“Great location, ambiance” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 63 Vancouver B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed on our last night before heading home to Australia. I chose it for the location and that was spot on. You can't go wrong for access to transport and downtown amenities.

We had a second floor room at the back, comfortable and quiet. Sharing the bathrooms wasn't an issue.

The kitchen is big but not set up for everyone to be there at once (only four chairs at the kitchen table), and there were six of us in there trying to make breakfast.

My only disappointment is that there was no other common space except the outside balcony.

Ken/Janine sent us instructions about where to get off the city bus from Horseshoe Bay, and the walk with our backpacks was a doddle, except for a small linguistic misunderstanding. 'Across the park' means 'across the street from the park'. Oh well, a little exercise is not a bad thing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I chose Urban Hideaway as the place to stay when my mum came to visit me in Vancouver - i wanted somewhere for her to be able to hang out and relax, but that wasn't too pricey and still in the heart of downtown and close to everything....check, check and check. The historic house is a rare find, virtually hidden away and yet still one of the most conveniently located accommodations in the city, being less than 5 minutes from Waterfront station where all the transit lines, the seabus and many buses start. It is also a walk from Gastown, Chinatown and Yaletown and an eaasy bus ride to Stanley Park or Granville Island. The rooms are homey and comfortable, individually decorated with everything you need. We stayed in the loft room, which is the only ensuite room, although the shared bathroooms are but a few feet from the guest rooms and spacious and spotless. Most rooms also have no cable, but there is an epic collection of DVD's to watch for an evening in. Although hanging out and chetting to fellow guests is the general idea, as the well stocked communal kitchen is open for anyone to use most of the day and there is space to store your own food. Breakfast is included, which you make yourself and which includes, cereal, home made yoghurt, bacon and eggs, toast with a variety of toppings and of course tea and coffee. The hideaway is the home of Ken and Janine, who are adorable and happy to help with anything, they are around much of the day, as are their two cats. All in all a well-priced, comfortable and convenient place to stay and i would reccomend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed at the Urban Hideaway Guesthouse for 2 separate nights in April. The first night we stayed there was just before we left the city to tour around BC. The second was when we arrived back from our tour and just before we flew back to the UK.

The Guesthouse is run by the owners, Ken and Janine, who were very welcoming from the moment we arrived. Ken greeted us upon arrival gave us the guided tour. He took great pleasure in explaining how the house works, where to find breakfast, where to store food, showed us the famous DVD collection etc...I think it's fair to say within minutes of being there we felt very welcome.
We found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and simple. Each one has a DVD player and a TV so you can chill out if need be and watch a film or one of the many boxed sets.

So, given that we went back after our tour of BC, our first experience of the Guesthouse was good enough to make us want to return. Good location, nice people and very flexible when it comes to using the facilities of the house.

I would go back.....

Room Tip: If it's not too hot, close the windows, the pigeons are quite loud in the morning ;)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Monterey, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Friendliest Proprietor. Warmly Snuggled in our Queen sized bed with the view window watching the snow fall. Quiet and just short walk to skytrain, theatres and shopping. Impeccably clean. Small kitchen was perfect for preparing our meals. Lovely outdoor patio. Charming older building with unique stairs and decor.

Room Tip: View room was perfect for a couple
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I was here for only one night, but will definitely be back! It was like a warm fuzzy sweater on a cold winter's night. Very clean old house with lots of charm. Creaky floors, which made for some late night noise that could wake up the lighter sleepers (like me). I stayed on the second floor, in the front room with a window facing the street. Bed was very comfortable, small tv and sink in the room. Bathrooms just down the halls, never had to wait. The communal kitchen is great, if I had more time I would have made a gourmet meal there. It was rainy, so didn't get a chance to enjoy the rooftop patio, which still had many flowers blooming. The location is superb, just a quick walk from Gastown and tons of restaurants and shops. I parked next door, about $15 for 24 hours.

Can't wait to check it out again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at here and we will next time we are in Vancouver too!

It's an older building but everything is clean and functional. We have stayed in both the Loft and the View Room and if you can afford it/have the numbers the loft is great.

The owners Ken and Janine and very friendly and full of suggestions of things to do in Vancouver (but be warned - they might fail to mention the clothing optional nature of some beaches!). They also have a HUGE DVD collection for times you feel like just relaxing a bit.

The kitchen is clean and I've always enjoyed talking to other guests while preparing meals. I actually prefer the "make your own" inclusive breakfast but be aware it's not an actual B&B.

The cats make it feel like home, they are very calm and friendly.

Can't wait to visit again :)

• Stayed August 2011
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at the Urban Hideaway Guesthouse for one week in July. Let me start by saying the service is impeccable and the price was a great value. The whole time I was there the entire guesthouse was full. I believe there are only 7 rooms, so full really doesn't imply that many people. Only on the last day I did have to wait to use the shower, usually the bathrooms were always available if I needed them. I was on the first floor where there were 2 bedrooms, a toilet room, the laundry room, a video library, the kitchen, and the owners' bedroom. On the second floor were the two full bathrooms and all except one of the remaining bedrooms. There was a large loft bedroom on the third floor with it's own bathroom lots of plants and a skylight. Janine was there for the entirety of my stay and was incredibly helpful in providing advice for places to see, shop, and go to eat. She also had extensive knowledge of the public transportation system.

I really enjoyed making my own breakfast every morning. There were eggs, cheese, veggies, bread, cereal, yogurt, and bacon available and a plethora of cooking supplies, dishes, and cutlery. I would much rather make my own breakfast b/c I will make things the way I prefer and to serving sizes that I prefer. I was able to keep my personal food in the shared refrigerator and prepare other meals with my own supplies if I wanted to (between the hours of 8am and 10pm). I also really enjoyed the constant wireless internet connection. They provided clean towels and linens as well.

There are two cats that live at this property who are super sweet and slept most of the time. The property is centrally located and close to just about everything. I was in Vancouver for a conference at the Vancouver Convention Centre which was a short walk away. There is a lovely patio garden that was in full bloom when I arrived.

The house itself is quite old. It is a historic home built in approximately 1880 and mostly restored. It has a lot of character, but having lived in Iowa for 5 years, I know that a lot more could be done to restore it to it's former glory. The house is certainly charming and definitely impeccably clean (they hired a young women, Kristin, who cleaned the home almost non-stop and was very friendly).

I believe that because of the constant humidity and almost constant rain in Vancouver, there was always a weird moldy smell in my room. I had the front "garden room" that had great big bay windows that looked up to the garden (it is directly below the "view room" that looks down on the garden. There were large curtains to provide privacy as people in the garden could see directly into my room. I was curious and went sniffing around the other rooms when they were empty and learned that the weird smell was unique to my room :(

Since I was in the frontmost room, right by the front door, I could clearly hear the door open and close as each house guest arrived or departed and could clearly hear when people would walk up or down the creaky stairs. I was happy, however, that my room seemed to be one of the few with a desk/vanity so that I could have a place to get my work done while there. Even so, the public library was only 3 blocks away and had free access to wireless. Also my room had a small library in it that constantly tempted me to stray from the work I had to do. A nice touch was the personal sink in my room, I believe all rooms have these. There was a TV in my room but I never touched it. I have to add that the bed in the garden room was AMAZING. Possibly one of the best mattresses I have ever slept on and I travel a lot for work.

All in all, I would say that this is a comfortable and unpretentious place to stay at a reasonable price. Having access to a kitchen and free wireless were the highlights for me, also the welcoming demeanor of the staff. Some rooms are better than others and if I stayed again I would not stay in the garden room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Urban Hideaway Guesthouse? Share your experiences!