“Good service, mediocre room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Penticton

Save Saved
You added Sandman Hotel Penticton to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Penticton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 Burnaby Avenue West, Penticton, British Columbia V2A 1G7, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Penticton
Victoria
“Good service, mediocre room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Staff was great. Check-in, check out was a breeze. The room was clean but very dated. The air conditioner was noisy and the room seemed cramped. The layout of the building meant a long walk from the parking lot to my room. For the price I expected more. Next time I think I'll look at what the other similarly priced hotels are like. Not a bad stay, just not what I was expecting from a Sandman.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for your review. Pleased you found the staff great and room clean. We are always in the process of updating our product to better suit our guests needs. Great feedback, we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Abbotsford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Wow! This place was so old and dungeon-like that our kids actually stayed awake throughout the night! We were in a room around the back of the hotel, people hanging over the balconies smoking away, sketchy crowd for sure. You walk up the stairs to your floor and it feels like the stairway will give way at any moment. Garbage everywhere on the ground, trash cans not emptied, poor internet connection, like a room you would see back in the 70's. Our kids begged to stay in our SUV instead of sleeping there!
Would not recommend to anyone who is used to staying in decent hotels. It does appear to be one of the better ones in this town! Some of the inns looked like sheds. If you can do without stopping on your drive through, I would recommend it.

The only thing good about this place was the front desk service but hey, you can't sleep in the front lobby, can you? lol

Room Tip: Don't take a room at the back of the hotel-no lighting back there, brutal parking so if you have...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the Front Desk team, I am sorry to hear we fell short in all the other areas as listed in your very colorful review, certainly not our standard or an experience we would want any guest to have.To clarify we do not have any balconies in guest rooms. We value your feedback and great comments which allow us to improve, we hope to see you again.
vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We have just returned from a trip and only spent one night at this hotel, which was enough to be honest. The hotel is situated in a decent place and was walking distance to a lot of amenities which allowed us to walk to the free concert in the park, dinner as well as the casino however the hotel needs help. The walls and rooms are tired and look old and worn. The staff were pleasant but do the bare minimum to get you into the room...no help with bags or parking. The internet don't bother with and really should not be even advertised as included because its horrible and so frustrating to use due to lose of connections. For the price you are paying which was the same we paid elsewhere the rooms and services weren't even comparable! Look around before you settle thinking you are getting the regular Sandman services and standards.... you are not!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed the location and found the staff pleasant. We are always more than happy to assist our guests with their luggage, however as a 3.5 star property we do not provide a bell hop or valet parking service. I am sorry to hear we fell short in other areas. We value your feedback and hope to see you again.
Prince George, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I've stayed at a number of Sandman properties. Generally, I find the rooms to be small, too congested with furniture and floor configurations that are operationally easier to service than convenient for customers. However, the rooms are usually clean and front-desk staff very eager and friendly. By these measures, this property was no exception.

After checking-in and dropping luggage in our room we went to the hotel bar/lounge for a drink and an appie. Upon entering we we're struck by the feeling that we'd interrupted a private but animated conversation. It was several minutes before we were acknowledged and when we were, the server's blasé attitude immediately became the subject of our conversation.

I'll save most of the details for the letter I'm writing to the Sandman as I've found their commitment to customer service to be an honest one. This time though, it was a flat experience. Our server appeared more interested in sharing his upcoming holiday plans than in providing service. After taking our food order - which he messed up - he enthusiastically told jokes to his audience of two using his "pakistani voice". At that point, tired of waiting for him to notice that our glasses were empty, my wife left disgusted at the juvenile approach to serving.

I could write-off the evening had it not been for our parting exchange in which he complained that he didn't make enough in tips. Immediately, upon exit from the lounge and presented front-desk staff with a laundry-list of issues. They were most accommodating and eager to assist me in communicating with management.

Room Tip: Ask about the wi-fi in the rooms. Wi-fi is unbearably slow!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear the Front Desk staff was eager and friendly and you found a consistent trend in the Sandman. I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience in Bar One. Certainly not the standard and my sincerest apologies. I will be addressing your comments with the Manager of Bar One, however I would like the opportunity to address this first hand. If you would kindly contact me on the number listed below.
gm_penticton@sandman.ca
250.493.7151
Graeme Jenkins
SURREY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Once again, I had the pleasure of staying at the Sandman Penticton Hotel and was greeted by a very professional, helpful and courteous Front Desk Clerk - Justin. His friendly greeting and quick check in made the beginning of our stay at the Sandman pleasurable and rewarding. The Penticton Sandman Hotel is ALWAYS the perfect stay from the clean, comfortable rooms, to the inviting indoor pool and close proximity to everything fun and recreational Penticton has to offer. I look forward to our next stay and hope we are greeted by the same Front Desk Clerk again; Justin. 100% recommend the Sandman Penticton !

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for your review Cindy 54321. It sounds like we hit the mark! We pride ourselves on a great experience for all our guests and given your terrific comments Justin did just that. I will certainly be passing this on to him, from all of us at the Sandman Hotel Penticton we thank you and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Vancouver Island, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Descent facilities, my room was fairly clean although a member of our group had to change rooms do to lack of cleanliness. Biggest gripe was the absolutely snail paced internet connectivity. Required it for our work, it was well below standard. Will be avoiding Sandman Pentiction in the future.

Stayed July 2014
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for your review. My apologies for your disappointing experience. We understand the importance of a strong internet connection and strive to provide the best to all our guests. We run the top tier Business 100 connection from our internet provider to ensure the connection is strong and issue free. I would like to follow up on this first hand to pinpoint the shortfall. If you would kindly contact me it would allow me to better address with our provider specifics of date and time of the poor connection. I look forward to hearing from you and we hope to see you again.
gm_penticton@sandman.ca
250.493.7151
Graeme Jenkins
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had a group booking for 6 nights at the Sandman for the BC Performing Arts Festival. We were travelling with 7 teenage girls! The hotel staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating throughout our whole stay. Weather it be lost keys, chips stuck in the vending machine or dinner recommendations, the front desk staff were great. The housekeeping staff in our wing were fantastic. With 7 ballerinas getting ready for competition every day, those bathrooms were well used! Our rooms all had sliding doors that opened out onto the pool, which was lots of fun! I would think that if you don't have kids, or would like a quieter stay that you ask to me moved away from the pool. There is tons of parking and the hotel is in a great location.

Room Tip: There is a central courtyard/atrium area where the pool is. If you want a quieter room I would ask t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. It sounds like we hit the mark and you really enjoyed your stay! We had a great time hosting the BC Performing Arts Festival and look forward to seeing you all again. Thank you for your positive comments; I will certainly be passing these on to the team.
Kind regards

Been to Sandman Hotel Penticton? Share your experiences!