“A nice place to to go for a evening out:)” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #70 of 183 restaurants in Prince George
British Columbia
“A nice place to to go for a evening out:)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Leprechaun's Urine sample is a great drink, and worth a try, despite it's name!! The broccoli cheddar bacon soup was very good! The stuffed mushrooms were very tasty, but needed a bit of something to soak up the rest of the stuffing mmm... The bread came at a premium price, not what the waitress had told us :( The crab legs were tasty and not over done, and the Celtic chicken was sooo good and not overcooked! The twice baked potato was very salty with the gravy on it. The service was better at times and then a little slow again, and then better. It was busy for a weeknight!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

42% Recommend
BC Canada
“Yikes!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just wasn't for us. Kind of smelled in there and way overpriced :( The server we had was very nice though. She was the only reason we didn't walk out right away we stayed for a drink and 'pachos' to be respectful.

Visited April 2013
Prince George
“Seems to be slipping downhill.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Our large extended family used to celebrate a lot of family birthdays here(free meal for the birthday person) but unfortunately the service has declined to the point where we have stopped going altogether:(

Visited August 2012
Prince George, Canada
“McCracken rolls and birthdays”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Great place to go for a birthday dinner. If you go with a friend who has an entree, your birthday entree is on the house. The McCracken rolls are fabulous (crab and cream cheese are two of the ingredients). Men in kilts....need I say more?

Visited October 2012
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Foresight. It’s not just a river in Belgium. If I had known earlier that I was going to get my oil changed this week, I would have held back Nancy O’s or Amigos. Now I’m stuck in a region of the city I’ve been to every week for the past four month. Luckily, there’s still Kelly O’ Bryan’s nearby.

I know I’ve mentioned I wouldn’t do franchises, citing Earls and Moxis. That said, Kelly O’s hardly classifies as one. Five locations in BC (with two in Kelowna) hardly constitutes a sizeable market share. Like Amigos, it’s difficult to find fault with such an established and successful restaurant. I criticized Hummus Brothers Tapas Bar for neither being properly European nor even a tapas bar. Does Kelly O’Bryan’s feel Irish? Well, it tries. The décor fits—including the requisite suit of armor at the entrance. Everything is green or burgundy; modernized folk songs play overhead…constantly. Even the menus are presented in a faux Irish font (if it’s an authentic Irish font, then I’m also Irish). I’ll admit having to use the complimentary internet to research Irish food, because seriously…what do you know about it?

We can make some educated assumptions. Like their neighbors—part of the Commonwealth and not—you can assume grain and barley, mutton and seafood. The signature dishes of Scotland and England occasionally pop up. Knowing that, you’ll be hard pressed to see anything traditionally Irish here. Some may HAVE Irish names, like McCracken rolls and Dublin steak, but these may be just placeholders to add regional color. Spot the humor with Dublin steak taking pride in its use of Canadian beef—I know I’m in Canada; I’m just making a point. If I see pachos in an Irish pub when I head to Britain in May, I’ll publicly apologize.

Despite clichés and misguided expectations, there’s nothing to hate about Kelly O’Bryan’s. The food is great and the environment reflects the pleasant if formulaic theme. I order pachos to begin, a staple and signature appetizer. The appies appear expensive, starting at $9.49, compared to most others from competition that average around $8. You do get a massive plate of food though. I’m going to poop a waiter by the end of this meal. The waitress suggests the bacon/chicken club, upgrading the soup to an Irish onion (which still tastes like a French onion). I’m still polishing off the waffle-shaped fries when the main arrives.

Kelly O’Bryan’s does its best to present itself as a neighborhood restaurant, even claiming that on the sign. Free meals on birthdays help to convey that image. If I can pick faults, I would say the club sandwich is a little bland and I believe my waitress is actually a robot.

I will add in full disclosure that I don’t drink. If I did, my opinion on the authenticity of Kelly O’Bryan’s would no longer be in question (Irish ales, lagers, and a full stock of Guinness). I promise to return to obscure hole-in-the-wall restaurants again soon. Like with Amigos, I’m not saying anything anyone reading this doesn’t already know. Kelly O’Bryan’s has been here for a long time and will continue to be for much longer. It’s not a pub despite some accusations. It’s not as loud and there are only two TVs in the entire establishment. Thank god, since I really don’t want to include pubs in this blog. I don’t hate them; it’s just this town drinks more than the whole of Australia, and pubs are like Starbucks here. Notice how I said Starbucks, not Tim Hortons, cause that would be insane. A western Canadian town is built upon the foundations of its Tim Hortons.

Food: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Presentation: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Recommendation: 4/5
If you read this far without checking, hats off. There is no river in Belgium called Foresight…

• Visited October 2011