“ruined” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #153 of 479 Restaurants in Kelowna
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Mission Tap House, an easy going destination pub located in the heart of Kelowna's stylish South Pandosy neighbourhood. Our thoughtfully curated selection of craft beer is easily Kelowna's largest and most robust, featuring 20 craft beers on tap, from sessionable, full-flavoured, to seasonal and everything in between.Our menu has been carefully crafted as an exquisite complement to our craft beer offering. We invite you to join our social media communities to stay up to date on all our Grand Opening festivities. We look forward to meeting you! Our passion is craft beer. Join us for a cold one. Mission Tap House - Crafty. In a Good Way.
West Kelowna, Canada
“ruined”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I have visited this establishment a number times before it was renovated and completely changed. But not for the better!
What had once been a cosy neighbourhood pub and restaurant is now a horrible, stark cafeteria with table service. The service is actually the best thing about that place. The inside is now clad in reflective surfaces throughout and the floor is made of slabs that look very much like what's in my garage; and the resulting noise is almost unbearable.
The food is passable, no more. And not worth the price given that you can't really enjoy it in peace.
Very sad.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MissionTapHouse, Manager at The Mission Tap House, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Sorry to hear angfressen that your visit left you feeling sad. Our fresh new look has been a big change for some of the old P&Q regulars. We are aware that the noise levels are loud at times and are doing all we can to take them down. This week we are installing carpet in the far room to help dampen the levels. I would hope that the good service you received might be enough for you to give us a second chance once we get the noise levels under control. If you do make it back please ask for Tanner or Suzanne, we would love a chance to hear your thoughts in person

Kelowna, Canada
“Try Again....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

From the service, cold decor, young and clueless staff, and concrete floors I assume the target market has been decided on college students. My experience was like looking at a menu board at a fast food joint and comparing it to what they serve me... looks like a nice new spot but they opted out of creating an experience to generate repeat business.

They are shy of being two months NEW, so in their defence someone on the team better be online looking at these reviews and doing something to at least try to get 1 excellent review.

PROS:

1) Very wheel chair accessible as the tables are very spaced out.
2) Great location
3) The renovated exterior adds life to the area
4) They have parking, and extra parking is right across the street at Urban Fair

CONS:

1) The name states 'Tap House' but the tap selection is pretty feminine and of the 15 taps... Fat
Tug IPA is the only beer worth ordering if you are a beer geek.

2) The food is pricy for the items they offer, however this excludes the Entrees. The menu is of
course another BIX BOX CHAIN RESTAURANT styled menu that screams safe and prepared
in 'in-house' vs made 'in-house'. An example would be store bought curry paste!

3) Staff... It's obvious the owners went for looks vs personality. Our server was somewhat over
eager (puppy dogs) but friendly. His recommendations however were taken for the food but
the food definitely did not live up to his hype. In defence of the server, he obviously has not
had the experience of going somewhere being wowed by the experience or has extremely low
expectations of food.

4) Ambiance... does not exist here. The concrete floors, glass windows, and hardwood furniture
only enhances the noise levels. They did try to put some sound dampening along the walls,
but you would need to cover the entire walls with that stuff to even put a dent into the echo
effect. It is a more modern take on a pub, the space is WAY TOO big giving creating a cold
empty feeling and based on the spacing of the tables the realization was learned before
opening.

The Mission is in dire need of something to cater to a community screaming for something to be proud of and crave going back to. Was anticipating this to be it, but alas must wait for the next new spot to open up.

If you want a beer and a cozy atmosphere go to the EL Dorado's new and updated bar.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
MissionTapHouse, Manager at The Mission Tap House, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
I just wanted to take the time, HaliF00die, to say thank you for the feedback. We are always monitoring these reviews to see where we have been successful and also for insights into how we may do better. Of course we are new and there will be challenges along the way but that is part of the growth process. Our enthusiastic staff, our menu created with many fresh and local ingredients, and our changing beer line up will all contribute to us becoming a local favorite. We would welcome the opportunity to speak more with you about your Tap House experience and how we might make your next visit a better one. Please call 2508603472 and ask for Tanner or Suzanne. Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon,
Kelowna, Canada
“Growing Pains ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Despite the terrible reviews, I decided to check out this new eatery for myself. In hind sight, I should have listened. Everything other reviewers were saying about the concrete floors and noise were true. I think that everyone wants this new restaurant to be a success. It is clear that they have spent a great deal of time and money on the remodel. If you are expecting a warm and cozy experience like the outdated Pheasant and Quail, forget about it. Lots of people miss the ambience of the fireplace.

Although I know that the restaurant is owned by the same people as Kelowna's Train Station, I was expecting something different and fresh. If I want the Train Station menu, I'll go to the Train Station. Many items on the menu are crossovers.

I had the Smoked Meat sandwich for $15. I got lots of smoked meat, but I could have easily made this sandwich in my kitchen. The bread was a plain, room temperature rye, a little dry at that. I have the same type of coarse mustard in my fridge. I'd suggest that they trim down the amount of meat a bit, offer some truly exceptional marbled or coarse rye bread, and something special like smoked Gouda cheese and maybe make it as a panini. I got a small side of fries served in a metal cup. They were hot and tasty.

My dining companions had a chicken salad (chicken was dry). The salad mix looked like it was poured out of a bag. Another had fish tacos which were tasty but small. Lots of beer on tap but nothing that will make me rush back. Be prepared for a tough time finding an easy place to park at peak times. The parking can't nearly accommodate the customers. The patio is small but I don't want to look at the McDonald's parking lot, the Shell station and breathe exhaust anyway.

The other thing I noticed was the staff. They were pleasant enough but their attitude was so intense. Relax and enjoy yourself and your customers will too! Everyone was trying so hard to make this a positive experience, that it got in the way. Clearing the plates and glasses right away, even during your last swallow, made us feel rushed. Maybe I could understand it if the place was packed, but that wasn't the case. No reservations accepted unless it is for groups of 8 or more.

If the status quo remains, the Mission Tap House will have a tough go of it against some other options in the community. We were there on a Friday night between 6 and 8 pm. There were lots of empty tables. Enough said ...

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kelowna
“Service friendly, food...tasteless, bland, and completely wrong”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

First timer tonight. First impressions are very important, yes??? Our server was so nice and front staff seemed upbeat but I have to give a big failing grade to the cooks! My gf ordered a flatbread and completely tasteless she said and reordered and even though the 2nd order was a bit better than original order, still was quite disappointing she said. Me: TRIED to order a steak sandwich without mushrooms and even confirmed no mushrooms at least two times with server when ordering as I do not like mushrooms on my steak at all and guess what the steak came all completely topped with??? You win the prize if you guessed mushrooms! Sent back, waited quite awhile as I said to not just scrape the mushrooms and bring back out as another server asked if it was an allergy or something. No I just dislike the taste of mushrooms. I ordered medium and when I first originally ordered I clearly said medium or medium to medium well is ok too and the steak after the mushroom screw up was medium rare with blood on plate so I left the piece I cut visible and to show the server/cooks. I asked for a discount but they did comp my entire meal. That was nice of them. But cause of the screw ups from kitchen it took way longer than a meal should come out when not very busy in there. And beer prices are through the roof in this place off regular drink menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Was really looking forward to going here. Glad that Pheasant and Quail is gone. Our waitress didn't have any personality. The decor is in desperate need of some colour and life... Very drab interior. Good selection of beer and was well priced. Only had appies which were okay, nothing outstanding. I would give this place another try though

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere