“Worst Experience!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Bastion Hotel

You added Coast Bastion Hotel to your Saves list
Coast Bastion Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Bastion Street, Nanaimo, British Columbia V9R 6E4, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Nanaimo
Bellevue
“Worst Experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

I made a reservation with the central reservations, who confirmed with me that this hotel had enough parking for my car that I was driving , and enough parking for my husbands truck and boat that he was driving! My husband caught the earlier ferry across and had my son with him. When he arrived to check in - there was no parking for our boat and truck combination! They ask that he park 3 blocks away...he didnt' feel comfortable since when they told him that it "might" be safe. So my husband and son HAD TO SLEEP IN THE CAMPGROUND!!! Then when I arrived they suggested that I not park my car in the there parking garage because of the high crime, and when they were unloading my car ~ they suggested we remove everything in sight!! NEEDLESS TO SAY - it was the worst experience!

Stayed August 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

The Coast Bastion Inn is located on a hill overlooking the harbor (which is an unobstructed half block away) and adjacent to the quaint old town area. We had originally booked a room at a very reasonable rate ($125 CND), but after reading some TripAdvisor reviews, I asked to upgrade to a corner room ($165 CND). It was worth every penny!

Our room had two walls of glass windows with spectactular views of the harbor and beyond. The room was very large, and nicely furnished, and staff brought us chocolates and several bottles of water each day of our stay. We had a wonderful stay.

When I first entered our non-smoking room, I detected a faint smell of smoke, and asked the front desk if they had any alternatives. I was offerred comparable corner rooms on several floors and given time to visit each and decide which I wanted. The staff were always very courteous and helpful.

The room came equipped with a refrigerator stocked with purchasable items, but unlike most such hotel refrigerators, this one also left sufficient room for guests to add their own items. Several bathrobes were provided in the closet. Furnishings in the room were very nice, there was Internet Service (complementary, if I recall correctly) and a large work desk, and a very small balcony overlooking the view.

We will definitely stay here again! We recommend the Coast Bastion Inn enthusiastically.

Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

The Coast Bastion is the nicest hotel in town. The rates are reasonable and the rooms are great! I feel this hotel is good value for the money. This hotel is ideal for the business traveller with everything you need in your room with the bonus of a view and the occasional upgrade. I have been upgraded to a king room with corner jacuzzi tub where I took a rare bath and took in the harbour view. My room is always clean and suits my needs. The staff are very down-to-earth and helpful. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance, my favourite Nanaimo coffee shop Perkins and decent shopping - A to Zebra for women's fashion and The Flying Fish for home and decor. Nanaimo has turned into quite a quaint little town.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Cordele, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

The Coast Hotel in Nanaimo, not to be confused with the overrated, and sub-par Coast Hotel in Victoria, was superb. The staff was friendly, the hotel was nice, and the view was spectacular. Ask for a corner room and you will have views of the harbor from three sides, and still be able to see the inland portion of Vancouver Island.

Victoria, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2006

Stayed two nights, on business. I was told that I was in the unrenovated section of the hotel, but found it entirely acceptable. Amenities were basic, but both hotel and room were very clean and the bed was comfortable. Lovely view of the harbour. Staff were friendly, efficient & helpful with restaurant recommendations and directions. The manager's reception on Wed evening with tasty appetizers and drinks was a real treat. We went for the free noshes, but actually enjoyed an hour visiting with other business travellers and hotel management. We are told this Wed event is not year round, but it is a way to welcome business guests who usually travel alone and appreciate the sociability. We did! One other comment about location. The hotel is close walking distance to at least 3 good restaurants. The hotel restaurant looked good, but we did not try it because we wanted to get out for a little walk and change of scenery.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Mill Creek, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2006

We absolutely loved this Inn. We had just stayed one horrible night at the Best Western Dorchester and found it too disgusting to remain. We went literally across the street to the Coast Bastion and loved it! Such a great room with a wonderful view. It was very clean, especially for a pet friendly room! It was such a large room and well-appointed (I guess we got one of the recently renovated rooms!) The staff was great and we did not want to leave.

Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

We had an unfortunate scheduling incident with another hotel in Nanaimo. We explained our dilemma to the desk clerk who was very kind in accomodating us for the night. We received and excellent rate on a very nice room on the spot! The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly!

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Coast Bastion Hotel? Share your experiences!