“BAD EXPERIENCE” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

Save Saved
You added Middle Beach Lodge to your Saves list
Middle Beach Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 MacKenzie Beach Road | PO Box 100, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 16 hotels in Tofino
Victoria, Canada
“BAD EXPERIENCE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went to this hotel on October 14,15,2013. We had a TINY room facing the beach. We asked for a fire in the big fireplace, was told only on rainy days, told her there is one in the bigger lodge, she said she would do one that evening. When we got there it was 1 log only and she closed the curtains at 7pm, ( it was a full moon, could have looked at the beach) we sat down with our glass of wine to play cards, the receptionist with chin level dark hair ( no name tags, on Oct 15th) came to tell us we would have to pay $25.00 for corking fee if we stayed in the lobby, so we went back to our TINY room with our wine to finish our game on the bed ( only 1 chair),that ruined our evening. The receptionist on our checkout ( long dark hair Oct 16th) was super nice, nothing like the other one.
Room are too small, staff need training, corking fee is ridiculous !! Go to Cox Bay instead !!

Room Tip: Go to Cox Bay !
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Leblancchaz,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge, in beautiful Tofino, BC! We do sincerely apologize that one individual in particular "ruined" your evening, and we do want you to know that this scenario is extremely unacceptable.

We do take pride in having a very customer service oriented front desk staff who's sole job is to make sure our guests have the most comfortable and memorable experiences possible. We do apologize that you did not get to experience this, and I will personally be speaking to the individual in particular to make sure that this type of situation never happens again. Middle Beach Lodge is known for having a very welcoming, warm, comfortable atmosphere and I do want you to know that this was a very concerning rare instance.

Please feel free to contact myself or our general manager, Josh Hannigan, if you would like to further discuss any comments of concerns regarding your recent stay.

Our hope is that if you were to return to Middle Beach Lodge, we would show you that your previous experience does not truly represent our brand, and we would provide you with a most memorable experience.

588 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Swindon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was our first time at MBL although we have visited Tofino many times in the past. However this time with my daughter.
The position of MBL on a rocky point, amongst the trees overlooking Mackenzie beach to the left
& over the ocean directly in front was just fabulous. We had a two bed cabin which was very spacious, well appointed, clean, & comfortable. We also had a hot tub on the deck !!
If I have to be critical I would say that the cabin needed a little TLC just to make that leap to excellent. The available breakfast in the coffee bar area was excellent.
The only thing I could find fault with was the situation regarding dinner which is only available on certain nights. On looking at the dinner menu it did not seem to encourage me to try it & it seemed overpriced compared with what is available in other Tofino restaurants. However with that aside the rest was just great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My brother and I stayed four nights at this lodge. It was without a doubt the happiest, most helpful, competent group of employees that I have ever had the pleasure to be served by. The general manager "Josh" is akin to the world book of knowledge and will help you with anything required. Just speaking with him was a real rewarding experience.The ladies at the front desk such as Krystal and Kate go out of their way to make your stay so very warm and enjoyable.I highly recommend this Lodge for a relaxing,interesting and worthwhile stay. I am a world traveler, and this is the first time that I have ever bothered to write a review of any hotels previously visited. I am from Montreal Quebec and the people in our hotel industry could learn a great deal from ":Josh" and company on how to inspire guests..

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent with a view of the water.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Duncan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We came to Middle Beach Lodge for a girls weekend away. The lodge is very nice, clean, warm. The cabins we rented where beautiful! Very clean, great views, only a minute walk from Mackenzie Beach!!
The breakfast & Coffee bar in the morning was such a nice feature!
The staff at Middle Beach Lodge are so nice and accommodating. Check out this lodge if you want an amazing stay in Tofino.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our stay in the lodge was absolutely perfect!
We booked the cheapest room with ocean view. Although a small room, everything was so nicely designed and cosy! Great bed. The nicest thing about the place is the great living room where you feel immediately at home. We arrived after a long (although beautiful!) journey from victoria and enjoyed the tea and cookies in the evening in front of the fireplace. The atmosphere was even that relaxed that one of us fell asleep on one of the comfy sofas.
In april no dinner was being served but upon request they did arrange us a bottle of red wine. We had dinner in nearby tofino which was no effort at all.
Overall i can really recommend the place, especially because of its beautiful spot next to the sea and beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

... there are a couple of areas where they need to improve ...

A) Dinner
We stayed a couple of nights at the MBL - dinner was only possible at the first night - all other nights we had to eat in Tofino or in the room. We couldn't understand why it is not possible to offer a meal to the guests ... ? We assume that the first night dinner was only possible because there was a group / wedding at the hotel.

