“Want to stay on the set of "Three's Company"?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Inn of the North

You added Coast Inn of the North to your Saves list
Coast Inn of the North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   770 Brunswick Street, Prince George, British Columbia V2L 2C2, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Prince George
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Want to stay on the set of "Three's Company"?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

If you ever wanted to stay in a room that is indentical to the Roper's abode from "Three's Company", you've found your place. Holes in curtains, crusty carpet and sheets, thin walls, and decor that looks to be from the early to mid 1970's. Priced too high for what you get. Location is right downtown which has its pro's and con's. There are a few newer hotels on the way into town from the airport by the casino that give the traveller more options. When I called down to ask about the fitness center, the front desk suggested a few machines were under repair and that I would be better off buying a pass to golds.... which I did....extra 5 bucks but ok by me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

The lobby does look nice, but room we stayed in was dingy and smelled of B.O. Others in our group had same complaints. Someone was smoking on our floor and the hotel's solution was to send a cleaner with a febreeze bottle into the hallway, making it smell worse. Didn't help that one of the elevators broke down while we were there. The fitness room was pretty dismal but the pool was quite nice and there was a jacuzzi and sauna as well. People complain about downtown PG, but it was fine. I'm a female traveller and I wasn't uncomfortable walking around the admittedly deserted streets. Best part of this hotel is it's walking distance to the Twisted Cork - an amazing independent restaurant with microbrewery beers, a fantastic reasonably priced menu and a quality pub, cozy atmosphere. I'd go back to this hotel just to be close to this restaurant. But they can close early on quiet nights so call ahead.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Victoria, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Hotel stands tall above all others in town-physically. Looked like the nicest hotel from the outside, and location is perfect-close to bus stop, library, shopping, and restaurants. The lobby is gorgeous, and the hotel looks lustrous at check-in. But the low rate was reflected in the drab room. The decor was outdated, and window was small, room was dim. Bathroom was compact as well. I stayed for 3 nights, and used the indoor pool/hot tub each day-all to myself. Tried the tanning salon in the lower level, it did not appear dirty, but just lacked a confidence inspiring appearance. The restaurant in the lobby level "coffee garden" was excellent. I ate there 3 times, and the food tasted original and fresh, service was friendly. The front desk staff was mostly good, though there was one lady who was unfriendly. The cleaning staff was always friendly, but there was a tray of room service left in my hallway on the floor for what seemed like a day and a half. The sound insulation was below average, I could hear other guests across the hall, albeit they were singing. Overall, the value at this hotel was good, and I will probably return due to the excellent location. I will ask if they have any updated rooms though.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
British Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

My room was clean and comfortable, however the food at thehotel is not very good. We ate at the Japanese restaurant one day, and the hot food was slightly warm. As well the dinner at the other restaurant was only so so. I recomend going to the White Spot across the street to dine or somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip to Prince George. The hotel lobby is very attractive and the reception staff was friendly. I stayed in room 409 and was disappointed by how worn and tired the room looked. The furniture was badly scuffed and the bedspreads were outdated. The handles on the window blinds were broken, but they could still be pulled closed. The bathroom was not cleaned to my expectations and there were hair follicles on the bathtub floor and shower wall. The free coffee was not replaced in the room when housekeeping clean the first day. The heat only turned on when I cranked the dial up to 25 C (77 F), even though the thermostat measured less than 20 C (68 F).

Two positive comments I can provide on the Coast Inn is that my room was very quiet and WiFi internet was free. I paid CAD 103.00/night and expected more for the price during this time of year. I am told that this hotel has more expensive updated rooms. I would consider alternative hotels in PG, but the options are limited. I witnessed several homeless people panhandling near the Ramada Inn. These people are scaring tourists away from downtown businesses. I was also told that the Ramada is mediocre. My shuttle driver said that the Four Points by Sheraton is a nicer hotel with good reviews. If I were to stay in PG again, I would pay extra money at the Four Points.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

We took the train from Jasper to Prince Rupert and needed an overnight hotel in Prince George. Prince George isn't an attractive town so we were pleased to find the Coast Inn of the North is more than up to the job. The hotel is nicer than a Ramada (whew!), but positioned below Four Points. It was very clean, had more amenities than it was luxurious and a comfortable bed. It is a 7 minute walk to the train station. Saying "it's fine for one night" suggests something can be endured, but not enjoyed. This hotel is distinctly better than that and we were glad we chose it for our one night in Prince George. BTW, it is about the same distance from the train station as the Ramada and an order of magnitude nicer than the Ramada.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

This was my first stay at a Coast property and I was very pleased with the experience. The Front Desk staff were polite and professionally dressed.

I booked a Coast Comfort room which is fairly simple and has standard amenities. I was pleasantly surprised however to find robes left in the room for guest use. This is not something I expected in a standard room and I was very happy as I enjoy using these on my trips.

The parking was very convenient and allowed you to bypass the lobby and go straight to your room. The hotel is centrally located and is in a quiet part of town. There is a nice Japanese restaurant on site and I enjoyed the pool which was virtually deserted so I enjoyed it as well as the hot tub all to myself!

I would definitely stay here again. I look forward to trying out other Coast properties.

• Liked — Good location, nice views of Prince George
  • Disliked — They still use old room keys, not key cards!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Coast Inn of the North? Share your experiences!