“Fast and Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Vancouver, Canada
“Fast and Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Looking for a good selection of Japanese food I tried Sushi Star in PG. Glad I did. Very attentive and friendly service. The sashimi appetizer, gyoza and spicy tuna roll were tasty. The miso soup was very tasty and large.

Fort St. John, Canada
“Didn't bring us all our food ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The food was great! Amazing selection of sushi and other menu items, especially for an all you can eat.
The last time we went though we only received half our order

Vancouver
“Average service and average sushi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I am not a resident of PG so have no idea how this compares to other sushi restaurants in town. As I often find when I eat sushi in smaller urban areas, the restaurants smell of oil, and this was the case here as well. Not pleasant when you leave the restaurNt and your clothes smell like a deep fryer. I probably should have known, given it's "all you can eat" banner, which usually means the quality suffers. I ordered chirashi, and I have to say I'm not a fan of polluck being included. Other advise would be to leave the curly carrots, and lettuce leaves out of my chirashi. It should be all about the sashimi and the sushi rice with chirashi, and I really don't like having to pick through my rice to remove the added veggies. Service was average. No one asked to refill my green tea. Also, they might want to repair some of the seats, as some of them have significant holes in them. I gave this an average rating as I wasn't expecting too much, and they delivered on that.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome - Third visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Repeating past reviews, Sushi Star is still a hell of a deal—all you can eat sushi for $14.95 at lunch, $16.95 on Saturdays. But is it still good? I’ve heard complaints of their quality, but my first visit didn’t reflect that.

Unfortunately, my most recent visit scratched the veneer off the cheap paneling of a once good restaurant. Something has happened here, and I don’t like it. The closer you sit at the bar, the more pervasive the fried smell is. I was eight feet away, and it was almost distracting to the point of coughing. The water has a funny taste...and that’s not funny comedic but funny in that possible ignitable sort of way. Japanese restaurants have two different echelons—the prestigious ones with expert knives and customers in business suits, and the rest with colored plates, buffets, and plastic-coated menus. Despite popular assumptions, Sushi Star and Wasabi are in the same class. One cannot turn its nose to the other. Wasabi’s problem is that its rice is bad and its portions are cut too large, two things with sushi one cannot get wrong. Sushi Star’s problem is that it teeters dangerously close to being the Japanese equivalent of a maligned Chinese buffet. And yes, that’s bad. The rice is passable and the fish is cut to workable proportions, but it’s also done quick and lazy. The rice is not packed well enough and the rolls are often misshapen. But I can at least work my mouth around them, and they’re not disgusting.

This all reads as middling praise, and you’d be correct. The service is the same, bordering between competence and complete ignorance. It has fallen a few steps from its previously lofty perch, most certainly. I said last year that the standard for comparing a sushi restaurant is at The Real Canadian Superstore. Basically, any sushi place would have to have sushi better or more reasonably priced than that offered at the Superstore sushi bar. And this may come as a surprise, but that’s a difficult perch to reach. That being said, the Superstore sushi bar changed hands recently so its quality might have fallen as well.

The point is that Sushi Star has most certainly let its quality slide somewhat since last I was here. And this is most assuredly due to the speed of which they must service their colossal customer base. By noon, this sizable restaurant was slamming with people. But would I recommend it as glowingly as my last visit?

I would definitely select a table as far from the bar as possible. Also, you do have to wave down the staff. After you get your initial serving, they basically ignore you, hoping perhaps you’ll get the hint and finish your meal. Obviously the less you eat, the more money they make with the buffet. And for the love of Superman, stay away from the weird rolls. You know the ones, yam-yams a deep-fried California. They sound disgusting and they are. Yes, alas, Sushi Star has fallen off its top rung. What scares me the most is that the other places might have fallen right along with it. It could remain the best sushi restaurant in town, a sad fate indeed if awarded. Let me make this clear that Wasabi is NOT better than Sushi Star, not in the quality of its sushi. I don’t care how good their noodles are. A Japanese restaurant boasting sushi front and center on their menu is obligated to get that right, and if they don’t, I’ll call them out on it. So far, Sushi Star remains the bests, but I hope to god that changes.

Food: 3/5

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fort St. John, Canada
“Excellent selection for All You Can Eat menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

After growing up in Richmond and frequenting all you can eat sushi places, at the absolute least, once a week, I did not have high expectations for an ayce sushi restaurant in PG.

I was pleasantly surprised

Service was excellent for an All You Can Eat restaurant. Good presence, quick drink serving / dish clearing / food service, and friendly waitresses. ***Note - service not being judged by how much cleavage and leg the server shoes, or how well they feign interest in you for tips***

Selection was much better than expected. Portions were smaller than regular fare, and the rice content of nigiri sushi was slightly higher than normal, but not obtrusively so (especially considering there was also Sashimi present on the list). Everything was fresh, nicely prepared, and quick.

This restaurant will be a regular visit for my monthly trips to PG.

• Visited January 2014