“Strange place....not horrible....but definitely strange” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Corporate Inn Hotel & Suites

Corporate Inn Hotel & Suites
You added Corporate Inn Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Corporate Inn Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   379 12th Street, New Westminster, British Columbia V3M 4H5, Canada   |
Seattle, Washington
“Strange place....not horrible....but definitely strange”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Decided Friday to head to Vancouver on Saturday so finding a decent hotel for under $200 was challenging. Found this "hotel" which is about 30-minutes from downtown by car, easily accessible by staying on 12th street heading north which becomes Kingsway and takes you right in. First, this property is billed as a hotel with suites, but in my opinion it is not a hotel by any stretch. I would say motel. The older gentleman checking me in obviously was new so took awhile. I asked about the graffiti-covered closed garage. He told me it was locked. Didn't offer to open. Then as he walked me to the room which meant walking outside of the office, around the side, indicated parking behind the property. I've never had anyone walk me to the room so found that interesting. After opening the room door, he kept staring at me. I reflected on this later, and thought perhaps he was gauging my expression? While there was lights, they were very low-wattage. While breakfast was included, the restaurant was never open and couldn't find vending machines so I had to go elsewhere. I hate to sound finicky but while the room resembled a studio apartment, complete with a couch and kitchenette, there were many things not right as evidenced by the enclosed photos. There was a huge cigarette burn in the shower curtain, even though the sign said No Smoking Room. The microwave was missing the glass plate and there weren't any glasses/cups. The shower drain was clogged so I stood in water as I showered. The curtain over the window was clipped together, missing some hooks, and was dirty. There is no daily maid service. No bedspread which was fine for me the germaphobe, just a thin sheet. The blanket was sitting on the dresser. I always bring my own soap which was good since their bars were these teeny tiny bars. There were 2 lamps on either side of the bed, but one was missing the lightbulb. Whew. If you're looking for a clean bed, in a quiet neighborhood, this is it. If you're looking for a full-service "hotel" with all the attendant amenities then this is not it. Would I stay again? Doubtful, and again this wasn't a horrible place, just strange for a "hotel."

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

When we pulled up to the Corporate Inn, we immediately thought "no way" and drove away in search of another room in the New Westminster area. After 3 unsuccessful hours, tired and hungry we decided to go back to the Corporate Inn for one night and keep looking the next day. WELL! When I opened the door to our room, I kicked myself for even driving away in the first place! The room was plenty spacious, bigger than any hotel room I've stayed in before. It was clean, with laminate flooring (not carpet), a nice big tub to soak in, 2 big comfy beds and most importantly a kitchenette which was the reason we booked this place to start with, as we were in town for a bodybuilding competition and food prep is the utmost important thing when competing in such shows.

The best way I could describe the Corporate Inn would be somewhere between a hotel and efficiency unit. And the location for the price was unbeatable... just minutes from everything we needed and from all of the best shopping and sights in the area.

The staff. Oh my God, what can I say about the staff!!! Friendliest, most helpful hotel staff I've ever encountered! No, they don't have 'uniforms', or a dress code of any kind, and they may look a little less than professional, but they were incredibly helpful and accommodating, and even offered to cook our food! Any request we had, they were there to fulfill at the drop of a hat. They were also genuinely interested in us and our sport and would suck us up into conversations that could easily lead to friendships. Better than any hoity toity upscale hotel staff I've ever encountered! No request was out of the way, where as other hotels can make you feel like asking for the simplest of items is a nuisance.

If you are looking for a place to rest, where you can 'live' for a couple of days, cook for yourself, and feel at home, then give the Corporate Inn a chance. I am so glad we couldn't find another place to stay and would book again in a heart beat. We moved into a "nicer" hotel in DT Vancouver for the second half of our trip and I actually missed the Corporate Inn; they had bigger beds, more pillows, far more space, bigger bath tub, and more storage for our items. If you are looking for luxury and amenities, then maybe this isn't the place for you.

Room Tip: We had room 209... biggest hotel room I've ever been in and the beds were on opposite ends of th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Regarding a review by Eric C. if I complain about an old paper bag in my room and then leave a paper bag of pharmacy stuff I might not be surprised to see it get thrown out. Also, the buzzer has looked broken for years but it works.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

After checking in at 2pm, I found that the room they gave me had 2 plastic grocery bags in the cupboards, which turned out to be garbage from a previous hotel guest. Inside were rotten bananas and misc food packaging. Also, this room felt a little cold, but there was no self-controlled heating system I could find that I could adjust myself.

I went and told the front desk attendant, and he explained that the housekeeper must have missed it. He himself had observed the housekeeper finishing work and clocking out very early the day before. I was then promised a different room, which I accepted, but I had to go out for a few hours to do my business, and I said I would pick up the new keys around 5pm.

