“Not "The Ritz" but satisfactory.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Motel

Bel Air Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Penticton
Bel Air Motel
Save Saved
You added Bel Air Motel to your Saves list
2670 Skaha Lake Road, Penticton, British Columbia V2A 6G1, Canada   |
Ranked #38 of 43 Hotels in Penticton
Vancouver, Canada
“Not "The Ritz" but satisfactory.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We were in Penticton for the Thanksgiving long weekend, Oct. 8 & 9. Our relatives had several out of towners to accomodate. This motel was 10 steps from their home. The rooms/facilities are very dated but the sheets were clean and so was the bathroom. The front office/grounds staff were friendly. This motel wasn't high end but nor was the room rate. We met other people who were there for a wine festival and they also had no complaints. Again, not The Ritz but it served our purposes perfectly.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ipswich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

want plan to return, once was enough. Front staff not the most welcoming, pool was freezing as owner wouldn't pay to put heating on.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Staff ( Margaret & Betty) friendly. Chamber maid polite and performed her duties very well. The motel price was very competitive and as it was the Peach City Beach Cruise and Elvis weekend you were not required to pay for the full stay inadvance. Taxicabs to down town were reasonable and quick to arrive. A bonus was the car & motorcycle parade passed by on the street which borders the motel (Skaha). They are also biker friendly you can park your M/C outside your unit door. Restauraunts close by and also Tim Hortons across the street, Good brew pub 2 minutes walk. Overall a good place to stay.thanks Betty and Margaret.....Larry

Room Tip: Best rooms in l level wings. No one above your.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We last stayed at this Motel in 1998 and although the rooms were not the greatest, the pool, grounds and BBQ's were very nice. We made a last minute decision to go to Penticton for a few days and this was the only Motel that we could find with 3 beds. When we booked, we indicated that the rooms were not the greatest when we last stayed in 1998 and if there were any upgrades done since then. We were told that we were getting a recently upgraded room so we decided to book.

When we arrived, we were again assured that we had a recently upgraded room. When we check into the room, the only upgrade that we could see was new carpet, painted walls and a new shower head. The beds were old, pillows were flat and the sofa bed was so dirty that we had to cover it before my son would sleep in it. The telephone looked like it had not been cleaned in months as when we picked it up to call the office, there was dried food on the receiver (absolutely gross!). There was hair all over the bathroom floor from the previous guests.

The last time we stayed the grounds were immaculate and the pool was great which made up for the subpar room. Apparently there have been two new owners since 1998 and these new owners do not take any pride in keeping the grounds nice. What used to be grass is now all weeds, the lawn furniture looks like it was picked up at a yard sale and the BBQ's look like there were picked salvaged from the dump. We had planned to BBQ steaks one night but after seeing the BBQ's and the grounds, we quickly changed our minds. The pool was so cold that you could not spend much time in it and when we asked the owners if it was heated, they told us it was solar heated. I could not see any solar panels at this motel so I am not sure how the pool was heated with solar energy. One morning I got up early to go for a walk and saw ducks sitting in the pool. This means that there was next to no chlorine in the pool!

My family and I have travelled extensively all over the world and this last experience rates as the worst accommodations we have every stayed at. To make matters worse, we paid $800 for five nights (more than I paid in the Amalfi Coast in Italy which is much prettier than Penticton). When we checked out, my older son complained about some of the issues and the owner was offended instead of taking constructive criticism. Some of the comments she made to my son blew me away. I guess in BC, anyone can run a motel and be an approved by BC tourism.

We don't go to Penticton very often but if we go back, I would not stay at this place if it was the last resort. The owners don't seem to have any business sense and need to realize that you need to spend money to make money. We stayed at this motel from August 16 to August 21, 2009 and during this time, the motel as 90% vacant. We noticed other motels were fuller and some had no vacancies. This could be a very nice property if some money was put into it and proper upkeep was being done.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Being from Penticton we always go to the Bel Air a couple or three times a summer to enjoy the pool, the hot tub, (which they close early now). The pool was great, room was super clean, but trying to get into the hot tub at 9:45 pm they simply said "oh we closed it. "no sorry. The previous operators were always so helpful, used to give me the key to the hotub telling us just to shut it down when we were finished. (they showed us what to do), not difficult. But they were almost rude to a point and just gave us that cold feeling. I do not know If we will be back. I give a thumbs up for the rooms and the pool. glenn.t [--].

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

I have stayed with my family at the Bel Air for the past 5 years on probably 7 occasions. The complex is older and so is not modern. It is basic but provides everything we need including kitchenettes. It has a feel of living in the 60s/70s. Do not expect a modern facility or you will be disappointed. I have found it met our purposes quite well. I have always found the staff and management to be friendly and accommodating. In all our stays there has only once been a problem, a cracked hot water pipe under the floor which hissed, and that problem was fixed rather promptly.

Our daughter learned to bike on the roads near the hotel, and when there, we regularly bike to Skaha lake. We have always found the pool to be in reasonable shape. I frequently swim with my daughter in the pool.

We use the modest accommodations as a spring board to explore and experience the local sites and restaurants. Penticton has an awesome 2nd hand book store. The local eateries are fairly good if you go to the right places.

The hotel does offer reasonable weekly rates. The rates are particularly good if you can manage to not go during peak season. Short peak season stays will always involve the guest paying top rates.

I travel with my family a number of times each year to places within Canada and abroad. I have always found that staff at hotels respond to how they are treated. Any time problems have arisen we have always been able to resolve issues at the places we have stayed.

We will be staying at the Bel Air again this summer and are looking forward to it.

I recommend this hotel for younger families on a budget.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

Just returned from attending the Iron Man competition in Penticton. Myself and family stayed at the Bel Air while in Penticton; great family motel! I would highly recommend this motel for families wanting to relax by the pool, and not have to worry about traffis and safety. And for my partner, the hot tub was his preferred spot in the evening before bed.
The older couple managing the motel were very helpful and friendly, especially the wife - Betty! The rooms, although basic, are clean and well kept.
Overall I would say this is probably one of the best motels we have ever stayed at on a family holiday! Perhaps not the most convenient in terms of location to the beach, but the friendly and helpful staff, the nice layout of the pool (although a bit chilly!) area with picnic tables and barbeques available for guests, made up for the need to drive a short distance to the beach.
I would recommend the Bel Air Motel to friends and family!

• Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bel Air Motel? Share your experiences!