“Annoyed customer” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Quay

You added Inn at the Quay to your Saves list
Inn at the Quay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   900 Quayside Drive, New Westminster, British Columbia V3M6G1, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in New Westminster
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Annoyed customer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I found the hotel to be very crowded with ridiculous over the top guests in the lobby. Upon entering the hotel my luggage accidentally bumped one of the people in the lobby whom seemed very tipsy at that point I apologized and in return got a very cold glare from the women an a snotty under your breathe remark. I walked up to the guest services desk and asked what was going on and they said it was a chambers of commerce awards gig. I have and still have no idea what that is but I honestly think they should have been more respectful to the people who are actually paying money to stay in the hotel. So from the start my stay at the hotel was complete crap just from people whom do not even work there even though I over heard what I though was the gm of the hotel with one of the guests and she seemed to have had a tad to much to drink. None the less the staff at front desk and the bellman were very helpful and nice And probably were the best part of my stay. The beds were uncomfortable, the river smelt of sewage and the trains are outrageous! I will not stay there again unless they get there hotel in order. As for that cold stared elderly lady with the over processed and heavily sprayed blonde hair, you should learn your manners and get off your make believe thrown. I just cannot believe they let people in like that... So ridiculous!

• Stayed November 2010
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that your first experience upon arrival was not positive. The date you arrived was the New Westminster COBE Awards - "Celebration of Business Excellence". I attended the function and yes the lobby was loud and crowded as the champagne reception was hosted in the lobby prior to the attendees moving to the banquet room on the second floor. Essence Salon's (next door to the Inn) owner and a very good business friend, was being awarded a "Life Time Achievement Award" for her contributions to the City of New Westminster. At this same event the previous year, I was honoured with the "Business Person of the Year" award.

I hope the Inn at the Quay does have an opportunity to serve you again and I'd be happy to personally oversee your reservation.

Kathy MacKerricher, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Cambridgeshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

The hotel/room was clean, comfortable and in a quiet area - stayed for 3 days whilst visiting Vancouver and it was fine, nice little balcony overlooking the river.
Skybus station about 5-10mins walk away, about 20-30mins to Vancouver centre, or 20mins by taxi.
The Boathouse resturant, right next door, although a little on the pricey side, was great - super beer, tasty food and friendly staff. Also a good looking pub next door, and another 5mins walk away.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I have to reckon every reviewers' comments. This hotel is indeed a gem in the city. Great find.

Price - My hubby and I stayed here for our anniversary night at a special summer rate of $99/night as they were doing a promotion for BC residents. For the same price, you can only afford to stay at a cheap dirty shady inn/ motel in the downtown Vancouver. Even for out-of-towner, it is very affordable at $159 a night.

Room- Great view; every room has a riverfront view - no joke, not street /city view. Even our room is just a basic king sz bed rm, the washroom is very spacious, it is well equipped, e.g. free internet, a small fridge/ freezer, hair dryer,tv etc. And yes, it has a balcony over looking the river and the dock.

Parking - very reasonable, right beside the hotel for only $6 overnight; while usually it is anywhere between $16-20 overnight at downtown.

The only downside is location. It is approx. 20-30min drive from downtown Vancouver and the airport. But if you are simply visiting a friend and renting a car here, this can be simply overlooked as the traffic getting in and out of this area usually is pretty good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
penticton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

First I would like to say that if my sister had not paid for our stay at this hotel we would have been extremely over the top with anger. We came for my sisters wedding and they insisted on paying as we were standing up for them on their special day.

The views of the river were great but the noise from the boats and crowds were not so inviting, The hallway noise at all hours of the day and night meant very little rest.

On our first night we got back to our room at approx. 11pm after some pre wedding partying and went to crawl into bed only to discover some thing disgusting on our sheets when we pulled our covers back. [---] stains we think , we called the front desk they sent someone to come check it out and then gave us keys to move to another room. no help no sorry no nothing.

