“Awesome Location Great Owners” 4 of 5 stars

Black Sea Motel & Restaurant
988 Lakeshore Drive, Penticton, British Columbia V2A 1C1, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Penticton
Golden, Canada
“Awesome Location Great Owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Overall I give this place a 4 which is saying a lot for your ma and pa operation that is competing against the giants of the likes of Best Western, Super 8 etc.

So, he offered a key to check out the room prior to renting. I admit, I was initially skeptical, but my wife immediately liked the place. Its right across the street from the beach. The casino is only a km away if thats what you like doing too!

The owner is a great guy as is his friend which helps him out on a volunteer basis. He ended up giving us a deal due to circumstances outside of his control with some other rowdy guests that kept us up all night.

We spent three nights here.

I loved the kitchenettes and the place truly feels homey once your inside. Your kitchenette has all the necessities, including kettle, pots, pans, plates etc etc. The windows facing other guests is one way glass, also a bonus. I recall no fan in the bathroom.

The furnishing although not high end, are appropriate for the place.

I can't stress how hard it must be competing against the giants in the hotel industry. The owner did a great job with the resources that he has.

I must mention how the owners friend helped us with the TV. He was in the middle of cooking his dinner and helped fix the connections on the TV. Thank you!

If I had one complaint, it would be the lack of a phone in the room. I am a safety person. Having a phone in the room in cases of emergency should be a must. That is a minor detail, but also the first time that I stayed at a motel with no phone.

Overall, my wife and I will stay there again when we go back.

Just going through the rest of the check sheet for this review, there is no fitness center and no pool)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This one story motel is a basic property in a good location across the street from the beach. It is located amongst a row of motel's that all cater to the beach crowd. Our room was a one bedroom (which was a bonus because we had just booked a regular room). It had a kitchen with full size applicances and a living area/dining area combined. A large window brightened it up. There is a flat screen T.V. although not HD (if that matters to anyone). They had basic supplies such as coffee, soap and shampoo. Very clean. Would definitely recommend this to someone looking for budget accommodation in a great location.

Room Tip: Don't do what I did. I asked for a ground floor room and the building is only one story (duh)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Spent two days at the Black Sea. Scored an early season deal when we showed up of $65 per night for Fri and Sat. Place was great had a small kitchenette couch tv an table with bathroom and bedroom. Clean but a little strong on the deodorizer! Right on the beach with restaurants all around and close to casino pubs and river channel. Good hosts, private and small. Definitely recommend no prob.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Spent a week at the Black Sea with my brother during Peach Festival in August and we couldn't have picked a better place. Everything we needed was in walking distance, from golf courses to grocery stores to the channel that you can float down leading to the lake at the other end of town. The Farmer's Market on Saturday was fun to walk through and of course the abundance of wineries in the region was a real treat.
We had a lake view room, steps away from the lake, with its own seating area in the front garden. The room was very clean, beds were comfy, A/C was cold, and the flat screen on the wall was great when we needed to kill time. Though we didn't have a kitchen, the room was equipped with a bar fridge, microwave, and coffeemaker which came in handy to heat up a quick snack and keep the drinks cold. The motel is older, but it has been well maintained. The staff was simply amazing and extremely helpful. There were a lot of families staying at the motel while we were there, which made for an extremely peaceful stay. The price was a bit steep, but compared to the other motels around, it was still the best deal. I really hope to return to Penticton and I definitely know where I'll be staying.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at Black Sea motel last summer. The location is great, the rooms are clean and the staff is helpful. We enjoyed our stay a lot and will go back again. Parking just in front of your room is great. There are many places you can walk to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
vancouver bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Good points of this motel: nice and helpful staff, clean, quiet, great location, comfortable beds. Like the idea of the two beds in the rooms being separated into "mini-bedrooms" great for a family. Would absolutely stay here again.

Some points to remember: this is a very old hotel to which the owners are obviously making improvements. There is no pool, but it is right across from the beach.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my Ironman race. Didn't need anything fancy but needed to prep my own meals. This was perfect. Small rooms but very clean and simple. I would stay here again. I could swim right from across the street for practice. Could walk only a couple blocks to transition setup. Was far enough away from the finish line to not hear all the hub-bub the night before so I could get some sleep.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Black Sea Motel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!