“Wonderful 1st anniversary trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

You added Middle Beach Lodge to your Saves list
Middle Beach Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 MacKenzie Beach Road | PO Box 100, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Tofino
Vancouver
“Wonderful 1st anniversary trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband booked Middlebeach lodge for our first anniversary trip! My parents have been staying here for years so we were curious to see what it was all about! He booked an ocean front balcony ground floor room in the "lodge at the beach" and at first glance were disapointed with the room. We knew from my parents to expect "cozy rustic" but didn't expect the room to be so small and have a sink two feet from our bed and not in the actual bathroom. We asked the front desk if we could move rooms, but unfortunately as it was a long weekend the hotel was sold out.
Fortunately everything else about the hotel ended up making up for the room. We loved the great room and spent many hours reading by the fireplace and staring out at the ocean. We ate dinner at the hotel for both the crab and halibut meals and they were absolutely delicious and great value. We also thought there was a good amount of variety at breakfast, I especially loved the cinamon buns and the fresh made cookies each evening after dinner.
A nice touch was a bottle of champagne and note from the manager in our room for our anniversary, much appreciated.
In the end we found what makes this hotel special, is not the sleeping arrangements, but the overall vibe of Middle Beach Lodge. Spending time relaxing in the great room, wine and book in hand listening to the fire crackle, the laid back friendly staff, the food and unpretencious nature.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Another excellent stay at the Lodge at the end of February. Occasional specials come up in Victoria newspaper and this one through TravelZoo (really good website for travel discounts if you haven't tried it).

The Lodge has incredibly friendly Reservation and Front Desk staff, cleaning staff, and the best "included" breakfast we have had anywhere in the world so far. The breakfast room offers a rustic but comfortable setting overlooking the beach (Mackenzie Beach) with typical west coast scenery of huge fir trees, hanging moss, the odd rook, and sunshine or windy winter surf.

We were upgraded from the cozy Lodge at the Beach rooms we were looking forward to, due to the annual maintenance work, but what an upgrade. The 6 plex, adult only, cabins at the point were beautiful. King bed, full kitchen, fireplace, huge bathroom with picture window through bedroom and out to the pacific ocean. They provide warm soft bathrobes and towels, and very nice bath products. The sunsets and full moon are unbeatable from this grouping. Don't overlook the Lodge at the Beach rooms though, they are tiny, but very cozy and have a cute little balcony to see the water, not to mention they are just up the stairs from the breakfast room, lounge, and huge stone fireplace in that lodge. Oh, and best of all - at 8:00 every evening they bake chocolate chip cookies and put them out for guests to enjoy while sitting in the comfy lounge around the fireplace. Coffee, teas and hot chocolate are always available in the lounges at both lodges.

Best of all, when you arrive there is a great display of tall sailing rubber boots, and yellow rain jackets for guests to borrow to walk on the beaches, or through the woodland trails. The town of Tofino is a short drive, or a nice walk away (in good weather). There is also a nicely paved bike path that parallels the highway for quite a distance out of Tofino.

Take the time to drive down to Ucluelet and have a look around. Lunch at the Blue Room was yummy. Then carry on to the end of the road to the lighthouse station and the Wild Westcoast Trail. A beautiful walk of about 45 - 60 minutes through and along the edge of the forest, providing some incredible views of coastline, crashing waves, and whatever else the day brings. One trip we saw grey whales just out off the lighthouse when we went down to see the sunset.

We ran into snow at the summit between Pt. Alberni and the crossroads into Tofino and Ucluelet, but otherwise a beautiful drive. About 2.5 hrs from Parksville, if you want to break up the drive from Victoria area. Total time from 4.5 to 5 hours depending on traffic and weather. Give yourself at least two nights or more up there to be able to enjoy the scenery and activities and explore all the beaches and trails.

We will go back again to Middle Beach Lodge - we have checked out all the other properties along the beach stretch, and for us, this one is tops. Crystal Cove has cute log cabins in a well manicured property with camping spots as well, at the other end of Mackenzie Beach. Check for yourself to make sure your style and needs are provided whereever you stay, but we would highly recommend this location.

