“Our Favourite Ethiopian Restaurant in Vancouver” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #738 of 2,809 Restaurants in Vancouver
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
New Westminster, Canada
“Our Favourite Ethiopian Restaurant in Vancouver”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We've been going to Harambe's for years and each time we go, the food is just as delicious as the previous experience. It's time to share with you about this wonderful gem. The food is fresh, traditionally cooked and presented beautifully on a large round of injera bread for you to share together. You may also order mouth watering individual dishes. Be sure to try the carrot soup... it's amazing. We always leave there feeling full and satisfied. Ethiopian food is eaten with your hands and can be a romantic experience at any time. The owner, Daniel, expanded the premises a few years back and has beautifully decorated it with an Ethiopian flare of traditional artwork, colour and music. Be sure to pass by the kitchen and say thanks to the lady chef who humbly puts her love into every bite.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Great Ethiopian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Great Ethiopian food, decent ambiance, so-so service. But the food is worth it! Get the Chef's platter - you won't be disappointed. For $25.99 for 2 people, you get a variety of meat & vegetable stews served with injera, a type of flatbread with a naturally spongy texture. It's better than it sounds:)

I've been several times and brought multiple people who had never had Ethiopian food before, and all enjoyed the meal. I've also had Ethiopian food elsewhere in Vancouver but keep coming back to Harambe.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“solid value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I always get the vegetarian combo for one for 11.99. I eat meat, but the selection of cabbage, lentils, beans, corn, kale (sometimes spinach), and salad is so satisfying and filling that I don't miss the meat at all. I can never finish because the portion is so generous. I usually go in the late afternoon when there is only one or two other tables in the restaurant. The waitresses always attend to me promptly.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cape Breton Island, Canada
“Interesting experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Having never had Ethiopian food before, this was a new experience. A friend and I went for dinner and ordered the Chef's Choice Combination for 1 to share, for $13.99 + tax. It was a perfect amount of food for the two of us, there's no way I would have finished it on my own, and it allowed us to sample a good variety of the dishes on the menu. The plate included yebeg wot, doro wot, alitcha wot, harambe assorted veggies, and harambe salad, along with a plate of crepe-like bread rolls to grab the sauces/meats. The wot and veggies came on a platter, a spoonful of each arranged in a circle with one in the middle. I really couldn't tell you what any of those dishes are, but there appeared to be something involving each of chicken, beef, and lamb in various sauces, along with veggies in sauce. All were flavourful and interesting, but nothing sticks out as being amazing or gross. There was only very mild spiciness in some of the sauces, so I think this would be a good choice for someone looking to avoid spicy foods but still eat something flavoured with spices instead of salt. The bread had the approximate consistency and texture of a light foam rubber, but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be like that.

Given my unfamiliarity, I can't say whether the food is good by Ethiopian standards, but I was happy with the meal. The decor was very nice, appropriate for a first date - fairly small, dimmed lights, quiet enough for intimate conversation, rhythmic African music in the background, and a deep earthy red palate on the walls to give hints of fire and passion. The artwork on the walls is gorgeous, and everything is up for sale. The waitress was very friendly and attentive, but not too much so. The location is convenient, only a few blocks from the Commercial-Broadway Skytrain station, and free parking along any of the side streets.

I would return here eventually, but I might try a few other Ethiopian places first to establish a baseline. :)

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I came here with a 7 others and we ordered 2 Chef's Choice Combination platters. Each platter serves 4 people. Some in the group were grossed out by the idea of eating with one's hands. They provide you some bread and you use it to scoop the food on the combination platter. We were definitely stuffed at the end of the meal mostly because we had consumed a lot of the bread. The bread was a bit too sour for my liking.

Service was not very good. We did not see the server that often and it took a while for us to get our bill. I would estimate about 10 minutes. Others in the group lowered the tip as a result of the spotty service.

One interesting thing is that the restaurant has African art displayed on the walls and those pieces are for sale. Comes at a minimum $1500 price tag.

We paid about $15 per person including tax and tip.

• Visited January 2012