“Excellent, especially for take-out” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Fast Food, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Takeout
Vancouver Canada
“Excellent, especially for take-out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I live in the neighbourhood and go there often. Food is great, plentiful, and the price is better than almost anywhere. There is often a line-up of Japanese patrons outside, which should tell you a lot. The interior is small and crowded, which is PART of the reason for a line-up. I prefer to buy it there but bring it home. One of the cashiers is definitely not sunny, but I have never seen her angry as one reviewer reported.

DO REMEMBER that it is cash only.

The review from Lman is posted to the wrong restaurant. Lman is referring to one with a similar name downtown.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars

Vancouver, Canada
“Average sushi, big portions CASH ONLY”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The quality of sushi here is average to good at best. The service has much to be desired, but I generally just get something to go as there is no real sit-down space most of the time. Prices are decent and it's very close to oakridge skytrain.. Just beware, there is no Debit machine so bring cash!

Visited November 2012
Bellingham
“A VERY ANGRY WOMAN CASHIER”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This restaurant serves Sushi with a large roll of anger behind its cash register. I wanted to replace the Tuna Sashimi with Salmon, which is a small request. I have no problem paying extra for it; just give me what I want. The woman cashier frowned and angrily went into a well prepared speech (heavy Chines accent): "you can not substitution Combo plates, You can order items you like separately (as she pointed to her 154 year old menu taped to the counter)," I ordered the foods and I was in trouble now....(heavy Chinese accent again) "Why you don't read sign here? We no accept credit debit or bank card, Cash only. OK?" I paid with cash. Then I asked for a straw for my can of Coke. She bent down, behind her cash register where she hides the drinking straws. She handed it to me with a dirty look. By this time I was laughing inside of me. It must be a severe case of PMS, I thought to myself. So do not come here expecting any type of service. Just medium quality food in larger portion is what you get.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank GrayHairedMan
Ithaca, New York
“Little big fish in a big pond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Samarai Sushi House is a little storefront along the restaurant rows of Davie St. It was recommended by a local and lived up to its reputation for massive fish portions and modest prices. Five visits in May 2012 were uniformly terrific. Best Chirashi I've had this side of the Toyko fish market - a sampling of many slabs of raw fish over a sea of mildly tasty rice. This place lives up to Vancouver's reputation for great, inexpensive sushi.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
Vancouver, Canada
“Huge portions! and cheaper?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

The quality is average, but the rolls are enormous, and so is the sashimi, feels like Super Mario Bros. 3 World 4 sized portions. And the price is a bit below average too!