“Cosy & friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pioneer Backpackers Inn

Save Saved
You added Pioneer Backpackers Inn to your Saves list
Pioneer Backpackers Inn
167 3rd Ave East | Cow Bay, Prince Rupert, British Columbia V8J 1K4, Canada (Formerly Pioneer Hostel)   |
Special Offer
FREE shuttle pickup!
Auckland, New Zealand
“Cosy & friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Pioneer was a lovely comfortable backpackers with just the right feeling of cosy and homely and organised. I found it to be well set up with all the amenities a traveller could want inside and out. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Pioneer's Inn has been a great temporary home for two nights. Very lovely from the outside already; rooms are simple, but very clean and just "right". Laundry and kitchen facilities were great, and we met a nice and diverse group starting from younger backpackers to older couples. If we had to wait for the ferry to Alaska in Prince Rupert again, we'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Traveled solo around BC. My stay at the hostel was warm and friendly. Met some great folks from all around the globe. Within walking distance to town thus we had several brekfast options in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Ketchikan, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I did not stay at the Pioneer Backpackers Inn due to a medical emergency the day I was to arrive. I was not able to call the front desk. I was traveling alone. The next day I received a phone call from the front desk staff very rudely informing me that I would be charged full price for the night. I tried to explain to her that I had had a medical emergency but all she did was to be so insistent that I had caused the hotel a great inconvenience and that my punishment was to pay for the hotel night. I felt very very bad about this situation, and I will never, NEVER stay there, nor will I ever recommend it to anyone I know who is passing through Prince Rupert.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Christy A, Owner at Pioneer Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Customer,
A reservation is a contract between a guest and an accommodations provider whereby a guest guarantees payment for the night booked, and a hotel guarantees that the room will be available when the guests arrives.

We ask for a minimum of 48 hours cancellation notice. Even a phone call that same day to advise you weren't able to make it would have been a courtesy, as we would of been happy to sell the room to another customer - of which we turned away many for that night.

We had to contact you directly the following morning. It was a courtesy call from us to find out why you had not arrived, and if you would be requiring your second night - which we did not charge you for.

You informed me during our telephone conversation that you had meant to phone the day before but had simply forgotten. So you can imagine my surprise at seeing a very unhappy review claiming a medical emergency the day of your reservation...

Please be aware that any hotel would have done the same thing and held you accountable after turning away many guests. Travel insurance is always an excellent choice when traveling, as your insurance can re-imburse you for any valid medical emergencies.
Prince George, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for about 3 weeks. It was always clean and tidy. They staff were all friendly and helpful.
And it's walking distance to restaurants, cafés and stores. Everything you could want really. I have no complaints at all. I will definitely stay here next time I'm in Prince Rupert.

• Stayed August 2013
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Two "quite-senior" seniors, travelling light, on two backpacks, have now spent two three-day visits at Pioneer BP. in Prince Rupert AB. Highly recommend it. This is an older property in the historic Cow Bay area, close to downtown. It is ingeniously set up and maintained for the back-packing traffic. Rules are in place and enforced gently; e.g. The free computer access has a maximum of 20 minutes if some is waiting. Note "free". Suzanne and Christie have been extremely helpful in every way, from handling cancellation and re-booking to giving local directions. Also have arrangements for discounts for residents with local restaurants (try Cowpacino's coffee shop for lunch), and tour operations (whale-watching - that's great, too).

Satisfied guests, Gordon and Eveline..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Gran Canaria, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I loved my stay here at the Pioneer Inn because its cozy, very nice renovated with lots of colors and charm, very clean, a dorm where everybody has its own single bed, lots of bathrooms, every of them is private (WC included), a nice and spaciously back yard. The kitchen is very well stuffed, coffee and tea are complimentary. The hostel is placed very near to downtown, Safeway and Cow Bay. Greyhound is a 10-15 min walk away, a taxi is only about 5$. If its to rainy you can watch DVDs, TV, read or go to the library which is only a 5 min walk away. Laundry costs around 5$, washer, dryer, detergent included. If you have something to storage ask for the basement, not every staff member offered it by himself but it is no problem if you ask for it. In my case I wasn't informed by this and had to handle with wet stuff what was the only thing which was a bit a shame because it brought additional work and a lost of time to me. But as I said it is a really nice place to stay with lots of comfort and very helpful staff members. Try it out!

Room Tip: Dorm: In my opinion the two beds close to the door are a bit less comfy in case you like to stay for...