“No credibility - Terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Penticton

You added Sandman Hotel Penticton to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Penticton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 Burnaby Avenue West, Penticton, British Columbia V2A 1G7, Canada   |
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Penticton
alberta
“No credibility - Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Sandman Hotel - Penticton, B.C.

I booked a room with a queen bed and a single bed and paid good price for it a few months before our trip. When we checked in, we were told that all the rooms with a queen and a single bed had been gone. I asked them why they approved my online booking then, they said nothing and did nothing and we were made to stay in a room with two double beds. Luckily, it was just one night.

Avoid, avoid, and again avoid this hotel.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We stayed at the Sandman while in Penticton for Ironman Canada. The minimum stay is 5 nights during Ironman week which is a little longer than we initially planned on staying. The rate was $159.00 a night.

We checked in and were given a room that reeked of smoke. This was a non-smoking room. We called the front desk to request another room and were assigned to one on another floor. The second room was much cleaner than the first. The carpets in the hotel are pretty dirty along with the furniture in the rooms.

All in all, this isn't the nicest place we've stayed and the facility could use a complete makeover. No wireless internet in the rooms either.

• Liked — Nice lobby.
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

This hotel was a joke. The rooms were dirty. We couldn't even use a 2 blow dryers in the same room cause it blew a fuse every time. When we asked for more towels we were told we were "using too many" even though there was 8 girls in total, and they gave us 6 towels. What are we supposed to do, share them? The staff was rude and grouchy. After paying $175 a night for such a low end hotel, needless to say i will never be back, nor would i recommend this hotel to ANY of my friends. The rest of the girls on this trip were just as displeased as me with the quality and service of this place. In addition, when i came home, i found out that they had pre-authorized $700 on my visa, instead of the $300 i was told. What kind of service is that when you don't even tell the customer you'll be doing that.?? All in al, not impressed.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Bad service, grouchy staff, dirty, inconvenient,
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SANDMANPENTICTON, Director of Operations at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, August 21, 2008
Thank you for choosing The Sandman Hotel Penticton for your accommodation needs.

I regret to learn of your unpleasant experience during your stay with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced.

I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss these issues.

Thank you for including us in your travel plans and we hope that we will have an opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future, We look forward in seeing you again in the future.

You may reach me directly at gm_penticton@sandman.ca

Regards,

Cameron Sutton | Director of Operations
SANDMAN HOTEL PENTICTON
939 Burnaby Ave W| Penticton BC | V2A 1G7
QuebecCity
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

I have been to a couple of Sandman Hotels lately. Generally, I have been satisfied. BUt this time, this hotel, I don't recommand it at all. The lobby is very nice, and that's all there is worth seeing.

The hallways carpets are old, dirty and smelly. Most of the ice machine did not work.

The rooms are very tight and small for the price. I have stayed in much nicer and better maintained hotel in large canadian cities for the same price. Again, in the room, the carpet says a lot to me.

Overall, I'm very disappointed.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — The overall maintenance of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gilroy, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

This was the only hotel available and now I know why.
The lobby was very decieving...
The hallways smelled bad.
The elevator felt that it was going to drop.
The niose at night was unbearable.
The rooms were very tiny.
The sheets were cheap!
Everything in the bathroom felt like it was purchased at the dollar store.
There is no place for luggage.
We had a blackout and lost power for 1 hour. I was prepared with an emergency flashlight, I went to the front to ask for an ETA and they were not prepared for anything.
Very bad experience, Don't go to the sandman hotel, he's not there and you will get no sleep either.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

I've stayed in three Penticton hotels in the last three years. This one is comparable to the others, except that the location is about 4-6 blocks from the beach and the cost was the same as we've paid across from the beach.

Stayed for four nights in a one bedroom suite. Problem was that I've stayed in the REALLY BIG suites they have in their Surrey location. This wasn't nearly as nice or as big, and we felt pretty cramped (two adults a baby and a three year old). It looked like they cut off part of the next door storage room and made it big enough to hold a queen bed and put a small kitchen and a pull out sofa where the (small) standard room would've had two queen bed.

Also, the hotel was clearly renovated, but they appeared to have just done a surface job. Given the rack rate ($239!) (I paid less!) I would've expected a lot more for what I got.

Would I recommend this? Not if you want to be close to the beach....book early and stay at a motel on Lakeshore Avenue. If that wasn't an issue, they would have to give me a really good rate to convince me to stay there again. For the money I think I could've got a nicer unit at the Best Western or another national/international chain.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2006

Traveling with a tour group of 4 motor coaches. YMT made all of our hotel reservations and I must say that this was the worse of all. By the way this hotel only has one washer and dryer for the entire place. We got a tiny room with one queen bed that you could touch the walls on either side from the bed. There was an ironing board set up just an soon as you walked in the door that we couldn't put down because it was broken. Bathroom had a limbo shower and one glass, no soap or shampoo (didn't really need it as I always have my own). We were extremely tired after riding all day and figured it was only for one night so we didn't complain. After reading previous reviews, I see that was a mistake. Looks like we should have. The next morning after talking to others and comparing rooms we found some got suites with kitchens, some got king beds, and others like us got the left over rooms that people had problemly already complained about and got new rooms. My advice check out the room before you accept it. I'm told they do have some very nice rooms, we were just unlucky and didn't do anything about it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Tiny Room
  • Stayed July 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sandman Hotel Penticton? Share your experiences!