“Cheap and Cheerful in the Low Season” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duffin Cove Resort

You added Duffin Cove Resort to your Saves list
Duffin Cove Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   215 Campbell Street, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Tofino
Vancouver, Canada
“Cheap and Cheerful in the Low Season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at Duffin Cove Resort for four nights in mid-February. I was in room 104, a small "studio" room with a queen-size bed and a nice ocean view. The accomodations were modest but had everything I needed (except maybe a microwave.) I especially enjoyed the deep tub - I took at least three relaxing, long baths during my 4-night stay!

The view was great & I loved hanging out on the balcony with some beer and a good book (and there was even some sun during my stay!) DCR is VERY conveniently located just one block from the Co-Op grocery store, and a short walk to Tuff Beans, which became my favourite local coffeeshop/breakfast spot. The owners were extremely friendly & helpfully told me how to get around. I'd definitely stay at Duffin Cove again.

As a lot of other reviewers have noted, the walls between the studio rooms are pretty thin (I'm not sure how insulated the other suites/cabins are), but I didn't have rowdy neighbours during my stay, and besides, I was paying less than $70 a night on a special winter rates, so I probably wouldn't have really minded.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Budget friendly. The new owners are so lovely, we chatted with Colin for a good hour. The place is absolute value for money! It's an older place, but the amenities were fine. Considering how much you pay for accommodation in Tofino, this was a real bargain - on the Main Street, everything in walking distance, while at the same time being fairly secluded with the romance of the ocean. We took the corner studio with its own provate balcony overlooking the ocean - absolutely breathtaking views :)

• Stayed February 2013
Kirkland Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Went to Tofino end of November for a quick get-a-way for my birthday and stayed at this resort. It's not really a resort more a cute chalet hotel? Has about 20+ suites and a few detached chalets. Ours was overlooking the water with a private balcony. Parking was free, no phones in the suites, simple bed, sofa, tv and private washroom. The place was clean, quiet, in a good location at the end of town, the new owners were very hospitable and friendly.
There's a huge staircase you can take down to a private, rocky inlet to check out or try and beach comb. Took my dog unexpectedly and they allowed him to stay with us for $20 extra. Only thing I wasn't a fan of was in the washrooms they supply you with one huge bottle of shampoo and conditioner that I guess every guest gets to use. I am a germaphobe so, this kinda grossed me out. Otherwise if your not a Diva and like a cute place with character, this is it for the price.

Room Tip: Get a chalet for a little more or ask for the 2nd floor of the suites so no one is above your head...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have stayed at this motel before, and always have enjoyed our stay. It is definitely worth the $89.00 (plus tax) per night we payed for the" special", considering that all accomodation in Tofino is relatively expensive.
We stayed in a suite with kitchenette, which was well equipped and functional. The bathroom was clean, and the shower worked well. There was a deep tub as well. The suite was warm and the teperature was easy to control. The bed was very comfortable, the lighting was good, the radio worked, and the flat screen T.V. with cable was good too. We enjoy the feel of being in the rainforest, with a small pebble cove at the base of some (steep) wooden stairs, but at the same time being only a block or two from the main part of the village with stores, restaurants, boat docks, etc.
The staff were all friendly, as was the dog in the office.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

the location is great but are major renovations needed for the suites and cabins.
the price reflects the location not the amenities.
But... who is complaining when you visit one of the most beautiful places on the westcoast!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Yes - we booked a last minute trip over a long weekend - and we did pay a high high price for it. Given the costs, I was expecting the property to be a bit more 'cared for'. The view is tremendous and the beds were good. However, when making the booking (as we were self catering) we expected a BBQ. When we got there we were told the BBQ was stolen - we would have to share from the communal kitchen. This may not have been a big deal - however there were about 40 stairs between the cabin and the kitchen. This resort could be great - it needs better cleaning and maintenance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Duffin Cove Resort was the pick of the proverbial dart at the map. We had no idea what it was like, or what any place in Tofino was like for that matter, and I can tell you, for what we were looking for, it couldn't have been any better.

It is a beautiful, peaceful place to enjoy the beauty of Vancouver Island. Its close (walkable) to the center of town with food, groceries, harbour, etc.

Our favorite part were sitting in the homemade by the owner Adirondack chairs and watching the sun rise and set and the tide ebb and flow.

When the tide was out the kids would run down and scramble among the rocks and tide pools.

The owners were always walking around, saying hello, and even giving advice on where to get the best crabs to boil on the pot or toss on the grill they provided.

Now, with this glowing review you must wonder why I did not give it 5 of 5 stars, well, simply because I want people reading this review to know what it is. It is not the Ritz, it is not a luxury accommodation where you have your bed turned down with a pillow or gourmet food. What it is was perfect for us. A clean, beautiful location that afforded us seclusion, but access; quiet, but activity; and peace without boredom.

Room Tip: Get the rooms up top by the chairs or, even better one of the two cabins down my the water! (see the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Duffin Cove Resort? Share your experiences!