B) Room allocations
We arrived without a dog or any other animal - however we were given a "pet friendly room". We could not find out how rooms are cleaned when a pet had been in there and in our case we assume it hadn't been cleaned properly ... We would expect people travelling without pets should be allocated "normal" rooms.

C) Cleanliness in general
Overall average or in some areas poor: There was a "flat mosquito" on one of the walls when we arrive and it was still there when we left - if one would have been only a little bit attentive one would have seen the black spot at the wall ... The dishes, cutlery, glases, etc were simply dirty and one had to wash them before using. The top or first two dishes were fine, everything below was a kind of "greasy" ...

Nevertheless - we enjoyed our stay - but this had to do with the excellent location - we loved the crashing of the waves, walking along the beach, etc. and we are convinced that one could do more out of this location if one focus on the guests and improve services.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Bariloche-61,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge, in beautiful Tofino, BC! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stayed overall, and that you were stunned by our beautiful location. We do apologize that certain aspects of your stay did not meet up to your expectations.

At Middle Beach Lodge we do offer dinner 5 nights a week, as well as complimentary breakfast for all of our guests each morning. In the chance that a guest is staying on a night when we do not offer dinner, we can gladly give dinner recommendations in town, and provide discount vouchers for these restaurants. Front desk staff could have provided all this information and more if inquired during your stay.

The only pet friendly units on our property are our cabins. However, all of our cabins our pet friendly. Therefore, you were not "allocated" into a pet friendly unit. If you asked to be in a cabin, then you would have been booked into a cabin. When guests with pets do check out of these units, housekeeping does a thorough deep clean of the unit to remove any pet hair or allergens that might affect future guests with allergies. This is why we charge guests with pets an extra $40.00 pet cleaning fee during their stay.

Your comments on the unit's cleanliness do raise a concern, and I will personally be sharing your comments with our housekeeping manager.

Please feel free to contact myself or our general manager, Josh Hannigan, if you would like to further discuss any comments or concerns you had with your recent stay.

Our hope is that if you were to stay with Middle Beach Lodge in the future, we would ensure that your previous stay does not truly represent our brand, and we would make your average experience into something that would exceed your expectations.

Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure if I felt more disappointed or angry that this hotel charges the high prices it does for the poor accommodation you get. I find it absolutely ridiculous especially as I stayed at the amazing black rock hotel in ucluelet for just a little extra the night before where the room was so fantastic. I just wish I hadn't come to middle beach lodge. The room was so tiny, barely enough space for us both to put our bags down where we wouldn't have to keep climbing over them. The bathroom was like a washroom on a plane, also very tiny. So small that the sink had to be put in the bedroom! I was not at all pleased to see that. There was a dusty cobweb in the corner of the room so cleaning standards obviously aren't that great here. I've seen much better rooms staying in hostels. You don't even get a fridge in your room, there's no space of course. It's the first hotel I've been to that doesn't provide a small fridge.
The breakfast was rather nice, it was the one thing I did like here. The views are also nice but there are many nice views around Tofinos accommodation.
So for me, I found it infuriating that you get such a low standard of room for the high price they charge. The manager might say they are competitively priced for Tofino, but I think not. I've seen much cheaper prices elsewhere and the rooms couldn't be any smaller!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear TravellerBing,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful, Tofino, BC. It is very concerning to our management team that you had such a "disappointing" stay, and therefore I would like to break down the following issues experienced.

Please note that the unit you stayed in is the smallest unit on the entire property, at the Lodge at the Beach. We do inform guests that this is a "Cozy" ocean facing lodge room with no fridge, TV, or phone. Furthermore, if the front desk would have been informed of the disappointment in the room size we gladly would have offered to discount an upgrade to any of our luxurious lodge rooms, suites, or cabins.

This brings us to the next topic of the unit's cleanliness. I do apologize sincerely that the room was not up to your standards, and there is no excuse for having a cobweb in the corner of the unit. Please be aware that this is a rare situation and the housekeeping manager will be notified of the above complaint.

I do firmly believe that these units are competitively priced based on their amenities. From my years of experience in the hospitality industry, I have yet to see another ocean facing lodge room for $99.00/night that also includes a delicious breakfast. Therefore, I do stand my ground that for the value Middle Beach Lodge provides these units are priced very competitively across the industry.

I do urge you to contact myself or our general manager, Josh Hannigan, if you would like to further discuss any issues or concerns regarding your recent stay.

Our hope is that if you do choose to visit Middle Beach Lodge again, we will be able to prove that your recent experience does not truly represent our brand, and that we would be able to provide you with an outstanding experience.

Middle Beach Lodge

Been to Middle Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!