“Coziest place on the planet!” 5 of 5 stars

Emerald Forest Bed & Breakfast
1326 Pacific Rim Highway, Tofino, British Columbia V0R 2Z0, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 46 Tofino B&B and Inns
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Coziest place on the planet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed here in October and it was amazing. Everything you could ask for in a B&B in the woods: incredibly friendly manager (Albert) and such a beautiful setting. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a laid back vacation in Tofino.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We found this online and are so happy we did! The B&B is a good set up for two couples. We took both queen bed rooms with the shared bath and common entry area. Both rooms are comfortable, quiet and cozy, nestled in cedar trees and huckleberry bushes. Beds, towels, sheets, etc are clean, new and good quality - many from Ikea.

Our friendly and knowledgeable host Albert made a lovely simple breakfast with really good coffee, excellent granola, fruit, bread and jams. A small fridge, kettle, tea things, books, games, etc. were provided in the common entry area (along with a wood stove for winter stays).

We peaked in at the nearby Cedar Bark cottage with it's self contained kitchenette and separate sleeping mezzanine with fold-out bed in the living area and would definitely consider this for a family stay.

The retreat is a short walk from Chesterman Beach and a quick 5 minute drive into Tofino proper - a great location. We would definitely recommend the Emerald Forest B&B for two couples who are comfortable sharing the bathroom.

Room Tip: Part of the roof in both rooms is glass so make sure you bring a sleep mask if sleeping in after sun...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The the Emerald Forest Retreat is our favourite place to stay in Tofino. If you're looking for fancy, rich luxuries and unnecessary overindulge, go somewhere else. But....If you're looking for warmth, peace, relaxation, and the wonderful smells and view of cedar trees from your bed, this is the place. Unlike other places in Tofino that are super touristy, the Emerald Forest feels like home. Breakfast is light and simple, with homemade bread made my the owners. The coffee is primo, and I personally LOVE the hot outdoor shower. Albert and Sabine are very friendly and fill their home and B&B with love that was felt to us on our first visit. We go back to Tofino a least 6 times a year and stay here every time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed in the cabin about 50m away from the B&B itself.Although it is pretty centrally located, this cabin makes you feel like you are in the middle of the rainforest with no one else around. We stayed in shoulder season where it rained everyday but that didn't matter. We were able to have fires on the wood stove, and cook meals at our leisure. The cabin is loft style, is in great condition, and is eco-friendly. The shower is outside, which may seem alarming at first, but it ended up being a treat. Even with the cold weather, the shower was hot, with nothing but forest surrounding you. A truly unique get-away- we will definitely return!! Thank you Sabine for your hospitality and accomodating our late night arrival.

Room Tip: Don't let the outdoor shower scare you away!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I spent two days/nights in and around Tofino and I am very thankful I stumbled upon the Emerald Forest B&B online.

Albert (one of the hosts) is an awesome guy - really helpful, friendly and full of good info about the area. The breakfast he prepared was fairly simple but delicious (fresh breads, jams, cereal, and good locally-roasted coffee), and he was very excited to share his knowledge of the area. He even packed me a breakfast to-go before 6:00 am, as I had to run to catch the ferry back to the mainland. Albert - I still have your knife and spoon and will bring em back next time. ;)

The place itself was great - my room was very neat, clean and warm, and I had the place pretty much to myself.

Next time I'm in Tofino, I will definitely stay at the Emerald Forest again.

Overall a great value for an awesome b&b. I will definitely stay there

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and were not impressed at all. It is a cute place in the forest and looks quite good coming up to it. When we arrived, we were greeted by Sabine, the owner, in the mud room. It was very warm because of a wood stove, which was nice, but the lights were off the entire time we were talking so it was hard to see or feel welcome. The mud room is very cramped and is downstairs, with no access to any common room or place to sit that isn't your bedroom. There is tea provided but I had to ask for a mug.

The thermostat on the room had a label on it saying minimum 10, maximum 20. Being that other b&bs we have stayed at had extra space heaters or more generous heat, I did not feel that this made my comfort a priority and 20 is too cold anyways.

The food is dropped off at your door at 8am which does not appear to be negotiable, except maybe if you want it a bit earlier. It is eaten in your bedroom at a table because there is no other room to eat it in. One day was granola in a jar, with access to milk in the shared fridge, along with toast/banana bread, jam and butter, and a piece of fruit each. The next day was similar but regular cereal (like all bran buds) in a jar. If you are still hungry, or would prefer the granola instead of the cereal, there doesn't seem to be an option for that. There is coffee in a thermos, and it was quite good. No juice or yogurt. Because it sits outside your bedroom door till you get it, toast is cold.

Talking to Sabine requires knocking on the closed door to her private home space. She did always come to the door when I knocked, but to me it felt like I was always interrupting her to ask for little things like a mug, a towel, etc. I had to ask for an extra facecloth and though I was given one, I was first told that they should already be in the room - which they were, but I needed an extra one. To me, if your guest asks for an extra facecloth, you just give them an extra facecloth - or maybe provide more than one towel and facecloth per guest to begin with.

The room itself was quite cheerful, beautiful skylight and view of the forest. Bathroom is shared between the 2 guest rooms. It was fine, no bathtub, just a standup shower. No curtain on the window, and from our room you could see through into the bathroom window if you tried. Walls are thin and the shower is very noisy - woke me up when the other guest showered early in the morning.

When it came time to pay, we were left an invoice with our breakfast. It is cash or cheque only, and the invoice provided at the end of our stay said we could leave payment in the envelope provided. I didn't bring my chequebook so was paying in cash (which I hadn't anticipated - credit card would have been preferable), but when I knocked on Sabine's door to give her the cash and ask for a receipt, nobody was there. I didn't want to leave cash without receiving a receipt, and was surprised that the b&b owner wasn't there when guests were departing (about a half hour before checkout time).

All in all, it was adequate but I would not stay there again. It is missing the warm feeling that b&bs often have, being that there is no common room or breakfast room, towels are stingy, rooms are very secluded from the rest of the house, and overall it did not feel hospitable. It is reasonably priced for Tofino, but for that price I'd rather just stay in the hostel where at least you have more space and can interact with the other guests. This is more of a boarding room than a b&b. On the plus side, besides the shared bathroom, it is very private, if you are looking for that. Sabine was always nice, always available (except when it was time to pay), but I found the experience lacked hospitality.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I came across the Emerald Forest B&B website as I tried to find the cheapest B&B in Tofino. Great value for money!! Very quiet, privat and cosy place, hidden in the forest. Friendly host, very clean room, great breakfast served to your door. We really enjoyed the experience of the outdoor shower. We especially recommend this place for all those who travel on a budget or are looking for an affordable place to stay in Tofino.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Emerald Forest Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!