“Depends what you want” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna

You added Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna to your Saves list
Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2130 Harvey Avenue, Kelowna, British Columbia V1Y 6G8, Canada (Central City)   |
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Kelowna
Ottawa, Canada
“Depends what you want”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent five nights (June 9-13) at this hotel. I was booked to stay there because it was where our meeting was taking place. Before I left, I noted the wide variation in reviews on this site. The reason is: if you just want a place that is in a good location, and do not plan to spend much time in your room except to sleep, it is absolutely fine. Huge plus is that the front desk staff are all very pleasant and very helpful. However, if you are there to work (as I was) and need to work in the room during the evenings, then you might have some issues.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the property has an adjacent new-ish "executive tower", and that is where I stayed. The internet connection there worked fine, no problems at all with connection or with speed. The problem was that the "Deluxe King" room was WAY too small for me to get any work done, (and its proximity to highway noise would likely have been a deal-breaker for sleep), and I had to pay to upgrade to a suite. The lay-out and configuration of the suite worked out great - perfect size for one business traveller with lots of documents, and also space for colleague to do some work with me.
- I would give them about a 7 out of 10 for cleanliness. Admittedly, I am picky about this. The kitchen (except for nasty kettle) was very clean as were the carpets. The bedside tables had dust & some hair on them, (so I cleaned them), and top 8 inches of bathroom mirror (and the surface of the vanity bulbs around the mirror area) were kind of yucky.
- In the suite, I kept the a/c on at all times and it worked as a (noisy) noise buffer. I did not hear hallway noise although could hear other people through bathroom walls/ceiling.
- The bed and pillows were definitely not high end; again, probably okay for a night or two, but after a few nights, my neck and back were uncomfortable.
- There is in fact NO business centre. The one computer that had been set up in the lobby to be the "business centre" is currently not usable. However, the staff were more than willing to help me out by making photocopies or printing from USB stick when necessary. Had that not been the case, things would have been problematic for the work that I was there to do.
- Shower was great! Lots of hot water and great water pressure.
To sum up:
Pros: Staff were great, suite was a good set up, shower, location convenient;
Cons: regular room was too small for my purposes, bed uncomfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Terrace, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My family has enjoyed the Sandmans all across BC, so last night while in Kelowna we decided to stay in the Kelowna Sandman. We had been here a few years ago and it was ok, they were doing reno's at the time so it wasn't great. Well the reno's are done and this place is pretty cool now, we really like how the rooms look over the pool. The kids swam in the pool while their mother and I went for dinner next door at the Chop Steakhouse. The room was a nice size with enough room for everyone to stretch out while we rented a movie.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that over looks the pool, very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Prince George, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, even my hovel of a hotel in Tibet was better than this place. It was loud, the people at the end of the hallway were smoking pot, the pool area noise was not enforced (screaming and partying drunk adults - are you a hotel or a bar?), the a/c was not powerful enough to cool the room and the air must have been recycled since it was beyond stuffy. They allow pets here and one guest had a yappy dog that echoed through the building.. The check in time was ridiculously long, and when one customer complained about partying guests they were met with "well the hotel is full we can try to keep an eye on them" and a brush off of basically too bad, so sad. When we enquired about the partying they said we could pay more to be upgraded to the suites....umm...no, if you can't enforce guest behaviour why should I have to pay extra to be upgraded to a quiet area. I was not going to stay here, but it was the last hotel with available rooms (HA! I wonder why...), the lovely $69 hotel I stayed at before was full, or else I would have been back there. For well over $100 a night this is highway robbery, and as I try to post this for the 3rd time, the internet cuts out again....oh I lied had to resubmit again thanks to the internet connection...attempting this posting for the 4th time/

Room Tip: avoid this place, there is a lovely motel at the start of town (vernon side) that offers way more fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night in a king suite in the newly renovated tower. The photos are very accurate. The room was modern, comfortable, clean, and we had almost a full kitchen. We enjoyed our stay here, except the movies weren't working in our room, and the technician wasn't on duty, so it couldn't be fixed. This was a little disappointing. The staff were helpful, but it seemed like they were short staffed for a Friday evening. They comped our breakfast the next day as a make-good. We really enjoyed the warm swimming pool. I don't know that I would want to stay in a room right outside the pool as it was quite busy with tons of kids for some hockey tournament. However if our son was older, this location likely would have been ideal. The hotel is right across the street from a great mall for shopping. I don't recommend eating at the family restaurant nearby. Next time I would go to Milestones across the street or try Chop at the hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Pros – Well updated hotel, friendly service, and clean well-appointed room. I traveled on business so did not use pool facilities. But it looked great.
The hotel has many restaurant choices nearby including Chop, Cactus Club & Milestones which are all very good.
Cons – Had a lot of issues hooking up with wireless internet & there was noise of kids running inn the hallway

