“excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Miraj Hammam Spa

Miraj Hammam Spa
1495 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 4E9, Canada (Fairview)
604 733 5151
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 197 Activities in Vancouver
Vancouver, Canada
“excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Went there on a Thursday afternoon (for men). I was all alone in the steam room which is really nicely done and you get a pot of cold tea to enjoy in there.
After that I got the hammam washing, which is quite a rough, nice and relaxing scrubbing. You get showered afterwards. Then I had a 1 hour massage, deep pressure...just wow! And I got a facial too.
Finally some tea and a cookie in the beatifully designed lounge.
The whole thing is not cheap.....but sooooo relaxing!

Visited July 2012

Vancouver, Canada
“Not really what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

When I arrived at the Miraj Hammam Spa there was a pleasant aroma just outside the door which only got better as I entered. I was greeted quietly and calmly and since I was early I waited for a few moments at the front until my time in the sauna.
I was very excited to try the hammam experience but I found that it really wasn't that much different than a regular spa and therefore didn't ring any special bells for me.
I was taken to the change room, had a quick shower and than entered the steam room for 15 minutes where I was completely all alone. I had thought it would be a bit of a communal experience and perhaps the fact that I went at 2 PM on a weekday meant it was different from normal but I'm not sure. After my steam I had the gommage which was very nice but not especially different from a sea salt scrub etc. although the spray down was different - even into my armpits etc. After the gommage I was given a robe (which was not big enough and when I asked to have a bigger size I was actually given a smaller one - this is never comfortable) and than I was taken to have my massage which was billed as an oriental massage so not knowing what to expect I only booked 15 minutes (in case I didn't like it). It was no different than a regular massage and therefore I was quite disappointed as I would have booked more time. After my massage I was given tea and a cookie and taken to the relaxation room. While it looked lovely and had wonderful pillows I didn't find it very comfortable to sit in because of my short robe - they are quite high platforms etc. not chairs and as well they have a view to the outside so anyone going by could look in and when you have a too small robe that's is not good. I finally went and grabbed a wrap to wear under my robe but I never did get comfortable. Having never been to a real hammam I can't say whether this is authentic or not but I didn't feel like it was and it certainly was no different than a regular spa at all.

Visited July 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“If you've been to a real hammam, give this one a pass”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Paid more than $200 for a 15 minute steam, half-hearted 15-minute scrub, 30-minute painful massage, and 15 minute application of cream to my face. I've been to real hammams in Istanbul, where you get so much more at a fraction - by fraction I mean 1/10th - of the price. So to come from that to this is terribly disappointing and feels like a rip-off. It's not long enough to be relaxing. I hated that the massage and facial took place in a room where the light was shining brightly and not dimmed as it would be normally, and the sheet was barely long enough to cover my feet. I thought it was ridiculous that all you get at the end in the lounge they take you to afterwards is a biscuit the size of your finger and a half-full cup of tea. Delicious, but for $200 I think I should be able to have more tea. And more treatment time. Maybe if money is no object for you, you might find this place to be interesting. But if that is the case I suggest you put the $200 towards a flight to Turkey instead.

Visited March 2012
Surrey, Canada
“A Vancouver Oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Sensuous experience. The staff are gracious, warm and inviting.

British Columbia
18 attraction reviews
“unique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The sauna start was awesome. A little unprepared for the scrub down and 'hosing off' that happend afterward, but it ended with a wonderful massage and comfy exotic lounge room to enjoy tea in afterwards.