“Best steak ever at the Sea Shanty” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 44 Restaurants in Tofino
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Owners Lewis & Cathy George would like to welcome our new Chef Billy Feltmate to the Shanty Team. Chef Billy invites you to come and experience our brand new menu. We are very excited to offer a wide variety of seafood options. The best view in Tofino combined with great food and service promises you an unforgettable experience. Located on 300 Main Street Downtown Tofino on the waterfront.
Toronto
“Best steak ever at the Sea Shanty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I am not a seafood person but the friend I was with wanted seafood. Both of us were pleased. I had the most excellent steak with fresh vegetables and a harbour view. Lovely evening.

Nanaimo, Canada
“Very Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is my second visit, lunch this time, dinner last time. Again it was a fall back mainly due to location and view because my favourite restaurant wasn't open for lunch. Three of us ate and the consensus seemed to be, average, nothing really wrong but nothing very good. Service was a bit slow although the dining room was pretty empty. The server was not very knowledgeable about the food and I felt like he was making it up a bit. It is a nice central location with a great of the harbour and all the comings and goings of the boats and planes

brooklyn
“Good food...maybe not perfect for young kids...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We ended up here because we'd finished hiking for the day...drove into Tofino, parked the car, the kids were starving and this was the first place we saw.

What I liked...the food was delicious! I got crab...very good and my husband was very happy with his steak (all veggies good too). My little guy devoured his burger. Plus the wait staff was very good with our kids (even when they spilled water all over the table). I had an amazing view.

The two things that were not so great...they don't allow kids to sit outside (even though their railings are fully inclosed). And just on our part...probably better to go there with kids over the age of 3.

Visited July 2013
Margot B, Owner at Sea Shanty Restaurant, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your experience with us!

Due to the patio being designated as lounge seating, this unfortunately means that minors are not permitted on the licensed patio. However, the dining room still has an amazing view as you stated in your review and we're glad that your family enjoyed the food.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope that the food, view and service will be enough to bring you and your family back for another visit on your next trip to Tofino.

Regards,
Margot/Chef Owner
Parksville, Canada
“Just OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were a group of nine for a family dinner. The service was quite good, the setting was nice. I had pasta with seafood for $18. Lots of fresh seafood (prawns, white fish and smoked salmon) but the pasta noodles and the sauce were like glue. Not sure if the order sat for a while before they brought it out. One fellow at our table sent his steak ($28) back 2 times. He ordered medium but got well done the 1st time, and very very rare the second. By the time they cooked it the 3rd time everyone else at the table had finished their meals. We were a large group so they add a 15% tip, the waitress encouraged my elderly aunt (who was a bit confused with the credit card machine ) to add an additional tip when she paid. No extras here. They charge $3 for bread. We will not go back, there are too many other choices in Tofino.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Margot B, Owner at Sea Shanty Restaurant, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'd like to start by thanking you for providing us with some constructive feedback regarding your experience with us at the Sea Shanty.

Please accept my apology for the unfortunate circumstances regarding the food items that were ordered. I, as the Executive Chef/Owner was concerned when I read your comments and have spoken to the Kitchen Manager and Service Staff Supervisor on duty at the time of your visit with us. We spoke candidly regarding the specific incidents that you mentioned in your review and please be assured, I take these types of incidents seriously.

The supervisor was taking payment and has indicated there may have been a misunderstanding regarding the tip function on the debit machine. When there will be a service charge added to a bill, service staff are required to provide this information to the guests at the table before the bill is presented. Once presented with the bill, we remind service staff to voice to the guest that a service charge has been added to the bill and when prompted for the tip, they may prompt past the % or $ amount. The supervisor did apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused, however we are not able to remove the prompt for a gratuity on a bill that has a service charge already included.

There are certainly many options in the Tofino area for a dining experience and we hope that you would provide us with another opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Again, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Regards,

Margot
Chef/Owner
Escondido, California
“Great view, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great view and good food. Fish and chips we very good. Service was friendly but a bit disorganized. I think their computers were down that day, so maybe another chance again

Visited July 2013
Margot B, Owner at Sea Shanty Restaurant, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here at the Sea Shanty. Due to unforeseen circumstances, we were operating with our a POS system during your visit. Thankfully, much like yourself, most people are able to overlook minor glitches and enjoy the food & view our restaurant has to offer.
I am extremely pleased that you did enjoy the food & friendly service and thank you immensely for your patience during your visit.
We hope to see you again on your next trip to Tofino.

Warmest Regards,