“Trip to Red Deer” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel Penticton

Save Saved
You added Sandman Hotel Penticton to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel Penticton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 Burnaby Avenue West, Penticton, British Columbia V2A 1G7, Canada   |
Ranked #21 of 43 hotels in Penticton
Victoria
“Trip to Red Deer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our next stop was Penticton where we had a group booking at the Sandman. Unfortunately not all our rooms were ready when we arrived so we had to wait until 4:30pm to get settled. Several of us had opted to pay a little more and get king rooms, it was well worth the extra 10.00. We had a lovely corner room overlooking the parking lot as requested. Irene Burrell the front office manager was on hand to help us check in, she is a lovely lady and was very pleasant, the other young man on duty however was less than accommodating and annoyed several of the travelers in our group.
The hotel gave us a decent group rate, 5 out of the 6 couples liked their stay at the Sandman. The room we had was clean, bright and modern with a large flat screen TV and a fridge. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Not all rooms had fridges though. The carpets and tiles on the main floor leading to the rooms could use a good cleaning and the elevator needs an overhaul, it was noisy and slow when we were there. The hotel does not provide a continental breakfast but there is a Denny's attached to the hotel as well as a bar that also serves food.

Room Tip: If the hotel is not full at check-in we recommend looking at the room before you take it. Some rooms...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable King Room, it certainly is a favourite amongst our valued guests. We pride ourselves on great customer service and I am glad to hear that our Front Office Manager delivered that message. I am sorry to hear though that not all of our guest service team provided the service you would expect. I have addressed your comments with our management team and want to thank you for taking the time to write this review, in fact there is no better way for us to understand how to exceed our guest expectations. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Positives

Friendly staff, no hassles or issues during check in.
Clean Rooms, very comfy beds.
Elevator worked at a decent speed.
Quiet room.

Location is okay but still several blocks from the lake.

Negatives

The T.V. was a small old tube T.V. It would be nice to see at least a 42" flat screen.
The restaurant "Denny's" was a zoo. I went in to get a sandwich to go late at night when I got back to the hotel. The restaurant was full of drunk idiots, they were understaffed so could not deal with the crowd properly. They should have a security guard working the evenings in the weekend to help keep some order. My sandwich took over 20 minutes and was below Denny's normal standard (the bar is set pretty low to begin with) so I only had a few bites and threw it away.

Overall a good experience and was much better value and a better sleep than the overpriced Ramada I stayed at the night before.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff and clean, comfortable guest rooms that offer great value. We have begun the process of updating all televisions throughout the hotel and look forward to your increased satisfaction during your next stay with us. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend at the end of July. Since I was spending most of my time at the Convention Centre the location was awesome! The desk staff were friendly and helpful. Maybe a little too helpful though. We locked ourselves out of our room one day and they gave us a replacement key, no questions asked, no ID as to who we were nothing. That wasn't too comforting.