The boathouse restaurant at the hotel is average at best. My husband had the primerib and it was inedible, my sea scallops were grossly over cooked , but the mussels were great. the breakfast menu is large and very pricey.

The ammenities were less than stellar for the prices paid for these rooms .

The starlight casino is fun but the Red dog lounge restaurant is horrible the food is bar food at best and the service was horrible. My husband ended up with food poisoning from the food and My sandwich was returned after the first bite as the beef was spoiled. So if you go eat first.

All in all we have stayed at less expensive hotels with much nicer ammenities and much better service We would not recommend the hotel to anyone at all. We would grade it a 3 star at best.

Also upon checking out one of the local working girls was lookling for the elevator to get to her next job. nice

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
InnattheQuayGM, General Manager at Inn at the Quay, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear macandkath,
I believe we have discussed the issues you've mentioned, again please accept my apologies and trust that I have rectified the situation to your satisfaction. I do hope that you have the opportunity to stay with us again and enjoy our great property as so many other Trip Advisor guests have done.
Kathy MacKerricher, General Manager
BC Okanagan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We were looking for a quick getaway for 2 nights. The reviews here on trip advisor were good, and so was the price so we booked a king room.
The bed was very comfortable, the room is a decent size for a few nights. Nice big flat screen TV, very large work desk and good Wifi. The little balcony is a great spot for an evening glass of wine or your morning coffee. Sit and watch the boats on the river, people strolling on the quay, or the bustle of city traffic. I was concerned with the Railway being so close and the train blowing its whistle at the crossing, but with the sliding door closed at night, we could hardly hear it.
There is a skytrain station right across the street if you want to pop into Vancouver. We didnt get a lot of time to wander and shop, but there will be a next time for us at this hotel.
For me there are the little things that make this place so great for the price. Instead of just your usual water glasses, they have wine glasses in the room. The bathing products in the bathroom are very nice, and not those tiny little one shot bottles that you have to work so hard to get anything out of.
When I asked if I could look at other rooms to see if there was a better view further out on the water, the staff at the front desk was great and let me go check out an empty room. ( there really isnt enough of a difference in the view to warrant moving)
Only downside was the weak air conditioning in the room , and the Boathouse restaurant downstairs. The food isnt very good, and service was hit and miss. One minute we had a nice waitress, then a nasty one, then a nice host and so on. Our drinks took forever to arrive, then our meals came, but not the appetizer we ordered. The meal was NOT worth the price, and the price wasnt that bad. Knowing that everyone has a bad day, we tried it again with room service for breakfast the next day. How anyone manages to make an omelet tough is beyond me.
There is the Paddle wheeler pub next door, but we didnt get a chance to have more than a quick beer, but the patio is a great spot, and we look forward to trying it again.

Walking the quay, with all of its beautiful flowers, families with children in strollers, seniors walking their dogs, fishermen with their poles dotting the quay, tugs on the river heading to sea with their barges in tow. We will be back to explore further.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Adelaide South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We chose this hotel partly because the rate was under $100 a night on hotels.com and the reviews were good. Parking was $6 a day and no free breakfast but it was available for about $10 for continental and WiFi was free and fast. Hotel very clean and modern, wide flat screen tv, stone benchtops in the bathroom and every room has a small balcony and view of the river. The boardwalk along the river was always full of people out strolling, walking their dog etc. Area had a nice vibe and plenty of pubs and good restaurants close by. The restaurant on the ground floor had brilliant food at a reasonable price. Only negatives were bed was not King Size, no microwave which I personally like, and the area is about 20km from CBD. Quick rail link is very close however and we had a car so it wasn't a huge problem. Always something to see on the river and plenty of shopping nearby for those who want it. Because of freeway system getting anywhere was easy with help of GPS (essential). The value for money and comfort levels were very good. Highly recommended if CBD location not desired.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Newly built and excellent value for money hotel in the suburbs of Vancouver. A 20 minute ride on the Skytrain (a short stroll from the hotel) takes you to Downtown and makes the heart of the city accessible.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at the Quay? Share your experiences!