“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Eldorado

Save Saved
You added Hotel Eldorado to your Saves list
Hotel Eldorado
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Cook Road, Kelowna, British Columbia V1W 3G9, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 34 hotels in Kelowna
Vancouver, Canada
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is a nice get away hotel away from downtown. Our room in the arms section was comfortable and quiet.The rooms in the original hotel are quite small. The bar on the main floor is a great place for a nice dinner for two.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brad_Sieben, Manager at Hotel Eldorado, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear GTCOO,
Thanks for sharing your great experience with us and others. I love dining in our bar as well!
Thanks

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Princeton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband bought me the romance package for our wedding anniversary in October. We just recently used it and was told only one room was available for this package but it was a bit noisy.
OMG, the band played till 1:30 am and the staff started moving furniture early Saturday morning. The room was very nice, but the noise was dreadful. The staff apologized, what could they say.
My husband gets an A for effort, but we will not return to this hotel.
Please beware when booking your room, a bit noisy does not even come close!!!

Room Tip: Ask if the room is situated anywhere near the bar, don't go there.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brad_Sieben, Manager at Hotel Eldorado, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Tkg922,
I apologize for your disappointing stay with us. The Heritage wing of our hotel (17 Heritage Guestrooms) is built like a 1926 hotel and the potential for noise is greater in this side of the hotel. Certain guestrooms in this wing are louder than others due to their proximity to our bar/lounge. Our staff is trained to be very up front about these facts and inform our guests of the differences between our guestrooms. I apologize that we did not do a sufficient job in letting you know what to expect when you booked this room. We are fully aware of the limitations of certain guestrooms within our Heritage Wing of the hotel as it relates to noise. It is absolutely essential that we inform our guests of this information prior to their booking of these few select rooms. We want to provide our guests with all of the facts and then let them make an "informed decision" whether to book a particular guestroom or not. To be perfectly honest, we'd prefer that our guests find a guestroom that is more appropriate at a different hotel (we were sold out in our Arms wing) than have a disappointing stay with us. I'll also review with our food and beverage staff re: turning down the music when last call has been given and the bar is closing (no band was playing, but I'm assuming that the music in the bar was what you were hearing).
I'm very disappointed to hear of your stay. I'd really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you re: your experience. I did try to work backwards in an attempt to reach out and contact you, but did not find any guests registered with a "Princeton "address the evening you stayed with us. Please feel free to contact me on my direct line - direct - 250 869-6077. If you'd prefer for me to contact you, please email me a number I may call you on - bradsieben@eldoradokelowna.com.
I thank you in advance for your time.
Port Coquitlam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here in April, so it was not summer yet. Would love to be here in the summer so we could enjoy the patio and the lake. It will be a jewel in the sunshine I'm sure. Rooms were very nice and very clean. Great feeling there, not the usual "big hotel", small room feeling. Dining and Pub employees were very nice and super friendly. Only downer is the lack of balcony and in such a huge beautiful bathroom,,,,no room to set anything on or near vanity. Great shower.
Especially enjoyed the Canadian Geese nesting at the end of the wharf, go ahead, try to get close.

Room Tip: All rooms appear nice but some will be facing the lake, some not.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Brad_Sieben, Manager at Hotel Eldorado, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Terry B,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with TA. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at "the El." I'm happy to report that our annual visitors, the Canada Geese, have left us for another year and all of our boaters now have safe passage on our dock (they had laid eggs and are extremely protective).
Thanks for the feedback re: the bathrooms. Could you drop me a line at bradsieben@eldoradokelowna.com and let me know which room you stayed in (or your name so I can look it up). We've added many antique tables to certain rooms where there hasn't been a sufficient place for cosmetics bags, shaving kits, etc. I'd like to do the same for the room you stayed in if it hasn't been added as of yet.
Thanks again for the feedback. Thanks for sharing your postitive experince at "The El" with others!
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed in a spacious double queen room overlooking the carpark ( a little noisy). The room was spotless and comfortable. We enjoyed the small gym and indoor pool. We had a delicious breakfast in the charming old dining room with great views over the lake. Shame the coffee was weak.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brad_Sieben, Manager at Hotel Eldorado, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear PennyAuckland,
Thanks for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor nation! I'm happy to hear you had a great experience with us at "The El."
Thank you for the coffee feedback. We use a local company, Cherryhill Coffee. The coffee's flavour is usually described as "bold, but well balanced." I drink it on a daily basis and I have only ever experienced it being weak when a "barista" did not have a full grind (didn't realize they didn't have enough beans for a full grind). Having just finished my morning coffee, I can report that all is good now. I apologize for not delivering a good cup to you though.
Thanks

Brad Sieben - Partner
Kaslo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The location is perfect: on the lake, close to town but not along the very busy highway going through Kelowna.
This is a charming hotel with great service and the best food in town. We had lamb shank – and it was probably the best lamb that we had in Canada during the last 8 years.
If you’re going for a romantic getaway or want the full experience – try and get a lake view room. We didn’t have one, but the room was so well decorated that it didn’t matter.
The kids loved the pool and we enjoyed the sauna & steam room.

Will be back!!!

Room Tip: If you’re going for a romantic getaway or want the full experience – try and get a lake view room. W...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brad_Sieben, Manager at Hotel Eldorado, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear MauFro7,
I'm glad to hear that you had a great stay with us. Thanks for taking the time to post on TA.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Partern - Director of Business Development
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Eldorado Hotel in Kelowna is something that everyone must experience at least once if not many more times!!

