“Sarah Approved” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Tofino
Castlegar, Canada
“Sarah Approved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We just spent a couple days at the most amazing place - we loaded the camper & left near the end of October from the Kootenay's vowing to experience Tofino one more time as last years experience was nice, but other than a walk on the beach, we encountered many difficulties finding nice places to camp and especially finding nice places that would welcome our dog - Sarah. So we couldn't stay as long as we would have liked. This time we discovered a little place only 2 km from Tofino. We arrived at MacKenzie Beach Resort late in the day and knew right away we had found our Oasis. Sarah was warmly welcomed by the owner's German Shepherd - Kiera - both dogs soon became best friends and playmates. We thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing swims in the salt water pool and dips in the hot tub and best of all the resort is not far from the most amazing beach - a true gem. Our hosts were so pleasant and welcoming, we will definitely make this our go to spot whenever we are in Tofino - for sure. Definitely a must see - check it out

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

we stayed here in September for two nights. We booked last minute and they allowed us to bring our dog which was great. The cabin is cute, has everything you need, the floor was a bit slanted ..toilets and sinks were a bit yellow and it was "rustic" feeling. Our only issue was on our second morning there we had no water pressure in the shower...sinks....the toilet wouldnt even flush, but when we came back from our hike it was back to norma so no biggiel. The fire place is great! Beds weren't amazing but we got a great nights sleep listening to the thunder. The cabins were all really close together so not much privacy but a cute little place seconds from the beach which is nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I spent last weekend at Mackenzie Beach Resort with the first night in an ocean view studio and then moving down to the waterfront 2 bedroom cabin on the second night. What an incredible experience to be about 50 feet from the high tide mark and having such an amazing view of the open ocean and the little islands. The cabin was warm, clean and had everything we needed for making meals and enjoying an evening fire. I've read some bad reviews but this is the oldest family-run resort in Tofino and normal wear and tear was part of our expectation. If this was a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton in this location it would way out of our price range.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the oceanfront unless you plan to visit often. It's truly a once in a lifetime...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We arrived later in the night in the off season with 4 people and ended up paying $56 for a no power patch of grass. On top of that my friend who was from the area was eating dinner at our sight and the staff rudely demanded he pay to stay or leave immediately. He was just dining with us!!
Management is not people friendly to say the least. To top it off she has a dog that would scare people that are not accustomed to dogs.

• Stayed October 2013
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have just returned from Tofino and stayed at Macknezies 16th,17th and 18th Sept 2013. Before I went I had read the reviews, good and bad so wasn’t quite sure but had a feeling all would be good-and I was right. First off I found the lady who checked me in as very polite and helpful. I was given cabin 7. Absolutely spotless, the stone tiled floor there was no dust built up, the bathroom shower too- normally you would have a slight discolouring or evidence of lime scale - but none. Nice toilettes which I was not expecting.
The microwave, kettle, coffee machine(with coffee) utensils all clean.The bed was very comfortable, sheets clean with no smell!(as mentioned in another review on here) It is dated, the windows sliding type and basic- but you have to remember the price is cheaper, and if you want Best Western up dated style etc.....go to Best Western, and pay the price !
I had a lovely view though trees facing the sea, and 20 seconds down some steps I was on the beach. At night the sound of the sea was lovely. Ideal location, 35mins walk from Tofino and there is a cycle track you can walk all rather than on the road. Also within 15 minutes walk form the resort is a small but great grocery store, smoothie place, grill take out, couple of clothing stores and bike hire. There is a coast walk being built from Mckenzies to Tofino, but its not yet complete
On my check out I promised to write a review, it is my honest reflection of a great stay and would recommend the cabins. I paid £208 for the three nights,Very good, great location. You've got to go and see the sunsets on the beach!

Room Tip: I would recommend Cabin 7, which is a double room . I was travelling on my own and this was spot on
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Burnaby, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The cabin is nice enough, wood for fire was wet though, pool not open. Just think people of tofino should feel guilty for the price charged! $800 for 2 nights on a rainy September?? You could almost build a cabin for that price. Last year we went to Washington and got a cabin on the beach for $60..... Less than 10 percent of the price...fishing was better also.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I never ended up staying here as I was completely put off by the appalling customer service during the booking process.

I booked a 3 bedroomed cabin via their website and received an email confirmation, only to hear later that they were not taking bookings and they would not honour my existing booking.

They were rude and unapologetic and I have no intention of considering this resort in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to MacKenzie Beach Resort? Share your experiences!