“Lucas is the most fantastic server!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #33 of 282 Restaurants in Nanaimo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
“Lucas is the most fantastic server!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012 via mobile

We have eaten there many times. The food is fantastic and we had the best service ever from Lucas. He was very informative and knew when to come by our table. The wings are one of the many dishes I would recommend.

Vancouver Island, BC
“With so few customers, you'd think the service would be better.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Today we went to this restaurant for lunch - quite late, at 3 pm. There were only 2 other tables occupied.

The hostess seated us at a nice window table and left us with menus. We both made trips separately to the restrooms and still no server had approached our table. I looked around, caught the server's eye and she came over. We were quite hungry so ordered our coffee and meal at the same time.

The coffee came fairly quickly, so did the meals.

My husband ordered off the daily special sheet and got a pork bowl that was so hot and spicy that his lips, mouth and throat were burning 2 hours later! After 2 mouthfuls, he said he just could not eat it. Again, we looked around, hopefully, for the server. She was on the other side of the restaurant cleaning tables. Finally she headed our way, only to stop to clean 2 more tables. She came over, saw the pork bowl sitting at the edge of the table and asked how everything was tasting. When my husband said he didn't recall it saying anything about spicy on the menu, she asked if he wanted something else and took it away.

His 2nd meal came quite quickly. When she brought this meal, she commented that she had checked the menu and that it didn't say anything about being hot and spicy .

My husband got a coffee refill, but I did not.

The fish and chips orders were both very heavily peppered with black pepper. The chef must be a smoker is what occurred to us. The slaw was nice. Most of the chips went uneaten. My husband couldn't really enjoy his second meal because his mouth was so raw from the first meal.

When we finished, again, we were hopeful that our server would appear but it took quite a while. When she finally came, we asked for the check which came in a reasonable amount of time. And then she disappeared. We finally went up to the bar to pay. She asked us if we were in a hurry. My husband said he just needed to get outside to cool off because he felt feverish (from the spicy food) and she said, many people had felt the restaurant was hot that day!

I've been to this restaurant once before and found it to be quite nice. However, based on today's visit, it won't be a repeat. Given that there were hardly any people in the restaurant, the server should have been at least keeping an eye on our table once in a while. And the food was over seasoned.

The restaurant atmosphere was pleasant, clean, quiet, suitable music.

This restaurant visit - 2 coffees and 2 fish and chips, cost $46.00. Seems a steep for a mediocre, at best, lunch with poor service.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Love it here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012 via mobile

Always awesome food and service love katie. She rocks

Nanaimo, Canada
“Been many times! Always excelletn food and excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I have been to Simonholt many times since its opening and have never had a complaint.
I recommend it regularly to friends and the service has always been excellent! Lucas is a standout especially with children and Katie was also a wonderful server. Truthfully I have never had anything but excellent service by any of the servers!
The food is absolutely delicious!! Try the award winning seafood chowder - I don't even like chowder as a rule yet find it very hard not to order this fabulous dish every time I go out!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Always Good Food And Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here numerous times and always am at a loss to order. It all looks so yummy. Katie was awesome in her unabashed way of customizing our meals. She not only knows her stuff but how to make it better and cater to my tastes! Well done young lady well down