“Christmas Buffet” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel Nanaimo

You added The Grand Hotel Nanaimo to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel Nanaimo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4898 Rutherford Road, Nanaimo, British Columbia V9T4Z4, Canada   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Nanaimo
“Christmas Buffet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Just finished the Christmas Buffet at The Grand. Do not sit in the lounge area. We were given our seat and basically left. I understand that is was a buffet but some direction and letting you know that it was ready would have been nice.You are not in the main track of the servers in the lounge. The lady at the bar was sweet and did help us with the few questions we had. My water didn't get refilled unless I had to try and flag down a server. Also in the hot food section some of the food was cold. So most of it we were on our own. When we went to get the bill there is the gratuity already on the bill. We basically tipped them 12% to eat average food and have to work for our drinks. Merry Christmas..Thanks for the disappointment.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

A superb place to have any function. Staff was excellent and attentive. I will return again because of the great value and service. They also have the place nicely decorated for the seasonal occasion. I was happy with my room and thought that the hotel had a nice personality.
Scott
Rootstown, Ohio

• Stayed November 2013
Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This Hotel is though nestled in one corner of the town but still so close to the Mall. The Hotel is quite modern in all respects with a beautiful Lobby n Dining space. The room with me was highly spacious , neat n clean with all the modern Gadgets.Since we were there for one day only in route to Whistler as a part of our official tour, we really enjoyed our Buffet Dinner. The preparations were all top class n the staff was really welcoming, courteous n helpful.
In the morning hours,I went for a jog n was surprised to sight a deer nearby. In the early hours, the Property presented a tranquility in air n I wished my stay could have been little longer.

Room Tip: The rooms on any floor but the ones having Balcony facing the Highway passing next to Hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not on the strip but very close to the shopping. It has that old time charm yet relatively new and very modern. This is a hotel you would expect in a high end district yet nestled in the mall area. The rates are very reasonable for what you get and super clean. Again Wow and awesome for kids and family. Enjoy

• Stayed October 2013
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Gorgeous property! Room I had was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The lobby is very welcoming and the staff were all genuinely pleased to assist with a smile. Good location with shopping mall and dining within walking distance. As I was on a business trip, I didn't have a chance to eat in the restaurant but did enjoy the lounge area, which is set in a very relaxing atmosphere. Next time I travel to Nanaimo, I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Grand lives up to its name. Another word I would use is " elegant". The decor reminds me of stately big city hotels where you feel special just walking through the front door. I attended a wedding this summer in the garden of the Grand with the reception in their spacious banquet room. The grounds were a lovely west coast setting for the ceremony. The food prepared and served at the reception was delicious, artistically presented and generous. The staff were courteous and accommodating showing patience and good humour with the several small children in attendance. I would recommend this charming and hospitable hotel for weddings, banquets or other group events.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Hotel is located off the main highway in Nanaimo. The lobby is very impressive, and the staff at the front desk provide excellent customer service. The hotel is located close to a shopping mall with has a pharmacy, grocery store, and hardware store. The rooms are satisfactory, our room was clean, furniture is dated and patio area is in need of repair. Be sure to request a room in the rear of the hotel to avoid the traffic noise. The Grand Hotel would benefit from ongoing maintenance. There is a restaurant on the first floor of the hotel, but also a few others in walking distance. The pool continues to be out of service as was noted in other reviews. We recommend asking to look at a room at this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in rear of hotel are less noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grand Hotel Nanaimo? Share your experiences!