“The Grandest of them all!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Nanaimo

You added The Grand Hotel Nanaimo to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4898 Rutherford Road, Nanaimo, British Columbia V9T4Z4, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Vancouver
“The Grandest of them all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

I am a business traveller with a Canadian company. I travel throughout western Canada and the United States. I must say, the experiences I have had at The Grand Hotel Nanaimo have been truly magnificent!

The Grand is hands-down the best hotel in Nanaimo. I have been staying at it since I first came to Nanaimo years ago, and it still looks brand new! The rooms are very spacious, the suites especially, and are always clean and fully equipped. The pool and excercise room are perfect for spending a bit of time keeping in shape. The underground parking provided me the extra comfort I needed for my vehicle too.

The staff are the most friendly I have met in any industry. You are always greeted with a smile, and they are more than willing to assist you in any of your requests - whether it is extra complimentary towels, calling taxis, or making reservations for nearby restaurants. Their own restaurant is also very good for both breakfast and dinner.

Because of The Grand, I always look forward to my trips to Nanaimo!

• Stayed June 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

Our family stayed at the Grand for 3 nights in July 2006
the room was wonderful, the staff was terrific.
we would stay here again for sure.
A++++

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tallahassee,fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2005

We just returned from 2 weeks in Washington state and Vancouver Island. The trip was unplanned and unscripted. Since i usually use tripadvisor extensively I feel duty bound to write a true objective view of every place we visit. For the trip we just finished I did not have time to plan and make reservations. So it was a pleasant surprise to stumble on the Grand Hotel as the sun was setting early one raining November weekday. We had a deluxe room, I would recommend spending a little more money for this upgrade particularly if you will be turning in early on a winter evening. We had a gas fireplace, a nice sitting area over looking a pleasant garden, a balcony, a small refrig. The jetted tub was very appreciated and the bed very comfortable. We did not have dinner here but we did have breakfast which was reasonably priced and very good. The thing that impressed me most about breakfast was they were having a large morning meeting in another room and were busy but everything was still served promptly. I was also grateful for the advise offered by the front desk staff about things to do in the area and directions. I also appreciate that the hotel is not a big chain but had all the amenities of a more extensive network. We left Nanaimo for the Pacific Rim Park, a breathtaking drive across Vancouver Island. Nanaimo is the last bigger city we saw so it is a good idea to stock up there before heading into Vancouver Island and the west coast. I would have liked to stay at the hotel another day but time did not permit.

• Stayed November 2005
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

When in Nanaimo it is difficult to find a quality hotel with comfortable beds. Not anymore now that we have discovered the Grand Hotel on Rutherford Hill. The staff was very freindly and courtous through out our stay. We even had a swim in the pool which was a little cold for us Texans but at a normal tempature for the Canadian gang. We had to adjust our travel plans due to a holiday we were not aware of "BC Day" so called the Hotel and Jeff was able to confirm us for an extra night and greeted us that next evening when we arrived.

Very plesant and helpful staff.

We highly recommend this property if staying in the Nanaimo area.

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2005

What a gem we found on a little hill in Nanaimo. The Grand Hotel gave us one of the most pleasant experiences I have ever had. From the moment we arrived the staff here treated us like kings and queens. Everytime they saw us they were smiling and greeting us.

Our room was overlooking a beautiful garden and rock ridge. When you looked out the window you almost got the feeling you were somewhere else. It is so quiet and serene. We even saw a mama deer and her babies outside.

The food in the restaurant we superb. Go for the rack of lamb, its the best I've ever tasted.

If you are heading to Nanaimo definately head to The Grand. They make if feel like a home away from home.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

Dear Trip Members,

If you are here because you want to find out True and Factual information on the hotels you are currently hoping to stay at, I want you to be assured that the two "unhappy" reviews, although are most likely ligitimate claims, they also are only two experiences at the Grand Hotel Nanaimo.

I have recently been at the Grand Hotel, and I must say it is absolutely Superb!

All of the rooms are beautifully furnished, excellent amenities, and the highest of quality provisions (hence the reason for the $1.50 for coffee packages in the rooms). The room with the fireplace, has a couch and sitting area for you to entertain your guests or to just 'relax' after a long day, yes, you may not see it "perfectly" from the bed, but that is because it is set up as a 'living room' space (makes sense, would it not, since most fireplaces I have ever seen are in that area of the house!), then not only do they give you the extra service of the fridge and microwave (deluxe suites only) in case you would like to conserve funds through bringing back a meal or two, you have full use of the POOL, Basic GYM, Conferences may be booked or other events, and although there is only one Snack Machine, there is a Pop Machine on the 2nd and 4th floors, not to mention, an excellent Rock Wall/Garden view from each of the bedrooms facing the back, which often have deer or rabbits passing by, and a lovely view of the middle city area from the front rooms (and balconies are optional!).

This may not change your opinons, but it is only fair to give an updated and "pleasant" review, as for every 1 unhappy customer, there is usually at least 100 happy ones who do not give an opnion as the service was wonderful, and for every happy person at least 50 others agree! In this case, at least 300 happy customers would be merrily going about their ways, in comparison to 2 unfortunate groups of people, which seem to have had the worst luck imaginable!

I feel sorry for those who do not stay and enjoy the lovely meals, pleasant music and lounge area, and superb accomodations, worthy of its 4-Star name!

Bon Voyage, and happy holidays!

Cheers!

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

My Husband and I recently stayed at The Grand Hotel and have never had a more wonderful weekend. We stayed in a Deluxe Room with fireplace and jetted tub, boy was it nice to soak with those jets. The staff is wonderful and attentive, greeting us with smiles every time we saw them. They even remembered our names. The evening of our arrival we dined in the restaurant and what a scrumptious meal we had. The lamb and the steaks were beautifully prepared and came out sizziling hot. Top notch service and a beautiful hotel will bring us back to Nanaimo and The Grand Hotel. Thanks

• Stayed March 2005

Been to The Grand Hotel Nanaimo? Share your experiences!