“Such a let down” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clayoqout Retreat B&B

Clayoqout Retreat B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tofino
Clayoqout Retreat B&B
You added Clayoqout Retreat B&B to your Saves list
120 Arnet Road | The Clayoquot Sound, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 46 Tofino B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Such a let down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

My husband and I were really looking forward to our stay at Clayoquot Retreat as the photos on their web page and the write up made it sound like paradise. How I wish we had read the previous comments, all of which we agree with whole-heartedly.
The entrance is like coming into a rubbish tip, the rooms are indeed in a basement area with sliding patio type doors, one of which was broken in our room and could not be opened. There is no other means of ventilation so you only have the option of leaving the door open for fresh air at night, with the possibility of intruders both human and animal, or kept closed and suffocate. The noise from the fridge turning on and off kept us awake, so we turned it off completely. The breakfast was served up in a dark dingy kitchen area where we had to serve ourselves and we were instructed to clear away our own dishes and not to leave them in the room. The breakfasts were strange- we do not appreciate bread and butter pudding first thing in the morning. Electrical appliances in the room were all wired into extension leads draped around the wall certainly contravening health and safety regulations. The furniture looks as if it had been purchased at a garage sale. Fortunately we did not risk the hot tub.
The owner greeted us with warnings about the tsunami and moaning about her family and a whole load of other personal stuff of which we really could not make sense , and there was no attempt at making us feel welcome.
We left a day early but were charged the full amount- but it was worth it just to leave and go somewhere else which was clean and welcoming.
The only positive thing we can say is that we enjoyed the view.

• Stayed June 2005

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sooke, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2005

Having stayed at other B&Bs in Tofino, I was looking forward to trying out a different one and again having a wonderful experience. Boy, was I disappointed this time. Coming down the steep driveway to this house I asked myself, "are we at the right place?" It looked like a dumping ground for wood scraps and rusty machinery. Once I finally found the entrance (marked with a teeny, tiny piece of paper), the hostess seemed genuinely put out and did not once ask any questions one might expect being a tourist (ie; how was your drive, did you find it okay...). She led us to the room and once inside I was instantly hit with the pungent odour of cat pee. There was what appeared to be a large stain in the carpet but I wasn't going to bend down and examine it any closer to determine its origin. I could go on but I hope you get the picture. When I left, I truly felt the hostess had no concerns about our stay and whether we enjoyed ourselves. I left angry and extremely disappointed. How many times can I repeat, stay away from the Clayoquot Sound Retreat.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Clayoquot Retreat last summer for 3 nights. (It was supposed to be 4 but we decided to cut it short). I wasn't aware of tripadvisor.com until recently but have always wanted somewhere to vent. This place is a dump!! We found their website and decided to book with them as everything looked really nice. When we got there we were escorted to an area in the "basement". The place had a distinct odour of mould and must. The mattresses were ancient and concave in the middle. The carpet was so old I wouldn't take my shoes off the entire time. The power went out when we would plug in the hair dryer. The milk in the fridge for the coffee was sour. There is a hot tub in the back yard. We used it but immediatley after we got out, my husband and I both had this AWFUL smell on our skin. It wasn't cholrine. I don't know what it was but we had to get in the shower right away and scrub it off. The breakfast was lame. Some bannana bread and bacon. The Clayoquot Retreat charged us $100.00/night if you can beleive it! I was furious! Be sure to stay at the Mackenzie Beach lodge. The rates may have changed but we found out we could have stayed at that beautiful new hotel for $5/night more. DO NOT TRUST THE REVIEWS ON THE CLAYOQUOT RETREAT WEBSITE!! Whatever you do, do not stay at the Clayquot Retreat in Tofino.

Been to Clayoqout Retreat B&B? Share your experiences!