I was pleasantly surprised to see the Lakeside Resort situated completely in the heart of the city of Penticton and the vibrant life of the community, while perched on the southern edge of Lake Okanagan. Everything was within walking distance and mostly right on the doorstep...Lake, beach, marina, Saturday Farmer's Market across the street, walking paths in all directtions instantly accessible, shopping for art, clothing, food and everything in between...on the doorstep. Japanese Garden, Rose Garden, museum and Public Art Gallery only steps away...and the list goes on and on (more lake, picnic facilities, boat rentals...).
The hotel was pleasant, facilities were good and restaurants were excellent...The Hooded Meerganser restaurant sitting completely in the water with patio seating over the water, with lovely views in all directions.
Of course, among the main attractions were the wineries (about 140 at their last count) which were minutes away by car. The Naramata Bench wineries were so enticing I felt like I would like to live up there, with the view, the ambiance and the fabulous wines at each tasting room. So very inviting! Some wineries served food, sold a multitude of goods (one even selling very hot, designer shoes.) Lots of artwork, glass art and sculptures were available along with jams, jellies, balsamic vinegars and dressings, and other snacky things.
And did I mention the art? What a vibrant art community Penticton turned out to be. So many visual artists creating exciting encaustic, acrylic, watercolour, and mixed media art as well as pottery. The gift shop at the Lakeside promoted local artists and artisans.
Back at the hotel, the conference facilities were great with attractive meeting rooms and, wonderful food served at the large functions...rarely seen in large facilities like that! All events flowed smoothly and the hot food was hot and the white wine was cold! Desserts were to die-for! Perfect. After 3 meals at the Meerganser (1 breakfast, lunch and a dinner), I would declare it a gourmet restaurant. Oh, and part of the qualification of gourmet restaurant is that the food is spiced with herbs from their own herb garden, right between the hotel and the water. I personally watched a sous chef picking a variety of herbs (just below my room) to flavour the food for the restaurant that evening...fresh from the garden!
My five days at the Lakeside Resort will translate into another trip as soon as it becomes financially feasible. One of my favourite parts of the hotel is that it is very pet friendly. There were well-behaved dogs everywhere, in the lobby, on the well-marked trails in front of the hotel, and, obviously in the hallway of the pet-accessible second floor. Treats were provided, much to Keeta's delight!
Penticton Lakeside Resort here we come again...very soon. Penticton, I love you!
- Also Known As:
- Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre Hotel Penticton
- Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre Hotel
- Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre And Casino
- Penticton Lakeside Hotel Convention Centre
- Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Penticton Lakeside Resort is a full service hotel in Penticton that offers luxurious amenities, clean, spacious rooms, and a spectacular view of Okanagan Lake. We offer a number of dining options, nearby attractions, and room accommodations to ensure that you can thoroughly enjoy your stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Venere and Otel so you can book your Penticton Lakeside Resort Convention Centre & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.