“Rustic charm, relaxed comfort, gorgeous setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

You added Middle Beach Lodge to your Saves list
Middle Beach Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 MacKenzie Beach Road | PO Box 100, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Tofino
Victoria, Canada
“Rustic charm, relaxed comfort, gorgeous setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We spend a couple of days at Middle Beach Lodge every year and always enjoy our stay. Both lodge buildings are beautiful, cozy and set in gorgeous surroundings. Guest rooms and common areas are clean and comfortable. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts and evening cookie snacks are yummy - particularly the morning cinnamon rolls! However there are some minor drawbacks - very small guest rooms, sound transmission between guest rooms and an access road in rather rough condition. We stayed during the period that the "Headlands Lodge" was closed and the "Beach Lodge" was, as a result, very full. Common areas do not have enough space to accommodate guests during a full house. Periodic power outages (which may affect all of Tofino) are also a small inconvenience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this property and I can't say enough good things about it. Fabulous location, rustic charm done the right way, and friendly helpful staff. MBL reminds me a lot of the Jasper Park Lodge, but considerably more affordable (especially in the low season). Read the Guest Information Binder, there is some interesting information of where the some of the materials came from for the room construction.

Room Tip: The Beach House has the nicest (also most expensive) rooms. All rooms have great views and ocean sou...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I were very much looking forward to coming here for my Birthday in April. I emailed asking a few questions, and got a speedy reply. I then called to book a suite, and again spoke to a very nice person who answered a few more questions. In my search for a place to stay, I noticed that some resort/lodge's have a 2 night min. I asked her about this (it was not mentioned in the email) and she said in April it isn't busy so we don't enforce it. I happened to call at 9:30pm, and the booking has to be made before 9pm. No biggie, so I called the next day to reserve. The man I spoke to said there IS a 2 night min and there is nothing that can be done. I explained that it wasn't written in the email, nor did the person the previous night say we would have to do that. We have a baby and a dog with us, and all we can do is go up for one night. He said sorry, nothing I can do. I then said I guess I'll be booking elsewhere. He said ok, and hung up on me. What kind of customer service is that? I then wrote about my experience on the MBL facebook page hoping the manager would contact me, but my comment just got deleted. They must know that bad news spreads like wildfire.......how can one employee said the 2 night min will be waived and the other say no ? Where is the consistency?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Lball2014,

Thank you for time to review your recent experience with the guest services at Middle Beach Lodge. As I personally was the one who dealt with this scenario, I would like to offer Trip Advisors viewers our side of the story, as well as addressing your concerns in a fair manner.

As you stated, you had emailed our guest services for prices and availability for April. What you neglected to mention was that it was for a Saturday on a busy April weekend. Furthermore, you were wanting to book one of our larger cabins. Now, from a management standpoint, you will understand that if we were to allow you to book dead center of the weekend on Saturday it would result in a loss of revenue for us on the Friday and Sunday nights. This would inconvenience guests trying to book the whole weekend, and as we had limited units left, this is standard policy.
Again, this shouldn't be a surprise as you stated that most of the other resorts & hotels in Tofino, also had a two night minimum, as this is industry standard.

Furthermore, it was myself who spoke to you on the phone, and contrary to what you have stated I did not hang up. After politely explaining the reasoning behind why I could not honor a one-night stay, you stated "I will have to book somewhere else", in which I responded with "Okay". You proceeded to hang up the phone, and throughout the ordeal I was very professional and polite.

I do apologize that you were originally mislead, however, here at Middle Beach Lodge we are very accommodating and flexible when it comes to special guest requests. As other guests have stated in their reviews, our front desk staff are always willing to help out and make sure guests have the best experience possible. It is misfortunate that you did not get to experience this, however, I believe other viewers will understand that certain policies are in place for a reason.

Going forward, I am hereby offering to honor a complimentary one-night stay at Middle Beach Lodge in one of our cabins units, so long as it is Midweek or on a Friday night. I do sincerely hope you take advantage of this. Thank you!

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This has been our go to place for twenty years. We obviously love it. We have stayed in most of the rooms and have our favorites (Beach house is the best). What's missing is the attentive staff that used to be here. The room cleaning crew need to be taught how to clean a room. The front desk staff need to smile. The morning breakfast staff need to meet and greet better. We used to see the manager here all the time. Now we don't. That could be the problem. The rooms are a bit worn, but that's the whole lodge experience. If you want five star, go to the Wick. But Middle Beach needs to kick their staff into high gear. That would put this place back on the map. Prices are very good for up here, though. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: Go Beach house or headland for a couple. Triplex for a family.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Littleguyprod,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, BC! Let me start off by saying thank you for your continued loyalty towards Middle Beach Lodge for over twenty years!

Your remarks about the staff are quite concerning, as we hold quite dear the fact that Middle Beach Lodge's staff are some of the more friendlier, outgoing, and helpful staff at any of the resorts in Tofino. We train our staff to be welcoming, warm, friendly, and to always go the extra mile to accommodate any request.

As with any transient resort town, retaining staff for more than a year is almost impossible, therefore, we do incorporate the fact that we are always dealing with a fairly "green" staff into our training procedures and practises.

In the last year we have also experienced some new managers coming aboard onto our management team, and therefore, there are some new faces walking around our property. I can assure you that there is always a managerial presence at all times, and that you just need to ask for us!

I will personally mention your comments about the staff at our next management meeting, and hopefully this was just a rare occasion, and our staff continue to excel in all departments. Again, thank you for taking the time to share you recent experience with Middle Beach Lodge, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Kind Regards,

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Have stayed in MBL for a few days every year, for the past few years. Good hotel when quiet. Well designed and can be a bit rustic but adds to the charm of a cabin experience. Noisy neighbours can be a problem, especially as the walls are thin.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have returned to Middle Beach Lodge for the fourth time -- it is a truly special place in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Long Beach/Pacific Rim National Park is one of those unique locales that looks great at any time of the room and that is just as remarkable in a winter storm or a brilliant summer day. Middle Beach is a neat lodge -- offered expensive but attractive cabins that look out over the ocean and that have a great deal of privacy. The new hot tubs are a lot smaller than the old ones, but the setting is stunning. The breakfast is large and okay -- nothing stunning, but a good feed to start the day. Plan to spend some time in the great room, looking out on the ocean scenery, enjoying the roaring fire, and relaxing. This is not a place for high energy folks (although there is lots to do in the surrounding area). Instead, it is a perfect getaway for a relaxing and quiet time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sidney, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Spent a lovely relaxing weekend here in the main lodge. The staff were truly professional and cordial. The highest compliments to all, especially those on the front desk. The room was sufficiently furnished and the bed very comfortable. Amenities were adequate. The bathroom sink counter area should have a sealant put on the tile grout to avoid a potential mould development which was starting to develop. Great hiking trails to the beach and area. Coffee, tea and others always available. Good food and adequate breakfast choice was offered.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear CJ_R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, BC! We are thrilled that you had a relaxing and refreshing stay at the main lodge.

We pride ourselves in having friendly, welcoming, and professional staff members in all departments, and it is definitely nice to hear that this is noticed.

As per your comment about the bathroom sink counter, I have added this to the list of maintenance fixes that we will be conducting this January when we shut down our main lodge for our annual winter renovations. Thank you for the heads up!

Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this great review about your recent Middle Beach Lodge experience, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Middle Beach Lodge

Been to Middle Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!