“Breathe in, slow down ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tofino Travellers Guesthouse

You added Tofino Travellers Guesthouse to your Saves list
Tofino Travellers Guesthouse
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   231 Main Street, Tofino, British Columbia V0R2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 46 Tofino B&B and Inns
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Breathe in, slow down ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

What a place! Tofino is just a great place to relax, to breathe in, to get a rest and slow down. Unfortunately we didn't know this when we planned our trip. So the two nights we stayed where just way to short! Or as Nick said: "You guys are crazy to come all the way out here and just stay for two days!" Yeah, Nick, we are. But if we come back we would for sure stay at Nick's place, the Tofino Traveller Guest House, again. This yellow house overlooks the nearby bay. You can sit outside on the patio and enjoy your meals and the time with other great guests staying in the house, coming from everywhere in the world and sharing their stories. We loved the healthy waffles in the morning on the huge table in the kitchen, we loved our bedroom with a fantastic, comfortable bed. We loved the atmosphere of the place and we really hated to go way too soon. Our daughter, who is 4, always would ask us when we were out hiking the trails around Tofino, if we couldn't rather go back to the big family in the yellow house that we were staying with. So this is how it feels to hang out at Nick's. This surely depends on the other guests there as well, but it is surely also a part of how Nick runs this place. Thanks, and hope to see you again one day soon! Oh, and thanks for the advice on Tacofino ... We got that!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed twice during July, over in Tofino for work...I am not a "typical" hotel person. This is the kind of place you want to stay if you are a traveller; lots of interesting folks from around the world to chat with, a relaxed environment, casual and comfortable. Nick is an amazing host..wise, attentive and warm...and his staff are just as accommodating. Beds are comfortable. Breakfast was terrific, and one evening, we BBQ'd our dinner on the deck (the cedar tables are pretty awesome. BTW). If you want to feel "at home" on the West Coast, then check this place out. Seriously.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We spent two nights at the Guesthouse in a 6 bed dorm (which is something we wouldn't normally do). It was very comfortable and immaculately clean (almost unheard of for a backpackers).
Nick was a really friendly guy and made us feel comfortable and welcome. He bought a whole tuna and served MASSIVE tuna steaks one night ($7 each) DELICIOUS.
The waffles were also enormous, cooked fresh as you arrived at the breakfast table, they were some kind of wholemeal mix which made them all the more appealing.

We really liked the fact that there were a couple of families staying at the same time. Certainly different to the usual backpacker hostel experience.

Also as a side note for same sex couples/families - this is certainly a friendly place to stay.

The only thing I could mention is the size of the showers. They were extremely clean and there was never a line up - but if you're a woman wanting to shave her legs I would suggest waxing before you arrive :)

Room Tip: Go for a private room with an ensuite if you can. Book early to secure (we didn't get in early e...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The guesthouse is great. We are a family of four (two girls ages 4 and 7) and had a great stay at Nick's in early july. He made us feel comfortable straight away and we got along fine with the other guests too. It really felt like a home away from home. Not just because of the excellent lessons in crab cooking (and eating) and the waffles (yum!), but mostly because of Nick's generous and kind nature, not to forget the jokes and words of wisdom. The kids were having great fun around the house, the public playground that was just a short walk away, not to forget the beaches of the Pacific Rim Park.

Room Tip: We stayed in both the room with 4 bunk beds (cool room...kid's favourite!) as well as the Double...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I wandered into Tofino basically without a clue as to what to expect. I came there becuase I knew it was one of the few places where I could find Surf.
As I surf in Ireland I wanted to experience somesurfing in Canada.
Anyway I arrived late in the evening to-fino :-) and basically walked around looking for accomadation. The first hostel I tried was equal in price to this one and would have been bigger etc. When I arrived at this one the guy at the door told me id love it. I told him I may be back and left for a walk to think on my options.
I decided to take his word for it and stayed the night.
What I didnt expect was I ended up staying for ten nights instead of two.
This was because I found it a fantastic "home from home" relaxing commuinal place to get to know Tofino from.
The hostel was very clean and everybody there seemed to become like a family and very quickly too. It had all the amenities I expected and more.
Its location overlooks lone cone mountain and the estuary and the sunsets right in front of the decking area where a large table of solid wood and log seats can be found. There is also bbq facilities here too.
I found the beds and washrooms comfortable and clean and the kitchen the same.
Over all I really liked this Hostel , it felt different to the many ive stayed where there was a warm welcome and the magic of Tofino that it has in abundance by the way seems to have been captured in this hostel.
Youll have to go there an see for yourself.
A truly memorable time :-)
Shane O

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately, within 2 hours of arrival I felt very uncomfortable as the owner was asking very personal questions & it felt like he was flirting with me. I found this unsettling (extremely creepy) & I would strongly recommend solo, female travellers to consider staying elsewhere.

It was a shame because the location of this guesthouse is good, views of the water are spectacular, kitchen is well equipped & wifi works well (but unavailable at night). The waffles for breakfast are a nice too.

I felt there was little privacy here. Partly due to my initial experience, but also the beds are connected in the room & so it felt like I was sharing a bed with 2 others. All areas are communal, there are no lockers (no where to secure valuables) & no locks on doors. There is one bathroom sink available for use by up to 14 people.The owner is always around & seemed to be a control freak.

The owner is aiming for a family atmosphere which is a lovely idea, but for me, I just felt like I was back on school camp again *groan*

• Stayed July 2013
nickinvictoria, Owner at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear WAcatch,

I am very sorry that you felt uncomfortable in the guesthouse. We pride ourselves on providing a communal, welcoming respite for travellers, be they travelling alone or with friends/family.

I can also understand your anger at being asked to leave. This was not a request that we made lightly - it is a first for us - and I believed it was in your best interest. I hope that was clear by our actions: we refunded the nights you did not stay and arranged travel to another location.

In response to your other comments:

* As per the room descriptions, only double rooms are private. When we are not full, as when you stayed, guests can choose where they sleep

* By being on site, we look after guest's belongings and make sure the environment is safe for all. We also offer locked storage if guests prefer

* Unless guests are staying in rooms with private facilities, bathrooms are shared and our experience to date is that we rarely have queues

Finally, as many guests attest to, our morning waffles are made with love.

At Tofino Travellers Guesthouse we want to make each guest feel at home and enjoy their stay with us. I'm sorry that didn't happen for you.

Wishing you the best,
Tofino Travellers Guesthouse
Parksville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is probably the best value in Tofino. It's quite basic, but although it needs a little TLC it's clean, very friendly, and the only hostel I know that provides breakfast. The guests include young travellers, families, seniors on a budget. The location is great and the beds really comfortable.

Room Tip: You'll be sharing a room, lots of space under the beds for backpacks.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Tofino Travellers Guesthouse? Share your experiences!