“Rustic and cozy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

You added Middle Beach Lodge to your Saves list
Middle Beach Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 MacKenzie Beach Road | PO Box 100, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Tofino
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Rustic and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in February recently and was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Although, if you're looking for luxury, look elsewhere.

We stayed in an upper triplex cabin suite, which was quite nice. It seems that if they had designed the cabins a little differently, they could have given all of the cabins a nice view. We were aware of the 'obstructed' view at the time of booking, and it wasn't that bad but could have been better I'm sure. The suite had everything we needed, although the kitchenette was tiny and a little awkward, with the ladder for the loft going over the counter top, which I didn't feel was very hygienic. I get that it's supposed to have a cabin feel, but the lighting throughout was terrible, especially in the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable and the fireplace was a nice addition.

The main lodge was lovely, I enjoyed the ambiance and one of the nights we stayed there, we played scrabble in front of the fireplace.

The complimentary breakfast was nice, although I felt it was a lot of fatty carbs. I would have liked to see more healthy options, although I don't have any suggestions on what else they could offer. Possibly a fruit salad or something?

We loved the all day coffee in the lodge, and the fresh baked cookies at 8pm were a nice treat.

The walking trails around the property were nice for a short walk to see the surrounding beaches.

We did enjoy our visit, and I would probably stay here again, but not until after I try out some other resorts in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Islandgirlie522,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We will appreciate the feedback and will look into some of your suggestions.

You would be excited to know we have recently put all new kitchenettes into our cabins and suites which have definitely been upgraded and are a much welcomed improvement. The lighting will also be upgraded in the near future especially in all the washrooms.

As for healthy choices at our complimentary breakfast, we do have fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, cereals, and fresh juices.

We would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor and we hope to see you again in the future.

All the Staff of Middle Beach Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stumbled across Middle Beach Lodge, as one of the only few options left on a busy Canadian long weekend, and I am sooo glad I did! It was such an amazing place. Everything was perfect! From the rusticly,beautiful lodge that offers complimetary breakfast, tea, croisants, and cookies! to the beautiful lofted apartment right on the ocean. You cannot find a better place in Tofino. I work at a hotel myself, and know the standards that need to be kept, and this far exceeded my expectations. It blows my mind that people complain about small things, such as the people WALKING on the floor above them, when there are sooo many other positives to focus on!

GREAT JOB MIDDLE BEACH LODGE! I PLAN TO COME BACK! :)

Dear Swarr07,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! Thank you for all your positive feedback!

Our amazing staff is the reason we are able to keep those high standards in place. We are constantly trying to raise the bar and provide guests with an exceptional Middle Beach Lodge experience and we are glad you got a taste of this.

Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I was recently here for a single night due to work commitments. In booking, I had a special request and was granted my request. I must say that was a great start.

Upon arriving, I got in late. I did let the staff know and, again, no issues. When I finally did arrive, had a great check-in and was explained the use of the "main lodge" as well as surroundings.

I was given a triplex cabin (#35) which is a little more room than I need. While I was also given a map, I had a bit of a rough time trying to find it. Mind you, it was very dark, rainy, and couldn't see too well but eventually, I found it.

Ok, when I stay here, I'm not expecting a Hilton hotel type experience. I'm expecting a rustic experience with a great view. Well, that's what MBL delivers. The cabin is definitely rustic but very usable. There's a very old stove in the corner which I didn't use. Right beside it was a refridgerator, which I did use. They provide a log and matches if you want to start a fire. The room was a decent size and so was the bathroom.

I visited the main lodge in the morning to check out the free continental breakfast. It was decent with a good supply of bread, hard boiled eggs, juice, and coffee. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of time as I had a breakfast meeting so had to run off quickly.

The main lodge is actually very spacious and has a good amount of room if you just want to relax by yourself or with friends. It was a very relaxing space.

Would I come back? Yes. Would I recommend it to my friends? Yes.

Room Tip: Book a cabin as it allows a bit more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear BrainDrain,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We hope your stay, although short, was a very relaxing one.

We take pride in offering rustic cabins, that not only make for a private serene experience, but that boast some of the best ocean views on the Tofino Coast. When guests think West Coast, they think rustic cabins, rugged shoreline, roaring fires, storm watching, and a cozy lodge… these are all things we plan on delivering to them and we are glad you got to experience this.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just got back from spending Valentines Day weekend at the MBL with my stunningly beautiful wife. We spent part of our honeymoon there years ago, and this is also our anniversary weekend. Stayed in room 20. Small and cozy, but with a great view and sound of the surf below us. Chelsea at the front desk was wonderful, and the staff were all first rate. If you go be sure to walk up to the "main" lodge at the Headlands, and enjoy a drink from their little (well stocked) bar while you take in the mind boggling view.

