“Best Kept Secret” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tall Trees Bed and Breakfast

You added Tall Trees Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Tall Trees Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   412 8th Avenue East, Prince Rupert, British Columbia V8J 2M8, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 12 Prince Rupert B&B and Inns
Nanaimo
“Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

If I were going to be traveling to Prince Rupert on a regular basis I would selfishly refuse to write this review so it would stay quiet enough for me to get reservations there. As we drove down the street going there our hearts sank despite the good reviews we read. What did we get ourselves into?! As the picture another submitted of the house you get the feeling you should walk away and go find a motel. DON'T! We have never seen a B&B like this and likely won't again unless they open up another. The house is larger than it looks from the front as it is built on a slope, there are three rooms for rent; the hostess lives in another and the front room (more of a sitting room) and kitchen area is open to the guests. The back of the house overlooks a ravine with large trees, creek in the base of it. Sidewalk steps right beside the house takes you down into the ravine to walking paths.

Jamie, our hostess hand picked by Andrea, is friendly and accommodating. Like having met for the first time a young relative you didn't know you had and has opened her home to you. You immediately feel at home with her but is not in your face. She keeps a walkie-talkie by the front door so if you need her you can reach her whether she is elsewhere in the house or out somewhere. She keeps fresh fruit and snacks out in the kitchen for you to enjoy plus has goodies and drinks in the rooms. She asks what time you would like breakfast and what you would like to eat so if possible will accomodate your requests. It worked out well for us as the other guests ate at different times than we did, how well that will work if all want to eat at the same time may be more taxing for her. Jamie just started a short time ago so this may change in the summer season when it is busier.

One notation, the house is pet friendly so if you have allergies to animals or fear of animals (like dogs) talk to them first before booking. The house is clean and comfy.

If you like walking it would be possible to walk to the main part of town. Walmart and Tim Hortons are a further walk so you might want a car.

Has WIFI.

Room Tip: Rooms are all very well decorated: East Room - upstairs, probably the smallest of the rooms with...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Andrea P, Owner at Tall Trees Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderfully detailed endorsement of my property.
I know that for both Jaimie and I, it is very rewarding to know that our guests have enjoyed their stay and the atmosphere we strive to achieve inside the house. As an owner, I couldn't be prouder of Jaimie and her fabulous work ethic - and I am so grateful that you took the time to write about us and leave us this review.

- Andrea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We really enjoyed our two night stay as we toured through BC. Jamie was great and even set us up with coffee and muffins at 5am as we left to get the ferry. Very comfortable rooms and easy location for everywhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Terrace, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here previously and had a great time so I booked it again this time in the South Suite. The room was spacious and stuffed full of free extra goodies like chocolates and sodas. Plus an enormous bathroom that had all sorts free bath products. Our host Andrea was wonderful and even helped us plan a few hikes in the area and even drew us a map. She even has a great selection of DVDs if you want to watch a movie.

Room Tip: the South Suite is nice but the North Suite has a better jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Campbell River. BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business for 3 nights. My room was fantastic! Big jacuzzi tub, seperate shower, very spacious bedroom. Andrea the host is a treat to be around. Will definitely stay again next time I'm in Rupert!

• Stayed May 2013
Prince George
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed one night for business then back to Terrace but I will probably switch that next time to spend more time in Prince Rupert. I had a wonderful stay, all be it a short one, at Tall Trees. Andrea was a charming host, had a great nights sleep and left in the morning completely refreshed.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Philomath, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We felt very welcome. We love the room & the bath area. It was very luxurious. The breakfast was yummy. It had great access to walking trails. We got to watch movies and relax before setting out to start forestry work in Alaska. Thanks so much.

Room Tip: We liked the South Suite downstairs, but all the rooms were very nice and cozy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I booked the Tall Trees without knowing quite what to expect except that it was fairly cheap and seemed off the beaten track if a little worried that the description seemed too good to be true.

Then I arrived.

Yes, it was a very comfortable room, yes it came with free soda AND free wine, yes it was a three-room B&B about as removed from generic corporate hoteldom as anyone can get.

What I didn't expect was the amazing and friendly service, or quite how comfortable it would be, or the atmosphere— despite having only met Andrea when I checked in, I never actually felt like I'd essentially rented a room in a stranger's house despite that being technically what I'd done. The whole place has an atmosphere that's a little tricky to put into words; friendly, but also *personal* in a way that regular hotels just aren't.

Even leaving aside the service and atmosphere, the room itself had the comforts of a much higher class of hotel then I usually book, and yet it was only $100/night— less than the basic motel I booked in Juneau, AK just a few nights prior.

When I travel, the exact place I stay is something of an afterthought and determined only by price and a handful of very basic standards. However, I will probably make a point of passing through Prince Rupert on another trip just so I can stay here, and I will jam forks into my eyes if I ever say that about any hotel ever again.

Room Tip: There are only three rooms, each of which is a bit different from the others. I stayed in the front...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Tall Trees Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!