“Fell in love with the building.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pioneer Backpackers Inn

You added Pioneer Backpackers Inn to your Saves list
Pioneer Backpackers Inn
167 3rd Ave East | Cow Bay, Prince Rupert, British Columbia V8J 1K4, Canada (Formerly Pioneer Hostel)   |
Special Offer
FREE shuttle pickup!
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fell in love with the building.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Sadly I was on the skeena train trip, so I only had a bare 12 hours there and it wasn't enough! Lovely old building on the outside,lovely on the inside. I had a bed in the dorm which was very comfy, shower was clean and well kept. The free shuttle from the VIA station was a god send, and they arranged a taxi for me for the morning. I am gutted I didn't stay longer there. Best hostel in PR

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Sat on the Skeena Via Rail train less than two hours from Prince Rupert on a Sunday evening in late January I had brightly declined to prearrange any accomodation for my stay. Fortunately for me a kind gentleman spun me in the direction of the Pioneer Backpackers Inn. I was able to phone and book a single room in this homely establishment at very short notice, from the train lounge car in fact, as it barreled toward the British Columbian coast.
The Inn is homely and spacious and a genuinely attractive building as seen from the main drag of Prince Rupert, its wooden slated frontage painted a clear bright signal blue. The building would not seem out of place in cities such as San Francisco and Bergen and it is within a very short walking distance of the beautiful Cow Bay. Thare is also a very large supermarket and other local amenities nearby.
Christy, the proprietor, was friendly, helpful and quite happy to answer any questions that I had about the local area and onward transportation. There is also plenty of information for the discerning wanderer to peruse in the reception area (Alaska Marine Highway, BC Ferries etc).
Free Wi-Fi is provided and there are two computers available for use downstairs in the lounge area along with some guitars should you be of a musical disposition (or have delusions thereof).
I had a very pleasant stay here and would do so again should I ever visit Prince Rupert in the future.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Pioneer_hostel, Owner at Pioneer Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review - It was a pleasure having you here!
Cheers,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The Pioneer Backpackers Inn is a home, not only a hostel.

Entering the hostel you will be filled with warmth immediately. Christy, the owner, has the perfect hand needed to make this place not only comfortable, but special in several ways.

It´s quiet, cozy, very clean, and there´s rooms available for every age. From co-ed dorms to private en-suites - and all this for a very reasonable rate.
You will even be picked up from the ferry or bus terminal, when you arrive.
The kitchen is very well equipped, and an open cupboard with lots of baskets for everyone to store their dry food, is not only practical, it also looks pretty.
The rooms are just renovated, and most of them have beautiful wall decorations.
The garden has a red gazebo, a huge barbeque, a fireplace and you can camp there as well.
The house itself is a georgeous blue old heritage building, located in the cow district, close to the harbour, and it´s just a 2 minute walk to town and the next grocery store.
Another good thing are the 2 acoustic and 1 electric guitar in the common room :-)
I highly reccommend this hostel, for it will turn your opinion of a common hostel (as you might know it) completely upside down!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Pioneer_hostel, Owner at Pioneer Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your post Sandra - we loved having you here in Prince Rupert!

Please note that we do offer a free one-way shuttle from the VIA RAIL, BC FERRY and ALASKA FERRY between 9:00 AM and 10:30 PM during the summer season. The bus is only a 10 minute walk, so we do not offer the shuttle service. Cheers!
Owner/Manager
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I was well impressed by the place; it's an old house nicely renovated and it's clean. I liked the idea of being also a student house, you meet more people.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I arrived late at night with the ferry and was very happy to be able to use the free pick-up service the hostel offers. I booked a private room for single occupancy, the room had a Houston bunk bed (double on bottom, single on the top), which was a bit strange and besides that was it very small, I can't imagine how 3 people would ever fit in there at once.
I can understand that the owners want to keep the genuine character of the building, but to me, it seemed that some refurbishing would be in place.
It was also quite disturbing to have a dog running in the hallway when you try to go to the bathroom to have a shower, and that wasn't even on the ground floor, it was on the second floor, where you only had rooms.
The day of the check-out I was reminded of the check-out time, an hour beforehand, when I wanted to have a relaxed breakfast...
Overall I had quite a pleasant stay in Prince Rupert, but all these small things made this place to score only average.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Pioneer_hostel, Owner at Pioneer Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Hi there!
Thankyou so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. I really strive to take all suggestions into account to improve the facilities. I do have a dog, who lives off site with me, and when I come to work, I often bring Keeta. We are a dog friendly hostel and have a few rooms where we allow dogs. When I am told there is a guest who is uncomfortable with pets, I do try to keep her out of the common areas. I apologize for not checking with you first. She certainly did not need to be on the second floor hallway!

This building is one of Prince Rupert's oldest structures - and we often get comments on how it feels so homey here. This does include some chipped wood trim, and vintage linoleoum flooring. I have painted the hallway and most of the rooms this winter in an effort to maintain and brighten our facilities.
Cheers!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011 via mobile

We have been on the road traveling all through America and Canada for over two months. Oh how we wished the standard of some hostels we stayed in were up to the high standards of this place.

Our private room was more than what I expected. Big clean and comfortable and our own tv. There is a cool common area with a tv and two computers. Laundry available on site and also baskets to put your food stuff in. Then to top it off there was free bread.

We did not feel like at all we were in a hostel more like a quiet chilled out big house. My only small negative I found was the kitchen was a bit too small for more than two people at once cooking. But at least it was clean!

If you are coming to Rupert and are backpacking I'd be surprised if you could find better.

• Stayed September 2011
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

You really couldn't ask for a better hostel. The owners were friendly and super helpful. the rooms clean and cheerful, no bunk beds (hoorah!). Shared bathrooms were plentiful, I never had to wait. Free wifi, computers for those without laptops. Great lounge which was sometimes shared by a beautiful dog. They will even pick you up from the ferry/train for no cost. My one "complaint" would be that they need a non stick fry pan in the otherwise well stocked kitchen.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Pioneer Backpackers Inn? Share your experiences!