service quality has always been a little unique. The waitresses at Grub are not your typical ones - they are not necessarily unfriendly, but a little quirky to be sure. Service speed is decent, but food does not come all that quickly.

Two years ago if you ask me about returning to Grub I would jump up and down and scream "Yes!" If you ask me the same question now, I'd probably say, "Hmmm... sure." It still features good-quality food, but it is definitely not as good as it used to...

The restaurant, due to its small size, is crowded. Waitresses and patrons have a difficult time moving through, especially if someone big is sitting near the aisle.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Point Roberts, Washington
“Grub is small and busy and well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Grub is a Main Street, Vancouver neighborhood restaurant that is always busy (in fact usually over-crowded) and we have enjoyed our visits. It caters for the Vancouver tastes and idiosyncracies - lots of dishes are vegetarian and many can be made vegan-friendly, and the wait staff are helpful. Our first visit was memorable for trying their vegan ginger date sticky toffee pudding (cake) and we went back on our next visit to Vancouver just to have another piece. The recipe (as near as we can make it) has become a family favorite, thanks to Grub. I don't recommend this restaurant for the Howe Street crowd, but anyone who is more adventurous and less wanting to be seen should give it a try. I suggest calling ahead, though, as most nights it is very busy.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Best Food on Main Street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

So glad we chose Grub for our anniversary dinner. Minimal, clean, vintage decor brightens the small space (only a dozen or so tables). The entrees are listed fresh each day on a large chalk board and can be had as part of a three course meal or alone (we each had an entree and were totally satisfied). One meat, one chicken, a fish, one vegan, one vegetarian...truly inspired west coast fusion type meals. Every bite was delicious! Attentive but not overbearing service. More pricey than others in the vicinity but far superior. Reservations highly recommended as this place is packed almost every night. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited June 2012