“The Ritz of Hostels on Waterfront, Tofino, BC” 5 of 5 stars

81 West St. | P.O. Box 296, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Tofino
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kennebunk, Maine
“The Ritz of Hostels on Waterfront, Tofino, BC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This waterfront hostel in the village of Tofino on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada could qualify to be featured in Architectural Digest. It is that beautiful in construction. It is an official Hostel International facility but above the norm in quality. It is all that it proclaims in the description. Waterfront, excellent well-equipped kitchen with granite counters, wet sauna, laundry, popular common rooms, storage facilities, helpful staff, well thought out and everything clean. Stay at least 3 nights. You could well enjoy a week or longer here. My 4-bed women's dorm room had a waterfront view of Clayoquot Sound dotted with islands and was spacious, with comfortable beds all made up. Check with the hostel for discounts on excursions. We didn't and paid more. Tofino Water Taxi is located on the pier in front of the hostel. It is an easy walk to local beaches. The area is famous for surfing, hiking, seeing wildlife, old-growth trees, hot springs up the coast. Book ahead. It was full even in May.

Room Tip: Book ahead. Usually full. Doubt there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I absolutely loved my stay here. My first advice would be to book ahead with lots of advance notice. I didn't do this (despite having been warned to do so by other travelers) and called about 4 or 5 days before hand. This meant we had to stay in a dorm the first night and a private room the 2nd... but no big deal, we were just thankful they had SOME room. When we swapped rooms, housekeeping were still in the private room sorting it, but they were more than happy for us to put our bags in there and go out for the day.

The kitchen was good, well equipped which made cooking evening meals easy. Eating out in Tofino was incredibly expensive, so the kitchen, combined with the supermarket about a 5 minute walk away was a god send. The dining room has massive windows that overlook the water, and it's so pretty to sit eating dinner watching the sun set.

The location is great, as mentioned, there's a supermarket near by, plus it's within walking distance from the bus stop and the town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Whalers on the point in Tofino is a lovely hostel, in a great location with fantastic views across the water. It is clean, with good living space and the bedrooms are spacious. It is busy, so tends to be on the noisier side, but in a social way instead of annoying. Earplugs are a must for any hostel anyway. The staff when we were there, however were unhelpful to the point of rudeness, aloof and seemed to treat it as their space to hang out in, and anyone who was in the hostel was an inconvenience. It is a real shame, as I would imagine it can be fun working in a hostel, meeting like minded people, but they weren't even interested in smiling at you, never mind speaking to you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I travelled in many places (Greece, Italy, Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, Peru, Burkina Faso, Mali, etc) and this is by far the least friendly hostel that I ever went to. As mentioned by another reviewer, if for any reason you have a problem, the hostel staff won't care and won't respond. In short, this hostel is a backpacker mill.

Our car broke down on the way to Tofino (the clutch was gone) and we ended up being stranded in Port Alberni. We called the hostel immediately to let them know and to request a change of dates with our reservation (not a cancellation just a change of dates). And the staff answered I have no authority, I will charge you anyways. Once we arrived in Tofino one day later, we tried to find the manager who stayed absent the entire time. We got contradictory information (some people said talk to the manager, others said the manager can't do anything talk to the owner), we got yelled at. The place was chaotic and not responsive at all to our plight. To top it all, there were no extra blankets (even though it says that blankets can be provided upon request) and there was sand on our bed (which we let the staff know about) and it was extremely loud! After a whole day of trying to figure out what to do and who to talk to, we finally got a message from the owner via one of the staff. You can have 10$ off if you stay more. That's condescending... In any case, the hostel is not caring at all about its customers and if you have any kind of problem will not respond to you. So reserve at your own risks. It's sad because it ends up being bad business. We were ready to stay more time but chose not to because of the situation. There are other places in town that are great. We ended up staying at the botanical garden's ecolodge. There are other cheaper places. That's what I would advice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in September and was impressed with the location, organisation and cleanliness of the hostel and the service. The views of the ocean from the main floor (common area) and my 4 bed dorm were amazing. The shared kitchen was large with stone benchtops and everything had its place. I would stay here again and would recommend it without any hesitation. The grocery store, liquor store and pub were all less than 5 mins walk away too which is helpful when you're on holidays!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed in the "family suite", which had bunk sleeping for 5, a private 2 piece bath, and a beautiful view of the waterfront. (this room also includes free towels) The showers down the hall had some mould growning in the corners, but seemed otherwise clean. We had no problem with wait times for showers.

The beds were very comfortable and with the door between the common area and the hallway closed, it was very quiet, even on the night I went to bed early.

Everything is clean and the view from the common area (living room/dining room) was beautiful. There is free WiFi, but you have to go out to the common areas to get reception. The kitchen was clean with lots of storage space and all the supplies you will need to make your meals.

Parking is the biggest problem. If you aren't there early, you need (and are told to) double park, but when you do so, you are asked to hand over your keys so they can move your vehicle if the person in front of you needs out. Didn't like that set up, but had no problems because of it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

As a person who generally values their comfort and privacy, I was a bit nervous about staying in a hostel. I ended up having a fantastic experience at Whalers.

I'm a 31 year old female travelling solo who came to surf and kayak in Tofino. I stayed for 4 nights in a 4-bed dorm- 3 of those nights I had the same roommates. Although I sacrificed a good night's sleep (bunking with people who snore is often unavoidable- earplugs saved the day!), the value for what I paid was well worth it.

Whalers has a fantastic location within Tofino. The view from my room and the common area was something out of a painting. Although basic, the bunk was clean and comfortable, and there was a cupboard in my room which was large enough to store my suitcase. The bathrooms were always clean, and the modern kitchen was well stocked with cookware. Everyone seemed to treat the place respectfully and cleaned up after themselves.

The guests were a more mature crowd, which was a nice surprise. Everyone from solo females like myself, to families with younger children, to retired couples from all corners of the globe could be found. Although people sat around and had drinks at night, people were respectful of the 11pm quiet time.

Overall it was a clean, comfortable place where I never felt alone. Although I don't have a lot of experience in hostels, someone else commented that this is about as good as it gets for a hostel. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Whalers on the Point Guesthouse? Share your experiences!