“dining ambience at breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

250-487-4663
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hooded Merganser is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 158 restaurants in Penticton
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romance
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Named after the rare and reclusive North American duck that shares its name (and flew onto the restaurant patio during name selection) the Hooded Merganser is a culinary and architectural masterpiece that straddles Okanagan Lake to offer panoramic views of the lake and mountains.Inside, the décor is luxurious, the atmosphere is casual and the menu diverse yet surprisingly reasonable: contemporary local cuisine and phenomenal views of the Okanagan Valley.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“dining ambience at breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

having breakfast overlooking the lake ia a nice way to statt thr day.my hubby got french toast and i ordered omelette. nothing exciting. free refill of coffee. service was pretty good. cost? for both of us we spent around 30 dollars.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
KIRKLAND
“Not a good choice for those with dietary restrictions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Penticton was a wonderful place to visit. We missed lunch so we decided to go for an early dinner. Locals on our tour recommended Hooded Merganser as a favorite. The location was perfect, but the parking situation was confusing. You have to pay at a parking stand in the lot even if you just want to look around!
The host at the front desk was gracious and looked over the menu with me to discuss my food intolerances. He was sure I could have the spinach salad but not so sure about the lamb. He told me that the dinner chef didn’t come in until 4 and he’d ask him then. When I came back at 4 the young man wasn’t at the desk so a waitress seated us outside. My husband enjoyed walking around the property to see the view and pay for more parking while I relaxed at our table.
When I asked for a dinner menu and questioned the waitress on some of the items she told me she doesn’t usually serve at dinner. That was a red flag! I made sure I wrote down my food intolerances for her to give to the chef. She never came back to tell me whether or not the chef could make the lamb the way I wanted it, nor did the manager or chef come out to talk with us. This surprised us since there were only four other couples on the deck and a flock of wait staff just hanging around inside.
As expected, due to the special order, the meal took an hour to arrive and we were starving by then. They don’t provide bread while you wait. I was unpleasantly surprised when my lamb and vegetables finally came, black pepper coated everything. The waitress admitted being confused by the list and I felt badly for the chef who had gone to the trouble of making something special. I had to actually get up and go inside to talk with the manager and ask for the spinach salad instead. Fortunately it was fresh and delicious with only a light dressing and it came quickly. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his ribs and said the stuffed potato was excellent!
The waitress was apologetic about the mix-up and double checked with me about the ingredients in the dessert. The chocolate mousse was fabulous and my husband thought the cheesecake was especially good. As an apology she took the cost of the tea off the bill. After asking her about it, we found out that the restaurant will give you cash back for the parking fee if you bring in the ticket stub.
I would recommend this restaurant if you have lots of time and no dietary restrictions. Be sure to speak to the manager if you do though. The view and the relaxed atmosphere made it a great place for tourists. We even saw a Lockheed Electra fly overhead on its way to a fire fighting mission!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edson, Canada
“Consistent service and quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We go back here every year for breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. The Hooded Merganser is a Penticton constant, where you always get good service and good food. The location is great too, right on the lake, and piered in the shore waters next to a in front of Penticton Casino and Hotel. The view out towards Okanogon Lake is awesome, and outside seating makes for a nice afternoon or evening meal.

Visited August 2013
Mission, Canada
“Great food; great ambience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

You really do get your money's worth here. The service is fantastic, the food is fantastic, and not only is the indoor seating area beautiful, they also provide a wrap-around outdoor seating area (with heaters for nighttime). It was so interesting to sit outside and watch the ducks and fish (never mind the boaters and para-sailing. This was an extremely popular restaurant so I would recommend making reservations.

Visited July 2013
Penticton, Canada
“Nice view on the Patio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Nice place to go for a meal and some drinks,when nice outside......even inside when weathers not so nice.you are having a meal viewing Lake Okanagan,so it's great.they have heaters outside when it's cooler......Good food,good atmosphere,and fun to go...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere