“Very basic hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna

You added Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2130 Harvey Avenue, Kelowna, British Columbia V1Y 6G8, Canada (Central City)   |
Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Calgary
“Very basic hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here recently on a business trip and would certainly not choose it again--very basic amenities; poor housekeeping service and with next to non-existent internet. Perhaps the rooms in the tower are nicer but the room I was staying in fronted the parking lot and offered no privacy whatsoever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Shuswap
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I wrote a letter to guest relations, and have copied and pasted most of it here.

Out of all the hotels I have ever stayed at, including a few much lower-rated ones, this was the most mediocre and troublesome experience we have ever had. We stayed out of necessity, since my dad had a major surgery at the Kelowna General Hospital that Monday.

The front desk was very helpful, one young man in particular was incredible. However, the rest of the staff (such as housekeeping and maintenance) did not back him up in any way whatsoever.

- Our first night there, we discovered our fridge was not working. We had to be moved to another room.

- The second night, we discovered that in the new room that the phone was not working. Extremely inconvenient and stressful, as my mom was attempting to use it to contact the Critical Care Unit in the hospital. The young man working that night (Tuesday, June 11th, 2013) was extremely helpful throughout our entire stay. He was very attentive and apparently the only one who cared about the guest's experiences. I would hire him in a heartbeat, and truly believe that he is above your hotel's current standards. Every time I looked out the window into the atrium, he was zipping around attending to whoever needed attending to. He hustles, has great attentiveness to the guests and very obvious work ethic/pride in his work. It seemed to me that he was the only one who cared.

- After returning to the hotel at the end of the day, we discovered housekeeping did not make our beds or replace used glasses. The counters had been wiped down and that was it. I have never been in a hotel where something so obvious as making a bed was not done by housekeeping. After a few days of our room being left dirty by housekeeping, we had to request a full room cleaning. Never before have I been pushed to do this.

- Our keys repeatedly stopped working. The front desk staff kept stating that it was because we had our cards by electronics. The first night it happened, we took their word for it and made sure that the cards were not anywhere near electronics. But then we were informed that that is in fact a myth, by the lovely show Mythbusters, and that if a card stops working, it is because the staff has forgotten to activate it for the correct amount of time. This was such a major inconvenience and it happened on about four separate occasions. We did NOT appreciate being told it was our fault, and I was extremely annoyed to have been treated like an idiot, not to mention, as a business owner, you NEVER accuse your client or try to shift the blame on to them. The young man who I was referring to before did not EVER do this. He waited beside the person who was dealing with us, then asked my mom how her husband was doing. Incredible memory. We would park at the back of the hotel, near where our room was, only to find that our cards had been deactivated. Having to walk all the way around to the front of the hotel was extremely inconvenient and added to the already extremely stressful situation.

We did not book one week when we checked in, as we did not know how long my dad was going to be in the ICU for. We booked days a day ahead as we realized we needed them, and had informed the front desk that that is what we were going to do. They said it was perfectly fine. I believe this is what caused the confusion with the cards, but feel that the mistakes should not have repeated themselves as many times as it did.

Also, telling your guests that the paper slip is necessary to protect the card from electronics is offensive in its basic nature. It is very insulting to your guest's intelligence. If a simple paper slip was all that was needed to protect cards from electronic signals/electromagnetic fields, then everyone would use one on their credit card, and low and behold, you would have a simple, easy, affordable way to keep your credit card information from being stolen by external devices that can read through leather purses, aluminum cases, etc. Please. Spare me.

- The internet was extremely unreliable, and was actually completely down one night. I realize that may not be something within control, but it only added to our aggravation.

- The coffee maker leaked all over the counter for an unknown reason - it was not overfilled.

- There was an electrical code violation - no plate on the plug for the air conditioner. This is dangerous. I am amazed I have to point this out.

- The hot tub was apparently drained and cleaned, but maintenance neglected to turn the breaker back on, so the one night we decided to use the hot tub, it was merely a soupy luke-warm and extremely unsatisfying temperature. If it had not been for all of the other very pathetic "mistakes" and "excuses" and neglect, I wouldn't have even cared - people make mistakes. But it got to the point that when something went wrong, we would all roll out eyes and say "typical."

If it had not been an emergency, I would have read reviews before choosing the place for us to stay. Reading reviews now, it is very obvious that this hotel cuts corners and doesn't really care about the experience of the people who pay to stay there.

In conclusion, I feel that we wasted our money, and would never, ever recommend anyone else stay there. Other than the very helpful young man, I have absolutely nothing good to say about this place. On any other occasion, we would have simply found another hotel, but that was not possible in our situation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent five nights (June 9-13) at this hotel. I was booked to stay there because it was where our meeting was taking place. Before I left, I noted the wide variation in reviews on this site. The reason is: if you just want a place that is in a good location, and do not plan to spend much time in your room except to sleep, it is absolutely fine. Huge plus is that the front desk staff are all very pleasant and very helpful. However, if you are there to work (as I was) and need to work in the room during the evenings, then you might have some issues.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the property has an adjacent new-ish "executive tower", and that is where I stayed. The internet connection there worked fine, no problems at all with connection or with speed. The problem was that the "Deluxe King" room was WAY too small for me to get any work done, (and its proximity to highway noise would likely have been a deal-breaker for sleep), and I had to pay to upgrade to a suite. The lay-out and configuration of the suite worked out great - perfect size for one business traveller with lots of documents, and also space for colleague to do some work with me.
- I would give them about a 7 out of 10 for cleanliness. Admittedly, I am picky about this. The kitchen (except for nasty kettle) was very clean as were the carpets. The bedside tables had dust & some hair on them, (so I cleaned them), and top 8 inches of bathroom mirror (and the surface of the vanity bulbs around the mirror area) were kind of yucky.
- In the suite, I kept the a/c on at all times and it worked as a (noisy) noise buffer. I did not hear hallway noise although could hear other people through bathroom walls/ceiling.
- The bed and pillows were definitely not high end; again, probably okay for a night or two, but after a few nights, my neck and back were uncomfortable.
- There is in fact NO business centre. The one computer that had been set up in the lobby to be the "business centre" is currently not usable. However, the staff were more than willing to help me out by making photocopies or printing from USB stick when necessary. Had that not been the case, things would have been problematic for the work that I was there to do.
- Shower was great! Lots of hot water and great water pressure.
To sum up:
Pros: Staff were great, suite was a good set up, shower, location convenient;
Cons: regular room was too small for my purposes, bed uncomfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Terrace, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My family has enjoyed the Sandmans all across BC, so last night while in Kelowna we decided to stay in the Kelowna Sandman. We had been here a few years ago and it was ok, they were doing reno's at the time so it wasn't great. Well the reno's are done and this place is pretty cool now, we really like how the rooms look over the pool. The kids swam in the pool while their mother and I went for dinner next door at the Chop Steakhouse. The room was a nice size with enough room for everyone to stretch out while we rented a movie.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that over looks the pool, very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Prince George, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, even my hovel of a hotel in Tibet was better than this place. It was loud, the people at the end of the hallway were smoking pot, the pool area noise was not enforced (screaming and partying drunk adults - are you a hotel or a bar?), the a/c was not powerful enough to cool the room and the air must have been recycled since it was beyond stuffy. They allow pets here and one guest had a yappy dog that echoed through the building.. The check in time was ridiculously long, and when one customer complained about partying guests they were met with "well the hotel is full we can try to keep an eye on them" and a brush off of basically too bad, so sad. When we enquired about the partying they said we could pay more to be upgraded to the suites....umm...no, if you can't enforce guest behaviour why should I have to pay extra to be upgraded to a quiet area. I was not going to stay here, but it was the last hotel with available rooms (HA! I wonder why...), the lovely $69 hotel I stayed at before was full, or else I would have been back there. For well over $100 a night this is highway robbery, and as I try to post this for the 3rd time, the internet cuts out again....oh I lied had to resubmit again thanks to the internet connection...attempting this posting for the 4th time/

Room Tip: avoid this place, there is a lovely motel at the start of town (vernon side) that offers way more fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night in a king suite in the newly renovated tower. The photos are very accurate. The room was modern, comfortable, clean, and we had almost a full kitchen. We enjoyed our stay here, except the movies weren't working in our room, and the technician wasn't on duty, so it couldn't be fixed. This was a little disappointing. The staff were helpful, but it seemed like they were short staffed for a Friday evening. They comped our breakfast the next day as a make-good. We really enjoyed the warm swimming pool. I don't know that I would want to stay in a room right outside the pool as it was quite busy with tons of kids for some hockey tournament. However if our son was older, this location likely would have been ideal. The hotel is right across the street from a great mall for shopping. I don't recommend eating at the family restaurant nearby. Next time I would go to Milestones across the street or try Chop at the hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Pros – Well updated hotel, friendly service, and clean well-appointed room. I traveled on business so did not use pool facilities. But it looked great.
The hotel has many restaurant choices nearby including Chop, Cactus Club & Milestones which are all very good.
Cons – Had a lot of issues hooking up with wireless internet & there was noise of kids running inn the hallway

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna? Share your experiences!