“Home sweet home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 62 Vancouver B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Home sweet home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I was here for only one night, but will definitely be back! It was like a warm fuzzy sweater on a cold winter's night. Very clean old house with lots of charm. Creaky floors, which made for some late night noise that could wake up the lighter sleepers (like me). I stayed on the second floor, in the front room with a window facing the street. Bed was very comfortable, small tv and sink in the room. Bathrooms just down the halls, never had to wait. The communal kitchen is great, if I had more time I would have made a gourmet meal there. It was rainy, so didn't get a chance to enjoy the rooftop patio, which still had many flowers blooming. The location is superb, just a quick walk from Gastown and tons of restaurants and shops. I parked next door, about $15 for 24 hours.

Can't wait to check it out again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed at here and we will next time we are in Vancouver too!

It's an older building but everything is clean and functional. We have stayed in both the Loft and the View Room and if you can afford it/have the numbers the loft is great.

The owners Ken and Janine and very friendly and full of suggestions of things to do in Vancouver (but be warned - they might fail to mention the clothing optional nature of some beaches!). They also have a HUGE DVD collection for times you feel like just relaxing a bit.

The kitchen is clean and I've always enjoyed talking to other guests while preparing meals. I actually prefer the "make your own" inclusive breakfast but be aware it's not an actual B&B.

The cats make it feel like home, they are very calm and friendly.

Can't wait to visit again :)

• Stayed August 2011
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed at the Urban Hideaway Guesthouse for one week in July. Let me start by saying the service is impeccable and the price was a great value. The whole time I was there the entire guesthouse was full. I believe there are only 7 rooms, so full really doesn't imply that many people. Only on the last day I did have to wait to use the shower, usually the bathrooms were always available if I needed them. I was on the first floor where there were 2 bedrooms, a toilet room, the laundry room, a video library, the kitchen, and the owners' bedroom. On the second floor were the two full bathrooms and all except one of the remaining bedrooms. There was a large loft bedroom on the third floor with it's own bathroom lots of plants and a skylight. Janine was there for the entirety of my stay and was incredibly helpful in providing advice for places to see, shop, and go to eat. She also had extensive knowledge of the public transportation system.

I really enjoyed making my own breakfast every morning. There were eggs, cheese, veggies, bread, cereal, yogurt, and bacon available and a plethora of cooking supplies, dishes, and cutlery. I would much rather make my own breakfast b/c I will make things the way I prefer and to serving sizes that I prefer. I was able to keep my personal food in the shared refrigerator and prepare other meals with my own supplies if I wanted to (between the hours of 8am and 10pm). I also really enjoyed the constant wireless internet connection. They provided clean towels and linens as well.

There are two cats that live at this property who are super sweet and slept most of the time. The property is centrally located and close to just about everything. I was in Vancouver for a conference at the Vancouver Convention Centre which was a short walk away. There is a lovely patio garden that was in full bloom when I arrived.

The house itself is quite old. It is a historic home built in approximately 1880 and mostly restored. It has a lot of character, but having lived in Iowa for 5 years, I know that a lot more could be done to restore it to it's former glory. The house is certainly charming and definitely impeccably clean (they hired a young women, Kristin, who cleaned the home almost non-stop and was very friendly).

I believe that because of the constant humidity and almost constant rain in Vancouver, there was always a weird moldy smell in my room. I had the front "garden room" that had great big bay windows that looked up to the garden (it is directly below the "view room" that looks down on the garden. There were large curtains to provide privacy as people in the garden could see directly into my room. I was curious and went sniffing around the other rooms when they were empty and learned that the weird smell was unique to my room :(

Since I was in the frontmost room, right by the front door, I could clearly hear the door open and close as each house guest arrived or departed and could clearly hear when people would walk up or down the creaky stairs. I was happy, however, that my room seemed to be one of the few with a desk/vanity so that I could have a place to get my work done while there. Even so, the public library was only 3 blocks away and had free access to wireless. Also my room had a small library in it that constantly tempted me to stray from the work I had to do. A nice touch was the personal sink in my room, I believe all rooms have these. There was a TV in my room but I never touched it. I have to add that the bed in the garden room was AMAZING. Possibly one of the best mattresses I have ever slept on and I travel a lot for work.

