“Walla at home (in Seattle)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Walla Artisan Bakery & Cafe

Walla Artisan Bakery & Cafe
114-1475 Fairview Rd. | (The Cannery), Penticton, British Columbia V2A 7W5, Canada
250-770-2001
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 161 Restaurants in Penticton
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Penticton, Canada
“Walla at home (in Seattle)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I moved away from Penticton in September and knew that I would be missing this place terribly (and my friends of course), however, I was not prepared in how much. I live in Seattle and though there are loads of restaurants and places, no one makes bread the way Ben does at Walla. Thankfully, the owner and his wife are amazing! They are willing to ship or deliver (part way or all the way) their goods. I just came back from Vancouver, WA (yes I drove there from Seattle) to meet Ben's wife to pick up my Walla food order.

This morning, I woke up and put pain au chocolat, cheese danish, Spanish frittata, and focaccia buns in the oven. Breakfast was heaven. Four of us enjoyed these goodies and they smelled/tasted as though just baked. Unbelievable! I mean I could go into describing the perfect texture of the pastries and their buttery/crispy, melt in your mouth goodness but I wouldn't want to make the reader salivate at simple words. Instead, I encourage to go and have that experience at Walla if you can (or take it home).

I cannot recommend this place enough. I was diagnosed with Celiac when I moved to Canada (and lived here for a while). It took me years to discover a bakery that makes bread the old way (slow fermentation, attention to ingredients, lots of love and passion). I can eat this bread and I have no reactions. This is the kind of bread my grandma made in Europe. Now that I have moved, it feels again like searching for a needle in the haystack. I am really thankful that I can still order from Walla.

Thank you Ben and Sharon for all that you do! I will be placing orders regularly. As for right now, off I go to put a focaccia pizza in the oven so I can dazzle more people with your wonderful food!

• Visited November 2013

Calgary
“Best Sandwich !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stopped at the Walla Bakery and Café while staying in Penticton. Its a little place in a brewery warehouse and we thought we'd try it out as per tripadvisor reviews. Good choice !
Its kinda out of the way place and there was just a few misc shops in the mall area but this place did have excellent bakery bread and items to buy. There is a little dining area inside and some tables set up outside in the mall area. I bought some huge blueberry meringue cookies (biggest I'd ever seen), a couple chocolate buns and a salted carmel bun. We stayed for lunch and had the pastrami sandwich which was the best ever ! The owners wife served us and said they smoked their own meat and it was soooo good on homebaked bread! They served us a plate of fresh sliced bread and dip while we waited. Then the sandwich came on a large wooden board with a dish of sliced fresh BC tomatoes in onions and olives. There was a mini plate of hot pickles and mini dish of mustard and pepper relish. So pretty presented and we enjoyed our wonderful lunch and chatted with the other diners by us. I will come back here again when in Penticton and would recommend you to try this great sandwich !

• Visited November 2012
Peachland
“Gotta Eat Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Just popped in to pick up bread, as all the locals were raving about it. Wow! Tried a Cranberry, Walnut loaf which was historic and some Rosemary, Sea Salt Foccacia buns which were so delicious I had to take a bag for all my neighbors to try! The baker makes his own butter puff pastry from scratch and the taste is outstanding. Try the Pain au Chocolat, better than anything I have ever tried in Paris. Lots of interesting and delicious treats in the freezer to take home and try later.
This gem of a café deserves its success, a unique and highly enjoyable experience.

• Visited October 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Must visit while in Penticton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The owner Ben was so soft-spoken and kind. We couldn't come back for the lunch so he gave us a taste of his pastrami and it was sooooo good. He also gave us a focaccia bun to try and it also was incredible so we bought some of those as well as one of his chocolate flourless cakes. WOW! Sooooo good. The bistro is so pretty too, just like in the photo on his website. Be sure to check the times for lunch as I think it was pretty specific, or just drop by and get something to take away with you.

• Visited August 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was visiting a friend and wanted to treat her and her family for dinner. She didn't want to go out and eat so we decided to get some food to take home. After reading the reviews from Tripadvisor and checking out their website we decided to go here. The owner was extremely friendly and accommodating and we ended up chatting with him for awhile. Unfortunately, we made the mistake of going after lunch so a lot of his products were sold out!

We ended up getting a Pastrami Pizza, some dips, gelato and some buns. The pizza and buns were frozen and the owner told us how to heat them up. They were absolutely delicious and the family thoroughly enjoyed it! The only thing that was so-so was the gelato. It was a little on the pricey side but I guess that's what you should expect from artisanal made food.

Visited August 2013