“Bottom of the Barrel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna

You added Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna to your Saves list
Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1171 Harvey Avenue, Kelowna, British Columbia V1Y 6E8, Canada (Central City)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Kelowna
Victoria
“Bottom of the Barrel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

OK beds but not much more to say. Paid for a deluxe room so I shudder to think what a regular room was. Sub average at best. Cleaning staff entered room and embarrassed my wife saying "I thought the room was empty so I was just going to use the phone". Lounge was charging premium price for mediocre wine and the next day at breakfast they were out of 4 key items. If I return to Kelowna and this is my only option I will stay in Penticton or Vernon. Particularly shocking as stayed previous night in the Coast in Langley and it was a pleasant surprise.

Stayed September 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

My wife & I stayed in a premium room in the tower for 2 nights. Our room looked down on the pool and has a panoramic view of the mountains. It was surprisingly quiet.
We were there to attend a wedding and hosted a small reception (15 people) in our room. Room service was excellent. They made up trays specifically for us. Our guests were very impressed by the presentation and the quality of the food. Our room was large and clean. It reminded us of our stay at the Coast Santa Cruz (also very nice).
The wedding reception was crowded (more guests than expected) but once again the food was excellent.
The hotel is not on the lake but proved to be a very enjoyable experience.

• Liked — Good service and good food
  • Disliked — At check out there was a shortage of valet trolleys
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

Stayed there October 1, 2006 weekend in a 3rd floor room.

Firstly, this hotel is a Travel Lodge masquerading as a high end hotel at CDN $145 per night - not worth it at a third the price.

Good luck trying to get a good nights sleep since you can hear guests: walking in the room above you (loud thumping noises), in the rooms next to you (opening/closing their balcony sliding doors - sounds like it is in your room) and in the hallway (the doors close loudly).

Their restaurant is overpriced and not worth it - entree plates average CDN $25 each and have kinky names for small sushi bar sized meals...a complete joke.

Staff is friendly but definitely TIP HUNGRY which is disconcerting to say the least.

They HATE smokers and will fine you CDN $50 if any smoke gets in the suite (they have few smoking suites even if you ask for one), a poor elderly couple were trying to explain they had left their balcony door slightly open by mistake and some smoke got in the room...the previously polite Front Desk staff went BALLISTIC on this poor couple, berating them and they were intransigent in the same breath - I witnessed this and felt very sorry for the elderly couple.

Worse yet, this weekend was their People's Choice/Wine Tasting weekend (THE big yearly event for the area). Everyone was literally "hustled" from the outdoor poolside Wine Bar at 11 PM eventhough all were well behaved - this hotel could teach The Grinch a thing or two...and on other nights, like Saturday, you have to ask the staff to turn the outdoor heaters on even though they can see guests are freezing...cheap, cheap, cheap....

NEVER STAY THERE!!!

Go to the Queen Anne instead for the money OR a cheap motel which is about where this "hotel" fits in.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there ever.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dumfries, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2006

Situated in a shopping complex on the main (very busy) highway -although set back so traffic noise was not an issue. The exterior of the hotel was pretty bland as was the room. The staff were very pleasant and we received a complimentary cooked breakfast served overlooking the swimming pool. Hotel is a good 20/25 minute walk from the town centre along the busy main road.

Maple Ridge, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2005

We stayed in a Premium Room on the 7th floor and while the room itself was nice, the bathroom was SOOO small and not redone AT ALL. The tub was chipped and the surround was 2 different materials patched together with a whole lotta caulking.
The bathroom door and the sliding glass door were old and original. Disappointing because I thought the hotel was TOTALLY renovated.
The coffee pot and cups/glasses were on the already way to tiny counterspace in the bathroom. Kinda grossed me out so I moved it to the desk instead.
The hotel had only basic, basic cable so we didn't get the channels (like Treehouse TV - a must have for our 2 year old).
The bed was very, very comfortable (just as another reviewer had said) and the furnishings/window treatments/towels/linens were nice, but not outstanding. The ceiling was very high which made the room feel more grand than it really was, because if you took that away then it's just the same as any other basic hotel room.
We ordered room service and I ordered no onions for both meals and they both had onions loaded on...frustrating, but a simple call back to tell them of the error came with good results. The lady was very polite and prompt and gave us one of our meals complimentary for the error. However, even with their efforts, the chicken fingers were overcooked and hard and the fries were cold, hard and yucky. So my recommendation would be to skip room service.
My husband was there for business, and the breakfast/lunch that was served was also very disappointing.
So while our stay was not horrible, for the cost the value was definitely not there. Especially considering the renovations that you go in expecting.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2005

What a difference a million bucks makes! Great renovation job - huge rooms - great bed (pillow top - plusher than a heavenly bed).
Nice to see the Capri finished up so nice. Best yet: a Winner's store as part of the mall attached to the hotel! Starbucks in the restaurant and lobby - great meal in Vintages (what a wine list).
Nice little wine store as part of the hotel as well. Picked up a nice local riesling and sat out on the room patio!
Well done guys!

• Stayed October 2005
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

Stayed in the Coast Capri Hotel for one night Feb12/05. we had 7 rooms,
because we had a staff get together there.
The hotel is one of the 70's era I believe, it would have been the best in
Kelowna at that time, I remember it from the disco days ( early 80's) as it had the hotest and classest disco ( Tramps) also the best dinning room ( Vintage Room ) in the valley. The night club has been gone for a long time but the dinning room is still the best, a great Sunday brunch.
We found the hotel staff to be very friendly and earger to make our stay a good time. They have a year round heated outdoor pool and hot tub. Some were enjoying a late night swim, room service was fantastic.
My wife and I have stayed there several times over the years ( no I did not meet her at Tramps) just as a one night get away and it has always been great. I would book the excecutive rooms though, the superiour ( mid level)
rooms were on the smaller side and did not have the amenities that the suits had, like bottled water, nice glasses, snacks etc. The hotel is always upgrading the bellman said they were getting new luggage carts soon ( the old ones looked like there were from the disco era). They had pay for view inroom movies and games, have always had good room service and food.
Oh and it is locally owned and operated, I do not know the owners personaly. There are a lot of hotels in Kelowna
I think if you were to stay at this one it would be a good choice.
I believe if you were to ask the friendly staff for information, help or if something was wrong with your room they would do there best to serve you. And I hope so I live here and want all visitors to have a good time in are part of the world, we live in a paradise.
Heaven forbid if you did have a problem and the hotel did not look after you,,, e mail me, I love to explane to the hospitality industry that it is not just good enough to be the best, you have to WOW your guests... you have to be the best of the best.
My average rating is because of the shortfall of amenities in the mid level
rooms and older hotel, I did not see the budget rooms and probley will not.
Service, suits and food were above average.

Thanks for reading my review I hope it was helpful.
Cliff
cliff@cliffsadventures.com

Been to Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna? Share your experiences!