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

"upgraded" meaning dark charcoal carpets throughout the halls ( too bad they never vacuum) . My terrible room was almost in the parking lot- cars driving by within a foot of my ground floor window. Dark and dank is how I would describe the room- wit a 20 year old bedspread- yuk- grat things was that I had to be up at 430 a,m. to catch a 6 a.m. flight

People running around in the halls - for hours - a call to staff resulted in no action

There's a bar and restaurant on the other side of the very very long halls- and whenI checked out people were still hanging around in the parking lot from the night's festivities

No one offered to help me with my 3 very heavy bags when I checked in by myself at a lo time

Room Tip: book elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
KelownaManager, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I am very sorry to read that you had a disappointing stay with us, and especially that the noise issues and assistance with your luggage were not dealt with. We do have a policy of quiet time between 10pm and 8am that our staff are trained to maintain for the benefit and comfort of all our guests and I regret to hear that this was not the case for you. If re-training of some of our staff is required it would be helpful to know the date that you encountered this problem but we will definitely address it with our entire team to insure everyone understands the policy and procedures to insure a quiet comfortable hotel for all.

I am also sorry to hear you felt that the hallway was not vacuumed adequately when you were here. Again, it would be helpful to hear the date this occurred as our housekeeping team vacuum the hallways at least once per day, and usually twice. I can assure you that the carpets are vacuumed frequently but apologize if that was not apparent when you were here.

With regards to the updating of our atrium section of our hotel, we are still awaiting the remainder of our new duvets and bedding but there have been extensive renovations done in the past year to all our guest rooms and public areas. Updates in the guest rooms include, but are not limited to, new carpeting, wall vinyl, bathroom vanities, light fixtures, artwork, fridges & microwaves, mirrors, and TVs, in all atrium guest rooms. While part of our order for new bedding has arrived, the remainder is expected shortly but we apologize that we did not yet have it in place when you were here. I am also sorry to hear that you did not like the colour scheme chosen for the renovations. As I am sure you can imagine, designers will not always meet every guest's colour preferences and while many of our guests have commented on how much they like the new decor, there are some that find the colours a bit dark. For guest's who prefer a lighter colour scheme in their accommodations, our Executive Tower King Rooms and Suites have a different colour palette that seems very popular with them. Again, I regret to hear the colours were not to your liking and will pass your comments along for future reference.

In summary, I apologize again for your disappointment in your stay with us. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to address your concerns directly so that we can narrow down the specifics of when this took place. This would provide us with the details required to address re-training of any of our team that may be required with regard to the specific issues that you encountered. As indicated previously, we do have policies and procedures in place to provide a quiet comfortable rest for our guests and assistance with luggage when required, and housekeeping standards that include frequent vacuuming, and we strive to maintain these standards at all times.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as we greatly value the opinions of all of our guests..
Should you be so inclined to contact me at your convenience to discuss this directly I would be pleased to hear from you and follow through with you personally.
Okanagan Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great room, clean hotel, friendly staff. I was here for business and 6 weeks in a room can be a bit stressful. The two things I didn't like about this hotel were the noise of people shouting and running up and down the hall and second the internet would take up to 10+ min to connect and I would spend about 20 min trying to open my email or my online course load. Most days I'd give up and go to the local Tim Hortons.

Room Tip: Upstairs back of hotel is better and seems quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KelownaManager, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your positive comments and constructive feedback. I have passed along your comments with regard to our friendly and helpful staff to the team and your words are much appreciated.
With regard to your internet concerns, we have been working with both our internet provider and the internet support company on improving their systems to better meet our guests needs and they have implemented a number of upgrades to the system. With the quickly advancing technology demands it does take constant enhancements to keep internet access up to speed but we will continue to strive to do so. The challenges that were slowing down internet access over the last few months have been addressed by both parties that are involved in the internet service of our hotel.
Our hotel has been designed to provide our Executive Tower, designated for business and corporate travellers, and our Atrium Complex that is configured more with family and group travel accommodations in mind. This does provide an opportunity to keep our different guest types in areas that have less impact on each other. It sounds as though there may have been some overlapping in the case of your room assignment and I apologize if we did not address it immediately for you in order to control any disturbance while you were here. If you brought this to our attention and we failed to resolve it, this is not our standard. Our hotel policy is that quiet time is to be respected from 10pm to 9am in consideration of our guests and there are procedures in place to maintain that. I would encourage you to always report any such disturbance to the front desk team to resolve and to let the hotel management know if it is not attended to, at our hotel or any other. Our intention is always to provide our guests with comfortable accommodations and a good night's sleep.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and hope you will stay with us again on future travels to Kelowna.

Kind Regards,

Kelly Watt

Been to Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna? Share your experiences!