Room Tip: Lodge at the Beach - Room 23 or 24 6 Plex Cabins at the point - Room 61 or 64 are at end with extra...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Julie & Brad,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We’re flattered that you have considered us your number one pick in Tofino!

We would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor and we hope to see you again in the future.

Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in February recently and was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Although, if you're looking for luxury, look elsewhere.

We stayed in an upper triplex cabin suite, which was quite nice. It seems that if they had designed the cabins a little differently, they could have given all of the cabins a nice view. We were aware of the 'obstructed' view at the time of booking, and it wasn't that bad but could have been better I'm sure. The suite had everything we needed, although the kitchenette was tiny and a little awkward, with the ladder for the loft going over the counter top, which I didn't feel was very hygienic. I get that it's supposed to have a cabin feel, but the lighting throughout was terrible, especially in the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and the fireplace was a nice addition.

The main lodge was lovely, I enjoyed the ambiance and one of the nights we stayed there, we played scrabble in front of the fireplace.

The complimentary breakfast was nice, although I felt it was a lot of fatty carbs. I would have liked to see more healthy options, although I don't have any suggestions on what else they could offer. Possibly a fruit salad or something?

We loved the all day coffee in the lodge, and the fresh baked cookies at 8pm were a nice treat.

The walking trails around the property were nice for a short walk to see the surrounding beaches.

We did enjoy our visit, and I would probably stay here again, but not until after I try out some other resorts in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Islandgirlie522,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We will appreciate the feedback and will look into some of your suggestions.

You would be excited to know we have recently put all new kitchenettes into our cabins and suites which have definitely been upgraded and are a much welcomed improvement. The lighting will also be upgraded in the near future especially in all the washrooms.

As for healthy choices at our complimentary breakfast, we do have fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, cereals, and fresh juices.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stumbled across Middle Beach Lodge, as one of the only few options left on a busy Canadian long weekend, and I am sooo glad I did! It was such an amazing place. Everything was perfect! From the rusticly,beautiful lodge that offers complimetary breakfast, tea, croisants, and cookies! to the beautiful lofted apartment right on the ocean. You cannot find a better place in Tofino. I work at a hotel myself, and know the standards that need to be kept, and this far exceeded my expectations. It blows my mind that people complain about small things, such as the people WALKING on the floor above them, when there are sooo many other positives to focus on!

GREAT JOB MIDDLE BEACH LODGE! I PLAN TO COME BACK! :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Swarr07,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! Thank you for all your positive feedback!

Our amazing staff is the reason we are able to keep those high standards in place. We are constantly trying to raise the bar and provide guests with an exceptional Middle Beach Lodge experience and we are glad you got a taste of this.

Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was recently here for a single night due to work commitments. In booking, I had a special request and was granted my request. I must say that was a great start.

Upon arriving, I got in late. I did let the staff know and, again, no issues. When I finally did arrive, had a great check-in and was explained the use of the "main lodge" as well as surroundings.

I was given a triplex cabin (#35) which is a little more room than I need. While I was also given a map, I had a bit of a rough time trying to find it. Mind you, it was very dark, rainy, and couldn't see too well but eventually, I found it.

Ok, when I stay here, I'm not expecting a Hilton hotel type experience. I'm expecting a rustic experience with a great view. Well, that's what MBL delivers. The cabin is definitely rustic but very usable. There's a very old stove in the corner which I didn't use. Right beside it was a refridgerator, which I did use. They provide a log and matches if you want to start a fire. The room was a decent size and so was the bathroom.

I visited the main lodge in the morning to check out the free continental breakfast. It was decent with a good supply of bread, hard boiled eggs, juice, and coffee. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time as I had a breakfast meeting so had to run off quickly.

The main lodge is actually very spacious and has a good amount of room if you just want to relax by yourself or with friends. It was a very relaxing space.

Would I come back? Yes. Would I recommend it to my friends? Yes.

Room Tip: Book a cabin as it allows a bit more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear BrainDrain,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We hope your stay, although short, was a very relaxing one.

We take pride in offering rustic cabins, that not only make for a private serene experience, but that boast some of the best ocean views on the Tofino Coast. When guests think West Coast, they think rustic cabins, rugged shoreline, roaring fires, storm watching, and a cozy lodge… these are all things we plan on delivering to them and we are glad you got to experience this.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just got back from spending Valentines Day weekend at the MBL with my stunningly beautiful wife. We spent part of our honeymoon there years ago, and this is also our anniversary weekend. Stayed in room 20. Small and cozy, but with a great view and sound of the surf below us. Chelsea at the front desk was wonderful, and the staff were all first rate. If you go be sure to walk up to the "main" lodge at the Headlands, and enjoy a drink from their little (well stocked) bar while you take in the mind boggling view.

Tofino has changed over the years. Some new restaurants, and a lot of new buildings. SOBO is a great new restaurant. The Wildside Grill off the highway (in the complex with the surfer dudes) has the best food in town, bar none. Try the Shrimp hamburger (with sweet chili mayo)...my Gawd.......

Sad to see the old Crab Bar restaurant get sold to a huge chain (Cactus Club Cafe), but there are many other places to enjoy authentic West Coast meals.

Finally, take the time to go to Radar Hill and see the memorial to the Princess Patricia Light Infantry, D Company. The memorial is both moving and sombre, but in a spectacular setting. Bring a poppy, say a prayer, and reflect on how beautiful this country and its people are.

Room Tip: Pick a room that has a direct view of the ocean. Avoid the rooms that have an "angled" vie...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear A-Canuck,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We hope we made your romantic Valentine’s Day getaway extra special!

We take pride in having a wonderful staff who are constantly going above and beyond for our guests, and we are glad you got to experience this first hand.

Tofino has indeed changed over the last few years with many new and amazing restaurants starting up. Wild Side Grill is probably our favorite… but keep it a secret; we don’t want the lineups getting too long!

Radar Hill is always a must-see and we do encourage all of our guests to take time out their visits to go experience this historic site for themselves. It can be a very moving yet peaceful place.

Port Alberni, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I thought that I would never write in trip advirsor but here it goes.........My husband and I go to Long beach every year at this time. I had noticed a trazel zoo deal in Novmember. Thought we have never been there before so lets book. When we got there the girls at the front deck were very polite. Got our key and went to our room....I was a little shocked to see how small the room was but we thought oh well we are here now. Had a great walk on the beach then went to meet some friends in Tofino for dinner. We went back to our room and listened to the waves and fell a sleep. Not but an hour later we could hear someone above around room pacing around going to the bathroom and it continued for about 4 hours. My husband and I were not impressed .. How can you have a relaxing evening listening to that.!!! I had told the front desk girls the next morning about it and their response was "Maybe someone was not feeling well." I looked and said that, that was not what I came to listen to. We felt that we were in someone basement having to listen to that!!!! Im sure there is nicer rooms than that -but travel zoo and Middle beach do not let you know the facts. We have been going to Tofino for many years but never again to that place!!!!

Dear Mrdr_13,

We appreciate you taking a moment to review your past stay at the lodge. Each comment you have made will be addressed with our management team, who will review the service levels that were provided during your stay.

We are truly sorry that you were kept up all night by the guests above you and that is not something that normally happens at the Lodge at the Beach. The Lodge at the Beach is an adult only area, and does not allow pets making it a very quiet and peaceful place for our guests to relax. It is unfortunate that in this rare situation this was not the case, and we do apologize for this.

I would like to encourage you to contact myself or our General Manager, Duane Bell with any further comments or concerns.

Our hope is that if you were to return to the West Coast we would have the opportunity to show you that your past experience does not truly represent our brand.

Kind Regards,

Markus McRurie
Manager
Middle Beach Lodge

Been to Middle Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!