All in all, I would say that this is a comfortable and unpretentious place to stay at a reasonable price. Having access to a kitchen and free wireless were the highlights for me, also the welcoming demeanor of the staff. Some rooms are better than others and if I stayed again I would not stay in the garden room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I wrote a review on hostelbookers, and I see this hostel has a 94% rating on that website. I've been inspired to write one on Trip Advisor too, because I think some of the reviews on this site are a bit unfairly damning.
This wasn't the best place we stayed on our 5 week trip across 7 countries (that was the indescribably cool Carbisdale Castle youth hostel in Scotland but you won't care about that right now), but Urban Hideaway was near the top of the list.

Yes, it's more of a homestay/hostel, and yes, the free breakfast is perhaps a little budget (they'd possibly do better canning it altogether? - fending for yourself at brekkie gets you out and about in the city, and hey, it's the cheapest meal of the day. Have brekkie out, and do takeaway dinners. Save cash!)

All of this said, the place was just awesome. The location top notch. The staff were great, really friendly and welcoming.
It's expensive for what it is, but that's not the fault of the owners, it's just Vancouver for you. A good city, but ridiculously over-priced.
We left with really good memories and will go back if we can get the loft suite again.

For the record, our other minor negative issues were:
- They told us no credit card facilities when we arrived and this was acutally quite an inconvenience. However, this was reported as outside of their control;
- The immediate area is a bit dark at night with a couple of interesting characters nearby. We felt safe enough, just a little more alert than usual. Just 100 yards west and you are slap bang in the middle of downtown.

To end on a positive note, just to re-confirm what we loved:
- The very cool loft suite. It's worth the extra money.
- The DVD library.
- The central location at a price that believe it or not, is very reasonable for Vancouver.
- The cool staff.

Hope this review has helped with your decision.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I stayed here at the start of a month long roadtrip. The location is great – just near Gaslamp district – good bars, places to eat and shopping close by. The B&B itself was like staying in someone’s well live-in house but I really liked that. The only downsides were that we felt slightly awkward making our breakfast with other people trying to use the kitchen, but we soon go over that, and the views weren’t great – but I didn’t really care because i was in Vancouver!! If you want a cheap (for Vancouver), clean, comfortable place to stay with great hosts – then this is the place!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Invermere
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We arrived mid morning and Ken greeted us at the door, booked us in, showed us to our room and gave us the tour. Who would have thought that through the little yellow door lay such an amazing unique, quaint abode. The house is old, but has incredible character. We were treated like family and felt totally at home with Ken and Janine and the other guests that were there.
Being an old house heated with steam heat it has a tendency to get a little chilly but take some slippers and a sweater and your good to go. The cooing of the city pigeons I found quite relaxing....the seagulls where just noisy!
Both Ken and Janine where very helpful in giving directions for city travelling and things to do about the area.
Would and will totally recommend this place to anyone travelling to Vancouver and needing a reasonably priced, clean place to stay.
Kudos to Ken and Janine for creating a wonderful place for us travellers, you go above and beyond for your guests!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

The first major problem is that their website is years out of date. We booked what we thought was the master suite (The View Room on the website) and were given the downstairs room by the entryway. It was hot, loud, and dark - it used to be the TV room and was not what we thought we had booked. As another review stated, you could only open the window a small amount. There was a toilet on our floor but the showers were upstairs.

Breakfast - the first morning we went to the kitchen and found 2 cockroaches within 1 minute - one in the bread box and one in the coffee machine. It is an old house which can come with some bugs, but this was just too much for us.

They have cats - also not on the website and the whole place smells slightly of cats. And, there is no air-conditioning which in the summer is quite a problem.

The owners were nice and helpful - they were also around quite a lot. The bathrooms were also always very clean.

Location is ok - very convenient but borders on the not so nice part of Vancouver. We felt safe but were always together. Would not recommend this place for women travelling alone.

All in all, we felt cheated - not worth the money and not at all what they advertise. Next time we would put up with the extra travel time and stay in the Kitsilano/Jericho Beach area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Urban Hideaway Guesthouse? Share your experiences!