When I returned, I was pleasantly surprised with the larger room they gave me. It was clean, and it had the standard heater by the wall that I could control for a comfortable temperature. I changed to my evening business attire, and before leaving for evening events, I placed by the T.V. stand, a plastic bag of personal items which I had bought at the pharmacy.

Later that night around 9:45pm upon returning, I could not find this bag anymore. I looked in all the cupboards and drawers, even under the beds. I was very disappointed, knowing that the hotel staff must have taken it for whatever reason- perhaps they thought it was garbage, or worse, they stole it. I wanted to use the phone to call the front desk, but the wireless phone was not working. I had to change and put on my outside clothes to walk over to the front desk, but to my displeasure, the office door was locked, and there was a sign saying use the buzzer or call the displayed number. I was again met with disappointment to see that the button for the buzzer at the door had been broken off. Already angry and patient, I didn't feel like calling a the given number; I wanted to speak to someone in person!

I hopped in the car and drove the four blocks to the drug store (luckily it was open late) to buy the items I really needed for the night.

Next morning at 7:30am, I headed to the eating area for the complimentary breakfast, but the doors were closed and locked. I went to check out and to give back the keycard attached with the metal key (used to open the common entrance door), but the office was still closed. I could not find a slot for dropbox to give back the key, so headed back to the room and left the keys there.

By the way, about the outside common entrance door for which the metal key was provided this door had a broken lock . Add to this the fact that staff had removed my personal items from my room at an uncommon time of day without my consent, I definitely point out that security is a concern at The Corporate Inn at New Westminster !

• Stayed October 2012
Newbury Park, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed 3 nights. There was no maid service. On the second evening we were left a bag of fresh towels on the doorknob but not on the third night. We were given coffee for one pot for our entire stay but no coffee cups. There was only one water glass. The room layout was strange and the addition of a hotplate and dish drainer made it seem more conducive to extended stay guests.

Room Tip: They advertise several room choices. We chose a "deliuxe queen" which did not live up to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

If you want 5 STAR 'STUFF' go pay double or triple the price of the Corporate Inn. If you want 5 STAR STAFF and service, the Corporate Inn delivers. I stayed in April 2012 and was very pleased with their better than average rooms and amenities. The rooms looked freshly painted and the hardwood floors looked brand new. I stayed in a room with two queens, separated by the bathroom and kitchenette. I loved this setup because I was on a golf junket with a buddy and it was like we had a two bedroom suite for the price of a one bedroom. There was a couch, a desk and in the spacious kitchenette there was even room for a table. Those furnishings are perfect for business travel, not to mention reliable wireless internet. The Corporate Inn is ten minutes from downtown Vancouver on the Skytrain. It's 20 minutes closer to Morgan Creek and Northview Golf than downtown. It's 15 minutes closer to Westwood Plateau and Swan-e-Set than downtown. It`s 5 minutes closer to 4 of the other top-ten Vancouver Golf Courses. Those time-savings would be doubled or tripled at rush hour. The General Manager ran a 5 star in the Maldives before coming to the Corporate Inn and the Proprietor also owns the best East Indian (actually Sri Lankan) restaurant in Vancouver. These guys treated me like family! I`ll be coming back on business in the Fall.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Rotterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

If you expect a 5-star environment, this hotel might be a disappointment. There are enough things you could complain about: we had a defect lamp, a kitchenette without gear, old and pretty worn-out furniture - but the friendliness and support of the staff compensates this to a large extent. If you ask their assistance for any reason, they will help you within a few minutes, with extra towels, cooking pans or any other stuff you need. Breakfast is served in the Indian restaurant that belongs to the hotel; you can order fresh toast, Naan bread, scrambled eggs or Indian food and they will make it right away! Even if you don't really like Indian food, it's a nice experience.
Corporate Inn is located in Westminster, which is at quite a distance from downtown Vancouver. Still it's a good location for a city-trip: it takes a 20-minute walk to the Skytrain-station where a train brings you right away downtown. At 20 mins walking in another direction there is a shopping mall with a supermarket, and there are a few banks at 10 mins.
Overall, Corporate Inn is a nice place to stay if you don't mind to stay in an old room with no luxury. The staff is very friendly, you can park your car safely in their garage and you can be in downtown Vancouver withing approximately 45 mins (by using public transport you avoid traffic jams and expensive parking lots). Besides: Compared by hotels in Vancouver, Corporate Inn is pretty cheap as well - so you save money by staying here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 4 in Coquitlam
4.0 of 5 stars 249 reviews
Maywood
Holiday Inn Express Hotel Vancouver Metrotown

Been to Corporate Inn Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!