“tasteless food” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Prince George, Canada
“tasteless food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I order delivery, chicken chow mein was bland, the honey garlic pork was oily and very thin slice for the price, chop suey was bland. I would never order from them again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome - Second Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Has anyone noticed fortune cookies have stopped the practice of revealing your destiny in favor of being just oddly instructive?

“Finish what you started.” Ummm...okay...so I guess that means I better finish this review. Or maybe it just refers to the cookie…either way that fortune is somewhat of a softball.

My past experiences with So Good have been mixed, with one bad episode Oreo’d between a pair of pleasant ones. It wasn’t a good start to this day, marred by my own mistake of forgetting my wallet, discovering the fact two feet from the restaurant’s doors. So Good remains one of the better looking Japanese restaurants, disregarding its outer shell when it used to be a McDonalds. It manages to blend its Chinese and Japanese styles into something you’d expect to be confusing but isn’t. In defense of previous praise, I’ve only ordered sushi from So Good, having never attempted its Chinese.

And it still has its sushi bar, a fact I admired at a distance from my table. So Good is also one of the few places in town openly serving sushi in novelty boats. Seriously, if you want to host a large-scale party in a Japanese restaurant, So Good would be your best, if probably only, choice. I mean, come on…boats. I ordered the combo C, listed at a modest $15.95, and with that you get eleven pieces, eleven tiny pieces. I know, I’ve been ranting about how annoyed I’ve been at the oversized cuts of fish at places like Tokyo and Wasabi. So Good apparently moved in the opposite direction. So am I going to complain? Is So Good doing this to make a point? Am I wrong to want smaller cuts? Are we alone in the universe? When cows laugh, does milk come out of there noise? Some mysteries remain unsolved, but not all. Smaller cuts are better. I would rather have more pieces and enjoy a variety than attempt to unhinge my jaw attempting to swallow an oversized salmon nigiri. The maki were a good size, and the variety of nigiri was admirable, although in truth, the avocado was cheap alternative to tuna. The dynamite roll was incredible. I ended up ordering an additional cone for good measure, and it ended up being one of the best cones I’ve ever had. Some chefs just cram rice and then top it like a Nestle drumstick…a cold, delicious, and crunchy Nestle… I hate my diet.

Yes, the pieces were small, and the value was dubious compared to others in town, but unlike the others, I actually enjoyed my meal. I was tempted to ask the chef over and compliment them on their quality. I would even hasten to say that So Good might have gotten actually better since last time I was here. Was this luck? I’m going to have to review this place yet again to make sure this was not an anomaly. I means it’s not perfect. For some bizarre reason, the booth seats are not connected to their back and neither are connected to the wall, so on more than one occasion, I thought I was to tumble out of my chair.

As I was enjoying my meal, I found another surprise, a Chinese special on a card sitting by my table…and it was IN Chinese. Beef brisket hot pot and lamb hot pot. Dare I fear my assumptions of the Chinese food was wrong as well? Will I have to return and attempt that as well? What the hell is going on here? I should be hating this place. It looks like the So Good just got into the lead as the best Sushi place in town.

Last point, my meal concluded with that aforementioned and oddly oppressive fortune cookie. Now, some of you may expect me to snicker about its presence, except that in truth, it totally fits. The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 challenged the assumption that the fortune cookie was a Chinese invention when it was in fact American. He is wrong…he is also fictional, so I’ll just blame Shane Black, the writer. In fact, it’s Japanese, invented by immigrants after World War II. You could still accuse it of being technically American, but let’s just accept that its placement at the end of a Sushi meal in a Canadian restaurant is totally fitting. And now you know

…because knowledge is power.

For the first time reviewing Japanese restaurants, I’m increasing my score.
Service was rocket fast, the price may be a bit higher than usual, but folks, it’s worth it.
Food: 4/5

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kitimat
“Sogood food and price, no problems with allergies.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I read the review from the perosn with the garlic/ginger allergy. I understand where you are coming from 100%, as I have a seafood allergy and my son has a peanut allergy. Maybe it's because we were at the actual restaurant and made sure they understood are food issues. It's unfortunate that person's medical concerns were not addressed.
Fortunately for us, they were (someone in our group ordered sushi and I was fine). The food ws great, my only regret was that are hotel room didn't have a fridge and I couldn't have the leftovers for desert.
I would go there again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
POWELL RIVER
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Not impressed at all the Japanese food seemed to be good but the Chinese food was sub par sweet and sour was grisly, chow mein was bland, the fried rice uninspired. I've had much better

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kelowna, Canada
“Good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stopped for a bite at Sogood. Very good Canadian Chinese food. Every dish was good and we could even find chicken in the chicken balls. Price was average. Safe place to order to fill the stomach.

Visited July 2013