The hotel is definitely showing it's age and is need of a facelift but really that doesn't bother me. What did bother me was the standards of cleanliness. Most days it barely looked like our bathroom had been cleaned, there were bugs on the floor and the beds looked like they were made by a four year old. This may be harsh however I feel that for the price we were paying for the room we should have been able to expect more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our terrific location and guest focused customer service, something we pride ourselves on at the Sandman Hotel Penticton. I am sorry to hear that we fell short in other areas of your stay and can assure you that your comments have been addressed with our management team. We hope to see you again in the near future and look forward to exceeding your expectations.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed for a Friday and Saturday night at the end of July 2012, at the Sandman in Pentiction. This was the last chain hotel in Penticton available for this weekend, so we were "forced" to stay here. The location of this hotel is excellent as it is next door to the Pentiction Convention Center where we had attended an event. The Sandman also an indoor pool facility that all of the hotel rooms look out onto (which we thought was kind of weird, because it can be very loud when people are screaming in the pool area) - but we did not use the pool facility, so we cannot comment here. The hotel lobby is nice, but the minute you walk into the hotel hallways, you can definitely tell the age of this hotel. The carpets are stained (showing their age, albeit clean) and the walls have wallpaper from the 80s. Our hotel room was nothing special, small, but clean. However, you could definitely tell the age of the rooms and they are in definite need of some TLC, as is the rest of the hotel. Although the room was kept clean, the old wallpaper, very cheap fixtures in the bathrooms and linens/carpets that were from another decade, certainly did nothing to make us want to stay there again. The beds were comfy but the comforters on the bed where gross and old. If I had a choice, we would definitely stay at the Ramada Penticton (rated #1 for hotels in Penticton on TripAdvisor) - very clean and up to date with spacious rooms and modern bathrooms (you do indeed pay more for this, but worth it). The elevator that goes up to the room floors was very OLD and small and often didn't smell very pleasant. The front desk staff at the Sandman, especially Kevin, were very friendly and willing to help - the service was definitely a plus at this hotel. The Sandman Penticton also has a Denny's onsite which, by the way, was the WORST Denny's we've ever been to (if that is even possible for a Denny's as they are all pretty bad!) and I understand that this has nothing to do with the Sandman itself. Would we stay there again? Only if there were no other hotels available in Penticton. At $150 a night, I would definitely expect better quality and have stayed at hotels that were much better than the Sandman Penticton for this price in the past.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room with no foot traffic, request a third floor (top floor) room farthest away...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and great customer service.We pride ourselves on being a guest focused hotel aiming to exceed all our valued guests expectations. I am sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations in other areas and I have addressed your comments with our management team. We are always in an on-going process of updating our product to meet the needs of our guests and we thank you for your comments, in fact there is no better way for us to understand where we need to improve. I hope to see you again in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I will give some credit because of the location , we stayed overnight and I am glad we didn't have to spend too much time in the room , it was sutffy , not fresh air at all, the room was very small and next morning I woke up with a very soar throe because the A/C plus it was really noise.
I won't stay there again for that price I am sure we can get something better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our great location near Lake Okanagan and close proximity to the major event centers. I am truly sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. I would like to address your comments first hand and ensure your next stay with us exceeds your expectations. Please contact me directly at the hotel. Again, thank you for your comments as we encourage all feedback from our valued guests.
ayrshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed here from 4th July until15th july with a party of nine. This included four boys between age of seven years to nine years. Our rooms opened up on to the pool area and this was a source of delight to the children. the rooms were clean. plenty of towels. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I found all the staff very pleasant and friendly and on our last night one of the staff came to us and told us our kids were awsome and so well mannered. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, I plan to visit this part of Canada again ( it will take a while to save again) and I would definately stay at the Sandman.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SANDMANPENTICTON, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. Our Pool side rooms are certainly a favourite with our valued guests. I am pleased to hear that we met your expectations and your stay was a pleasant and enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Desk service was great. But the halls were in shockingly poor condition. At first I thought maybe they had some big event and didn't get it ready in time. But the grunge was ground in. Our room was about as far from check in as possible and required going through doors with luggage and weird narrow passages past rooms with padlocks on hasps like you might see on a tool shed. It was creepy. Plus, we were curious why you can't use the fitness equipment until 10:00 am, making it useless if you are on the go like we were. If you stay here you'll want out after one night too I bet. Overpriced and under maintained. No dazzling smile at check-in can make up for it.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your review. We are constantly updating our product to better suit our guests needs. I am sorry to hear that we did meet your expectations and I will certainly address your comments with our maintenance team. Our fitness facilities are open between the hours of 10am -10pm in consideration of all guests staying with us and their varying needs of a quiet atmosphere. I am happy to hear you were pleased with the service you recieved from our front desk staff as we pride ourselves on customer service. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can address your comments first hand.

Been to Sandman Hotel Penticton? Share your experiences!