“Good course - terrible customer service.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Okanagan Golf Club

The Okanagan Golf Club
3200 Via Centrale, Kelowna, British Columbia V1V 2A4, Canada (Highway 97)
250-765-5955
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 50 Attractions in Kelowna
Type: Golf Courses
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Okanagan Golf Club offers two 18-hole championship courses nestled amongst spectacular ponderosa pine forests and emerald greens: The Bear Course, designed by Nicklaus Designs and The Quail Course, designed by Les Furber. Kelowna is the perfect setting for any golfer with some of BC’s best golf courses, fine dining, vibrant culture, unique shops, orchards and vineyards all in the sunny Okanagan valley.
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Good course - terrible customer service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Here is what I sent to the GM of the course -

We played The Bear course yesterday morning (mid September) – the 7:57 tee time. We paid $110 including cart for the round as a foursome. Unfortunately the greens on holes 5, 6, 7, and 8 had not been cut when we got to them. I don’t know what time they got cut later on in the day, but those four had been missed. The greens from 9 on had been cut and were fine. When the marshal stopped by on 7 we pointed out the problem and he went back to talk to the proshop about it. When we saw him again on 10, we were told that “because we had received a discounted rate for the round, there was nothing the shop could do about it”.

I have a couple of significant issues with this.

1) To the best of our knowledge the rate we received hadn’t been discounted. We believed that we were paying the same as everyone else.
2) Whether the rate was discounted or not doesn’t change the fact that the greens were completely unacceptable for 4 out of 18 holes. There had been a heavy dew on Sunday morning and trying to putt uncut greens was practically impossible.
3) The response was simply very strange in a customer service industry. I’m not sure how hard it would have been to say “I’m sorry the greens weren’t cut, we are rectifying the situation, please come talk to us after the round.”

I went in to discuss the problem with the assistant pro at the counter after the round. I was told the same story about the discounted rate. Then when I asked what I should have paid to have all the greens cut BEFORE I played them is was told – “the greens were all cut before you teed off”. So not only do I have no right to question the conditions of the course, I am now also a LIAR??? Really? It was completely obvious to all of our group and YOUR MARSHAL that the greens hadn’t been cut.

When I reacted with disbelief at being called a LIAR and told your pro unequivocally that the greens on 5, 6, 7, and 8 hadn’t been cut – he said that they had gone out and checked 9 and it had been cut. Given that 9 wasn’t even in the discussion I’m not sure what the point of that was – but at no point did he even apologize for calling me a liar. He just kept insisting that we got a discounted rate. I guess that getting a discounted rate means – at your course – that the course conditions are no longer required to be up to standard. Paying over $100 for a round of golf carries a level of grooming requirements that your course didn’t even come close to meeting – discount or not.

The customer service that we received at your course was atrocious. Possibly one of the worst experiences that I’ve ever had at a golf facility. And all because one little man behind the counter couldn’t bring himself to say – “oh I’m sorry the greens were not cut”. If he had offered and apology and perhaps given us $5 per player in the clubhouse, there would not have been an issue and you would have made back the $5 at the bar. But instead he called his customers and his own marshal liars and was a complete jerk.

The net result of the email? The GM emailed me back and said he would investigate. That is it. We will never return to this course despite the fact that it has great views and a great track.

Visited September 2012

Vancouver, Canada
36 attraction reviews
“Great course, difficult and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The course was very well maintained, with great views. The clubhouse is nice with great food. One of my favorite courses in Kelowna!

The members are a little stuffy though, and look upset if someone under 30 is playing on their course. Also, the first 3 holes the view is of a road, but in kelowna the nice hill are always visable.

Visited July 2012
Kelowna, Canada
20 attraction reviews
“Championship course for a good price...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you want a championship course where you can get a good deal, this is the one. I rate it at the bottom of my top list of championship courses but the price makes it an enjoyable place to go. Prefer the Bear over the Quail but I have friends who would reverse that.

Visited September 2012
Kelowna
26 attraction reviews
“Enjoy the Patio!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Terrific ambiance on the patio enjoying the Okanagan sun, quiet golf course setting where you hear the occasional crack of a golf ball off the tee. And, do not skip over the incredible Yellowtail Tuna Salad. Amazing! Perfect on a hot summer sunny day.

Visited July 2012
Vernon, Canada
“Amazing wedding venue!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Beautiful setting, incredible staff, treated like royalty, food excellent, grounds amazing!

Visited June 2012