Tofino has changed over the years. Some new restaurants, and a lot of new buildings. SOBO is a great new restaurant. The Wildside Grill off the highway (in the complex with the surfer dudes) has the best food in town, bar none. Try the Shrimp hamburger (with sweet chili mayo)...my Gawd.......

Sad to see the old Crab Bar restaurant get sold to a huge chain (Cactus Club Cafe), but there are many other places to enjoy authentic West Coast meals.

Finally, take the time to go to Radar Hill and see the memorial to the Princess Patricia Light Infantry, D Company. The memorial is both moving and sombre, but in a spectacular setting. Bring a poppy, say a prayer, and reflect on how beautiful this country and its people are.

Room Tip: Pick a room that has a direct view of the ocean. Avoid the rooms that have an "angled" vie...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear A-Canuck,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We hope we made your romantic Valentine’s Day getaway extra special!

We take pride in having a wonderful staff who are constantly going above and beyond for our guests, and we are glad you got to experience this first hand.

Tofino has indeed changed over the last few years with many new and amazing restaurants starting up. Wild Side Grill is probably our favorite… but keep it a secret; we don’t want the lineups getting too long!

Radar Hill is always a must-see and we do encourage all of our guests to take time out their visits to go experience this historic site for themselves. It can be a very moving yet peaceful place.

Port Alberni, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I thought that I would never write in trip advirsor but here it goes.........My husband and I go to Long beach every year at this time. I had noticed a trazel zoo deal in Novmember. Thought we have never been there before so lets book. When we got there the girls at the front deck were very polite. Got our key and went to our room....I was a little shocked to see how small the room was but we thought oh well we are here now. Had a great walk on the beach then went to meet some friends in Tofino for dinner. We went back to our room and listened to the waves and fell a sleep. Not but an hour later we could hear someone above around room pacing around going to the bathroom and it continued for about 4 hours. My husband and I were not impressed .. How can you have a relaxing evening listening to that.!!! I had told the front desk girls the next morning about it and their response was "Maybe someone was not feeling well." I looked and said that, that was not what I came to listen to. We felt that we were in someone basement having to listen to that!!!! Im sure there is nicer rooms than that -but travel zoo and Middle beach do not let you know the facts. We have been going to Tofino for many years but never again to that place!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrdr_13,

We appreciate you taking a moment to review your past stay at the lodge. Each comment you have made will be addressed with our management team, who will review the service levels that were provided during your stay.

We are truly sorry that you were kept up all night by the guests above you and that is not something that normally happens at the Lodge at the Beach. The Lodge at the Beach is an adult only area, and does not allow pets making it a very quiet and peaceful place for our guests to relax. It is unfortunate that in this rare situation this was not the case, and we do apologize for this.

I would like to encourage you to contact myself or our General Manager, Duane Bell with any further comments or concerns.

Our hope is that if you were to return to the West Coast we would have the opportunity to show you that your past experience does not truly represent our brand.

Kind Regards,

Markus McRurie
Manager
Middle Beach Lodge
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Enjoyed a week end at Long Beach and our stay at Middle Beach Lodge. Nice room, great complimentary breakfast and really made to feel at home. We moved our picnic, which was originally planned for the beach, to the great room and enjoyed the crackling fire in the huge rock fire place. Relaxed efficiency at a reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Dennis,

Relaxing by a roaring fire in the grand fireplace is one of our guests’ favourite past time, especially on a cold winter evening! We are glad you felt welcomed and invited and we hope all of our guests can view Middle Beach Lodge as their home away from home.

We would like to personally thank you for taking the time to post this review on Trip Advisor and we hope to see you again in the future!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have been to Tofino twice in the past few months and stayed at three different locations - Middle Beach Lodge is the one!

The location is terrific, the Lodge building is exceptional and the rates were excellent (we stayed in the off season). There are a large variety of rooms in this location, we stayed in the first single cabin as you enter the headlands property. Because of the variety of rooms I can't speak for them all.

I loved the location and grounds, the Lodge building (awesome), the complimentary breakfast in the Lodge each morning and the suppers we had there were good. We will definitely be going back there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear StParrot,

We are glad you enjoyed your West Coast Getaway at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia! We are honored for you to consider us to be your number one destination in Tofino. A big thank you!

We are thrilled you got to enjoy our pristine location perched among some of the most beautiful coastline Vancouver Island has to offer!

All the Staff of Middle Beach Lodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofino
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
#8 of 17 in Tofino
4.5 of 5 stars 172 reviews
Ocean Village Beach Resort
Long Beach Lodge Resort

Been to Middle Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!