I live in Kelowna and as such we tend to not enjoy what is in our own backyard... the Eldorado Hotel, restaurant, bar and banquet facilities is at the top of the must try list for sure!!

The location is perfect being right on Okanagan lake with its glorious board walk and marina. In 2012 we hosted our daughters wedding and I was incredibly impressed at the level of excellence we received from the first moment we stepped through the door right through to the end of the evening. The Chef is amazing and the appetizers served at the wedding were amazing!

This past week my 50th birthday bash was hosted at the Eldorado Hotel and once again the event was incredible!! I am grateful to have such a fantastic facility in my own back yard... I will be out on the board walk this summer sipping a nice cool drink and enjoying the view.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the "bridal suite" however I have been in several other rooms that f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brad_Sieben, Manager at Hotel Eldorado, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Nexttripplanned,
Thank you for taking to Tripadvisor and spreading the good word about "The El." We appreciate you making us your "go-to" place for your milestone moments!
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the El Dorado over Easter weekend. We found a great deal on Expedia for $97/night which was cheaper than a few of the low quality hotels in Kelowna so we jumped at the deal. I have only ever been to the El Dorado for their Sunday Brunchn in the past but it looked like a lovely place to stay so we were looking forwards to the trip.
Upon arrival we were given the key to room 325 in the newer Arms wing. The room was spacious with two small queen sized beds, tv, fridge, coffee maker, etc. There was no balcony but atleast there was sliding doors to let in fresh air. Unfortunetly the view looked directly onto the patio of the room next door in the older building so you had to be careful about keeping the blinds closed. The room was decent enough but it had the strangest smell. I am not sure if it is the diinfectant that they use but it smelt like a hospital the entire time and it began to get a bit nausiating by the end of the trip. The beds were quite hard but the billows and the duvets were very comfy. Good shower pressure as well but when you shower the hospital smell in the bathroom/hotel room gets very strong with the humidity from the shower.

The hotel itself if very nice and the bar/patio is great for happy hour drinks. Drinks are very expensive at about $7-8/drink. (Try the Dark and Dirty drink if you want a refreshing cocktail). We ate dinner one night in the restaurant and I had the roast chicken. I found it quite bland and the portion size was very small. The gnocci pieces that came with the chicken were soggy and flavorless and I felt myself wanting the add salt and pepper and maybe some herbs to the whole dish. Not quite what I was expecting for the price. My fiance had the panini from the lounge restaurant and he enjoyed it. My brother in law ordered the lamb and he said he was disapointed aswell with the flavor of his meat and the portion size for $40.
My fiance and I ate at the restaurant for breakfast one morning and I would have to say the El Dorado does breakfast very well. We both had the sourdough breakfast sandwich and it was delicious and the coffee was great. Maybe a good tip is save your dollars and just eat breakfast at the hotel since they seem to do that much better than dinner in the restaurant.

Our only other note from our stay at the hotel was the entire hotel staff is VERY young. From the front desk girls, to the service staff, to the cooks and to the cleaners, I dont think we saw a single person over 30 working there. The maids looked like they were about 18 years old. This is not really a big issue, but I have to say we did not feel like we were at a luxury boutique hotel. The professionalism is a bit lacking due to the young staff and it just did not fit the atmosphere we were expecting for a hotel which charges so much for a room at regular price. If we had not got the expedia deal and save ourselves a few hundred dollars I think we would have been quite disapointed with our stay overall due to the atmosphere and the little quirks about the hotel.

I dont think we will stay here again but we will be back for happy hour on the patio some day soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio facing the lake
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shamdala,
Thank you for your review. I'm like to take this opportunity to apologize for what sounds to be a disappointing stay. Please know that we have taken your comments to heart and we are using your feedback as a way to improve our business.
Your comments re: the "hospital like smell" in your guestroom caused us turn over many rocks in an attempt to pinpoint what could have caused this smell - we had never received this comment before. It took some time for us to discover the cause, but we confident that we have solved this mystery. The location of your guestroom, as you would know, was located above our loading dock. Our kitchen team had taken out some of our equipment to do some deep cleaning of the stainless steel racks that we use. I believe that the "sterile aroma" you smelled from your guestroom was a result of the cleaning that was taking place (wafted up). As happy as I am to see our staff working hard to make "the El" shine, both inside and out, out team needs to always be conscious of any potential effects this may have on our guests. I can completely, 100% empathize with you, and can see how this affected your stay. I apologize for our lack of foresight re: this.
With regards to our food and beverage program, our goal is to not to merely meet expectations - the goal is to exceed expectations! In our dining room, we are fully aware the bar is set very high (we set it high as well) as entree prices are higher as many of the for items we feature on our menu are premium products with a higher cost such as steaks, seafood and lamb. We are proud of the food we serve and always work to deliver outstanding dining experiences , both in our lounge and dining room. We feel that the greatest asset our business has is our staff. Our staff, in general, is very experienced (many of whom would be flattered to be considered young). We are pround to have many staff who have worked with us for more than 15 yrs, 10 yrs, 5 yrs, etc. We have very few staff who haven't worked with us for less than 2 years and we take great pride in having an experienced, professional team.
I am disappointed to learn that we missed an opportunity to "exceed" your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would like to learn more details re: your experince with us. These details help us work to make our business better. I'd also like to ensure that we can provide you good value for the money you spent with our business. Based on your feedback re: your stay and dining experience, I don't believe we've done that as of yet. If you are comforatble, please contact me on my direct line (250) 869-6077. If you'd prefer me to contact you, please email me your contact info and an appropriate time when I could call you. Email - bradsieben@eldoradokelowna.com.

I thank you in advance for your time.