“Like at home!” 5 of 5 stars

464 Ellis St., Penticton, British Columbia V2A 4M2, Canada   |
Zurich, Switzerland
“Like at home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Two friends and me stayed here for 3 nights and we found it to be a great place. The common room is spacious and the kitchen is well equipped but maybe a bit tiny. The whole hostel was always clean and staff was very friendly. The rooms are not so spacious but do look really nice and the beds are comfortable. he location is perfect - everything is in walking distance! I would stay there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Go for room G. Clean, quaint, comfortable bed! We drive in at midnight and our keys were waiting for us. There was free parking on the street and I felt that the area was safe and quiet. In the morning we were able to stroll to downtown easily to get coffee. Great value for our money too, I think it was one of the cheaper hostels in the area. I would come back for sure!!

• Stayed July 2012
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at this hostel and found it to be a nuthouse. Most of the guests were homeless men of all ages and one of them was sexually harrassing me and another tried to get me drunk and kept passing around a bottle of whiskey.They sounded like very rough characters. One old guy showed up late at night and looked really shabby, and he was missing half of his teeth. One time I was in the ladies washroom and one of the guys was standing in the male washroom just across from the ladies washroom. The lights were out in his washroom and he was watching me. I closed the door and locked it. Another guy looked like a zombie and did not move his arms when he walked. He kept tramping dirt into the hostel and left the kitchen filthy. Ditto for some of those other guys. I couldn't stand to use the kitchen, it reeked too. I either ate in my room or went out. The staff did not care less and one of them told me not to complain, to put up with it and if I didn't like it I could leave. I did not feel safe there and there is no staff member there between 10pm and 8am and then no one there from 12noon to 5pm.

After I left I ended up staying in a hotel for a couple of nights just to recuperate, it was such a horrid experience at that hostel. And the hotel ended up costing me more money anyway. But it was worth it.

Room Tip: Unless you like living in the twililght zone, avoid this place.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

This Hostel is nicely located on quiet Ellis Street. Just around the corner you find Main Street.
There was no complimentary breakfast. The Hostel has a big kitchen though. In the back exits the possibility to park your car. I stayed in a 6-bed-room. The interior of the room seems to have seen better days but it was okay.
The common room was nicely decorated and cosy.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Penticton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the HI in Penticton.
I have to mention we booked a dorm room as a private. If you're more than 2people it's really worth it! The room was big enough and nicely decorated.
We had 2 nice and quiet nights in the HI Penticton, though it was a little cold. They have a big kitchen and common area that is well equipped.
The staff is friendly and the washrooms are allright. Though there was one that was very small.
The hostel is close to the city centre and what we found really nice is that there's a board on which you can find recommendations of the staff as far as restaurants and cafesare concerned.

Room Tip: book a private room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Banff, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night and there were some rough looking characters staying there. Staff told us that one guy has been living there for 4 months. He looked like he just got out of jail. We think he was following us because he kept showing up suddenly whenever we went to use the bathroom or when we went into the kitchen. We couldn't stand using the kitchen. The staff was not honest with us. They should have told us these kind of people were living there. Hostelling International has certain standards and people are not supposed to be living there, especially people that make others feel unsafe. They were happy to take our money though. Hostel was otherwise clean but cold. They could have turned up the heat. The impression we first got of it is that is a rooming house for derelicts. We left with that impression too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Sechelt, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I stayed at this hostel for one night while travelling with my husband and 4 year old daughter. They made us feel very welcome. When we mad our reservation they told us that the family room was already booked but that the 3 of us could have a room designed for 4 people to ourselves. The room was perfect.

And though we were the only family (with young children) that we saw we were made to feel very welcome. There was a wide variety of travelers: of all ages, singles, couples, local and international travelers.

This is a renovated heritage home. Which means (similiar to other hostels which are renovated historic buildings) that all the rooms are different and can vary greatly in shape and design. It looked to me as all the "bunkrooms" had 2 bunks in them.

The bedrooms and common areas were clean. Lots of information about local attractions were available. I liked the location - it was walking distance to the beach but in a quiet are of penticton. The hostel itself was very quiet at night. Penticton is hot in the summer and though we were told there was air conditioning it didn't seem to kick on until about 3am.

There is limited free parking available. But we lucked out as the meter parking out front wasn't in effect during the evening nor on Sundays and were staying on a Saturday night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hostelling International - Penticton? Share your experiences!