“Rooms in the '19th Century'” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arundel Mansion

You added Arundel Mansion to your Saves list
Arundel Mansion
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   48 Begbie Street, New Westminster, British Columbia V3M 3L9, Canada   |
Hong Kong, China
“Rooms in the '19th Century'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at the Arundel Mansion for a week.
Upon arriving, I was struck by the yellow of the building amongst the grey of the newly developing, modern New Westminster. On entering the building I was brought into yester-year. The old wood smell of the staircase and the wonderfully cared for dark grain wood brings me back to my grandfather's house. The antique elevator only added to the fun of my whole experience. With the fully equipt kitchen with its modern amenities from many eras of fashion, wonderful, well-maintained antique furniture, the great bed, an updated library and a vast collection of antique videos available, it felt like home.
An impressively organised transit system, the sky train, located conveniently next door, whisked me away to the many strange and wonderful west coast cultural experiences.
New Westminster is a fun and growing community with well stocked markets, shops and galleries with exciting food possibilities and a blossoming art and music scene.
It was a very clean and private lodging. I could relax in the biggest bathtub, the likes of which i had only previously seen in silent movies.
Anyone with an imagination and some knowledge of Canadian history, will definitely enjoy a stay at Arundel Mansion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Twisp, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed two weeks. Vancouver is expensive, so this was a find. Great value for price paid. Very comfortable king size bed. SkyTrain is noisy but we got used to it by the third night. The floors creak loudly, too. Suite was bright despite grey weather. The view south is good, but will be obscured by 2013 by a highrise. The 1912 elevator is a classic. I had booked by email but also phoned to get an idea of who the owners were. Myrna is a delightful, if talkative, lady with a literary bent (I think she used to teach). The kitchen was well equipped. Ours lacked a cutting board but once I asked for it I was provided with one. They have a wireless server so we were able to use our laptop. I would return.

Room Tip: We chose the south side facing the SkyTrain because of the king size bed. The north side might have...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights with my family. The owner, Mryna, is a very nice lady.
Little olde fashioned building, but good value for money. The train station is
right next door.

Pros
Nice people, reasonable prices, great locality
Cons
Train noise- not a big deal

Sai

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wales, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed at arundel mansion on a recent study trip, don't know where to start, the mice, the drug addicts or the sky train, the choices. On arrival we found poison around the room and when questioning this we was told it was to kill the mice that infested the hotel, no lie me and a friend shared the sofa bed with Timmy the mouse for 3 weeks. Timmy and his army often were visible in the hotel in the kitchen, guests luggage and the neighbouring cafe!! surprisingly the mice were not the worst part of this stay trying to leave the hotel one day we were faced with a junkie taking his daily fix on the door step, apparently a regular occurrence!! Finally the sky is right next to the hotel, for the first few nights it did keep us awake however we did just become accustom to it and it was convenient . Overall found the place to be dirty and it put a strain on our hotel. p.s. the rooms don't always lock so keep your stuff on you.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel if the sky train doesn't keep you up the mice will!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these New Westminster hotels

Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights, the last weekend of May. When we arrived we couldn't get in as the door was locked, so we had to phone the number on the sign. According to the owner that was Booking.com's error for not putting that info on their site. The elevator was old and rickety, my husband liked it but I had my doubts about it. Being an old building the floors were very creaky, so we heard the people upstairs walking about. We were supplied with earplugs, that should have been our first clue about the noise. Being a very warm weekend we had to sleep with the window open so we heard the sky train at least every 10 minutes until it stopped running at about 12:30am, and then the other train blowing it's whistle at about 3am. On Saturday night there seemed to be a party going on right below our window. The clawfoot bathtub had big chips out of the enamel, we were very concerned about getting lead poisoning from paint chips. The water pressure in the shower was terrible! We had to go out and buy our own shampoo, conditioner, etc. They supplied a big bar of Ivory soap, that's it for the bathroom, except for towels, facecloths etc. The couch was actually a loveseat, but it was comfortable. The kitchen and dining area were conveniently stocked with dishes, silverware, pots and pans, etc. Great price for a suite and it was clean. The bottle of wine and fresh flowers were a nice touch. Close to amenities, which is good. All in all it wasn't a terrible place to stay, it was just very noisy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Cloud
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Due to my mother's illness the Royal Colombian hospital had recommended Arundel Mansion. I was welcomed and greeted at the airport and after a short drive I was escorted to my apartment. I was pleasantly surprised by the charm, fresh cut flowers and the beautiful yummy bottle of wine that was much appreciated after such a long flight. I felt welcomed and at ease. I highly recommend this for anyone traveling from afar. Restaurants, coffee cafes, shopping and sky train just steps away. I'm frankly a picky B if you know what I mean. I travel due to my work and I can tell you that this is a re-visit kind of place. I thank them for making me feel at home under such a stressful situation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I came into Vancouver and was very lucky to find this excellent building. Very well kept, and clean. This place was perfect for myself as I was travelling. It was a large spacious completely furnished apartment with a comfortable queen sized bed, nice character furniture, and it even came with dishes. Everything to make you feel at home. Free wireless interet was included with the cost of the suite which was quite modest. Skytrain a block away made reaching the rest of Vancouver a breeze, also up the street from a coffee shop, bank and shopping is a short walk away. Definatly will be my first stop back in Vancouver.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Arundel Mansion? Share your experiences!