“Bad hostess, never got to try” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 283 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Nanaimo, Canada
“Bad hostess, never got to try”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We eat out locally quite a bit and have never tried here due to the word-of-mouth reputation. Despite what we've heard, we tried going there last night and I must say that our encounter satisfied the stereotype that Nanaimo's Cactus Club carries. We never made it into the restaurant as the 5 hostess' didn't seem to be capable of completing the task.

It was a Saturday, busy and loud, but they had 5 employees standing in the entrance (presumably there to greet customers). I couldn't get over how all 5 had blank looks on their faces, each one made eye contact with me several times but none said a single hello, gave a welcoming smile, or otherwise engaged in what one would institute as an initiating means of hosting.

One bright employee walked over to me and asked if I've been helped? She was pleasant and showed initiative until after my answer of "we're just looking for a table for 2" she left me to go back to stand at her post. At this point I was beginning to laugh and it was hard to conceal my smile.

Before things got painful, I asked for a table for 2 to the one employee standing in front of the screen. I didn't get any response from her, she looked down at her screen, studied the display in silence... waited... then gave the news the restaurant is full and we could find a seat in the lounge if any available.

She didn't inform us the wait time, just literally pointed towards the lounge area. The other 4 were still with blank faces.

The lounge was obviously full but we entertained the act of walking the circle around the lounge to be sure we weren't missing out. After our lap, we walked out the door, the 5 still standing post.

Our experience was not negative in any means, just comical. After all I've heard about this place, it was too funny to see it in action. The employees were not at all disgruntled, just un-engaging. All were dressed to the part and displayed ample time spent on appearance. We proceeded across the street to the Longwood were we encountered a greeting both upstairs and downstairs!

Our advice would be to avoid all the chain restaurants, unless you really enjoy the thrilling conversations and riveting expressions the Nanaimo's Cactus Club has to offer.

• Visited January 2014

Comox, Canada
“Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was our first visit to any of the CCCs. We were there on a Friday night around 5:00 pm. People were just starting to come in. We did not have to wait at all. We were given the choice of eating near the bar or in the dining area. We chose the dining area and the two of us were seated in a roomy booth.

The restaurant was clearly preparing for a busy Friday night. There was a lot of staff throughout the restaurant.

We thought that the menu was a little limited in its choices, but we both found something we thought we would like. DH had the hamburger, I had the fish tacos. The tacos were delicious. There was plenty of food and I was more than satisfied when I left. DH also enjoyed his burger. We both agreed that we would order both items again.

Aside from the good food, the service was great. We did not have to wait long to order drinks or food and the wait for the food was very short. The restaurant did a great job of ensuring that there would be enough staff for an evening that was clearly going to be busy (they were getting tables ready for larger groups that must have been for upcoming reservations).

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
goose bay
“Lunch ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Nice and clean also friendly service but in my mind it was way over priced. Had yam fries they were so so, nothing special But they cost $ 8.50, which was a lot considering how many we got.

Nanaimo, Canada
“Always a great time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The atmosphere is the first thing that made us choose Cactus Club, the service and food bring us back. You are first greeted by friendly hostesses and then waited on by staff that are always accommodating. I have tried over half the items on their menu and have never been disappointed. For a light meal, Bandara Salad is my favorite. If I've done enough exercise that week, the Butternut Squash & Prawn Ravioli is to die for...love, love, love. I could go on. I've tried most of the menu and never had anything bad. They also have great wines.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chemainus, Canada
“Class all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Have been twice recently. The first time we were in a bit of a hurry and so asked the hostess if we would be out in an hour. She talked to our waitress and made sure we kept to our timetable. It was great. The second time, no rush, we thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed a leisurely lunch and didn't feel rushed or pressured. It was wonderful. We'll be back.

• Visited September 2013